AR15 hit piece fail.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Nov 5, 2021.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I'm not saying the AR15 is the alpha and the omega of guns. The best survival gun depends on your location. If semiautos are banned where you are that kind of puts a damper on things. The best game getting guns are likely a 22lr, a shotgun or big bolt action rifle depending on where you are.
    But there's a reason why the government uses them, politicians want to take them and mom's looking for action want to ban them. Plus after it hits the fan there's going to be a lot of them laying about.

The maker of the video is "rational preps" and is titled: "Your AR15 will get you killed - soldier wantabe test"

I have found M193 bullets made by hornady broke apart down to 1,700fps, saying they don't fragment below 2,500fps is total BS.

Comparing a .224'' bullet moving at 2500fps to a 22LR is bs. My reduced blast silencer ammo leaves the gun at about 2,500 and is way more deadly than 22LR. There is no comparison. Only a dumb ass that doesn't know anything about guns would say such a thing.

Says you should spend less than $500 on your AR. That's also retarded. Hell my FN made upper cost a bit over $500 and that was pre-plandemic pricing. Worth every $ to me.
    It shoots about 2 inches at 100 yards with shit ammo and A2 sights.

Says that spraying unaimed 5.56 rounds into a crowd from 400-500 yards and only getting 12% of hits being kill proves that it's useless. That needs no response.

Trash talks the 5.56 AR platform for deer hunting. Well duha. Some states you can't deer hunt with any kind of "22cal". If I was going to deer hunt with an AR I would get 300 blackout with full power supersonic ammo, maybe a 6.8spc. No probably get a 300hmmr.

Says that using an AR for home/self defense is stupid. Seems to imply that if you shot some one out side the typical 4 to 12 feet self defense range it's murder. Appears to imply you should use a pistol for home defense. For home defense I say screw that, use a long gun and a hand gun is better than no gun.
    The Kenosha kid proved how well the AR works for self defense, shot the first guy in the head at 30 to 40 yards after the convicted felon took about 4 pop shots at the Kenosha kid with a very small pistol then took down the other perps well within "self defense range".

Says that ball ammo the military has to use doesn't work that well killing enemies...... duha and we ain't the military, we use whatever we want. That's a stupid argument, as if the only ammo available is ball ammo.

Says that if you have an AR for shtf you are stupid and you are are going to waste a bunch of ammo and there will be no resupply. If you waste ammo that's your problem, that means you didn't stash enough or you are just being wasteful. The only gun that doesn't apply to is maybe a flintlock.

Says you should have a bolt action long range gun and shot gun for close range and self defense.
    Which contradicts the part earlier about using a hand gun for home defense. You should have all that. I found a long range rifle is kind of useless on the east coast. You should have a long range bolt gun if it works for you, an AR or AK maybe both, shotguns plural not just a 12ga, some 22LRs, maybe a center fire pistol caliber carbine or 2, some handguns.
    An AR should be plenty long enough range for thick east coast woods.

Quotes general milley. Need I say more?
    Talks about the military going to that ridiculous 6.8mm round. The military always says they are going to go to some bigger round to replace the 5.56 but they see the price tag and are like nope.
    When trump said the generals are idiots we now know who he was talking about.

They got burned so hard for this vid they never came back. Maybe the whole channel was an AR15 gaslight/psyop.
    Looks like they disabled playback on other websites to slow the burn.
    Don't forget to leave a dislike and make sure you don't accidentally subscribe.
    whitakereye.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    jim2, crowdaddy, Tully Mars and 4 others like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah the guys other content pegs him as a fud who is anti AR15 and says you shouldn't stock pile ammo. Pretty much a dumbass.
    Then recommends the Taurus judge as the ultimate survival gun, because it fires ridiculously powerful 454 and flexible enough to use 410 shot shells. I have a 410 handgun and it's kind of useless. It's devistating at poker table range but very rapidly drops off to useless. Total dumbass.
    Says you shouldn't trade with ammo. Well I used to agree with that, after the summer of firey but mostly peaceful riots and making 3,000 to $4,000 a month for several months I can't.
    If someone had stacked cases of 5.56 when it was cheap then lost their job due to the plandemic, said cases of ammo could have easily been resold for at least 5x what they originally cost.
    Never say never.

Oddcaliber, SB21 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Shades of Gunkid and his debarked chihuahua.

jim2, Plainsman, 3cyl and 6 others like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Yea, total fudd, anti AR, Chad! Dudes pair never dropped and he is compensating, prolly drives a 12" lifted diesel duelly painted flat green and black, wears tan gater skin boots and stands 4'9"and smokes hand rolled coyote turds!

jim2, Zimmy, Tully Mars and 7 others like this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah that is some gunkid level shit. Never considered that. But it fits.
    The Taurus judge revolver as the ultimate survival gun does sound like some combat wheelbarrow and barkless chinchilla level shit.

For me a heavy frame 44mag or a 45colt that's been pumped up to 44mag level is the limit for me. I can't imagine doubling the muzzel energy of a 44mag.

Oh I lost a part of my original post, the page refreshed while typing, the guy says level 3A body armor will stop a 12 gauge slug. That's BS, level 3A will stop the 12ga deer slug from going through you, it doesn't protect you, if you get hit in the chest you're definitely dead.

Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Found another psyops/gaslight full retard, dip shit anti AR15 article.
    Why the AR-15 Sucks for Preppers

Bullet point 1
    "The height over bore is too high"
    For 1 not that it really matters and 2 the vast majority of ARs are flat tops now. So if it's a problem buy a flat top. It's not the 1990s, flat tops are common these days, more common than carry handles.

Point 2
    "The gas tube is fragiley"
    Lie. There is no shortage of tests on the Internet where the guns are shot till the barrel is worn out and bullets keyhole, some where around 10,000 shots. No mention of the gas tube failing. It would appear the gas tube is the intended point of failure to keep some one from running full auto to the point where the chamber warps. Not a problem for semiautos.

Point 3
    "The star bolt is the biggest design flaw"
    i. "Because it's not accurate", lie. The Henry long ranger uses the "star bolt" and produces MOA accuracy no problem.
    AKs use "the more accurate" 2 lug bolt and are not known for their accuracy at all.
    ii. "It's too hard to clean" well I can get mine perfectly clean, not that I want to. Just because they aren't smart enough to figure it out and/or are too broke to buy the right stuff doesn't mean it's a design flaw. That's a you flaw. The deep 2 lug bolts really aren't much easier to clean if at all.
    iii. "Dirt, wear, ice won't allow the star bolt to lock up" and a 2 lug bolt would be any different? It won't work when it wears out, has ice in it or is full or dirt, well no shit sherlock. What will?

Point 4
    "the extractor design has problems"
    If you have to beat a stuck case out of the chamber with a cleaning rod it wasn't the extractors fault. Worn extractors cause failure to extract under normal operations, rounds coated with some grit cause rounds to stick in the chamber real good after firing. Also leaving a round to cook in a hot chamber can cause massive over pressure and a stuck case.

Point 5
    "The 5.56 round isn't tapered enough"
    Well that sounds like the problem is cartridge design and not the gun it's self.
    Get an AR chambered in 7.62x39, problem solved if it's really a problem.

Point 6
    "the gas system is too fast, tries to open under pressure with great force" Maybe in a hellishly over gassed pistol. There is plenty of high speed videos are available of the AR or M16 firing, the bolt not even trying to move until the bullet is well away from the muzzel. Plus I thought they just said the extractor barely works, how can it barely work and pull the case out with great force? Makes no sense pick one.

Point 7
    "poor magazines"
    Everything here describes not a gun design problem. There are no shortage of junk mags out there for everything. So because the US government bought cheap mags and reused "one time use magazines" until they wore completely out doesn't mean it's a gun problem, that's a logistics supply problem. My 30 rounders hold 30 but I don't buy cheap junk built by the lowest bidder.

Point 8
    "the gas tube dumps carbon into the loading bay" A non problem. I run silencer load most of my ammo with dirty ball powder which dumps way more soot into the loading area compared to no silencer and don't have any problems. 10 shots with my silencer looks like a full day at the range with out a silencer.

Point 9
    "something about the hammer" I'm not sure what the point here was. I think he's complaining that the hammer can't hit the firing pin when it's out of battery. The hammer is not supposed to drop on the firing pin when the round is out of battery, by design so the gun doesn't blow up.
    I swear this guy probably requires a helmet to cross the street.

Point 10
    "cheap magazines" again, not a rifle design problem, don't buy cheap junk mags, problem solved.

Point 11
    "the bolt wobles, doesn't line up" Wrong/lie/plausible . This can happen I have seen it. But! Only if the barrel was built incorrectly or the upper is way is warn out. Don't buy cheap junk, replace your stuff when it wears out. If it seems like the bolt is hitting the lugs as it goes into battery something is F'n wrong.

Point 12
    "buffer spring and buffer out of ballance" that can absolutely happen. People mixing and matching all kinds of different parts not knowing what they're doing. Again, not a design problem. That's a lack of education problem and destitute people thinking they can be their own gun smith problem. Keep AR15 rifle buffers and springs with AR15 rifles, AR15 carbine sprigs and buffers with AR15 carbines and they will run. Keep pistol stuff with pistols and keep AR10 stuff in an AR10. Again not a design problem. This is a "you're an idiot problem".

To me it seems like the 2 biggest problems with the AR15 are stupid people and stupid people buying cheap junk.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    Zimmy, jim2, Tully Mars and 1 other person like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

An expert giving credentials as a 28 year Green Beret with a background in manufacturing but expects us to believe that without even knowing his name? I could clam to have been a SEAL for 50 years (I started at 10 and still contract for special missions where the youngsters can't handle it) for what it's worth.

OK, he doesn't like the platform. Then get something else and while you are at it provide an alternative and tell us why. People who complain without fixing the problem or at least a solution are otherwise known as "whiners" as opposed to "winners".

He could also tell us why both Russia and China have developed their own version of 5.56 (in different calibers) that have the same type of cartridge and shoulder geometry, or why China is dropping the AK design altogether with their own copy of the Adams short stroke piston AR?

Tully Mars, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Glad I sold mine during the last gun scare but I'm keeping my 870 duck gun for rabbits and ducks !

Tully Mars, Ura-Ki, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  9. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

One reason for using the .223/5.56 round is that in a SHTF situation the only ammo available might well be the.223/5.56 round...if you can find any!

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and crowdaddy like this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

According to lucky gunner 223/5.56 is the top selling ammo in the United States.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have found the venerable Winchester 30-30, and .308 can be had in every rural hardware store in the country…

12. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Yeah, but there will always be ammo in military and law enforcement calibers...9mm, 223/5.56 and .308/7.62x51. It may be difficult to come by after SHTF, but it will be there.

13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Another "AR15 replacement round" that isn't needed and no one asked for.
    At 6:10 pretty much sums it up, "good at close range" which means not as good as M193, plus going to the fatter heavier rounds means mags hold less, weigh more and means grunts are carrying less ammo. Oh but it's "good out past 500 yards" where it isn't needed.
    The 6mm arc lobs a 100gr bullet at 2,700 to 2,800fps. Sounds kind of like 6.8SPC which was DOA.
    That's going to make significantly more blast and recoil than 5.56, mags are heavier and hold fewer shots so you gave up all the advantages 5.56 has at closer ranges for a long range capability that will almost never be used.
    The fatter case head means the bolt isn't as thic where you want it thicc.

How about noooo.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Ok then! Let's try this from the other direction shall we!
    Why is the AR the best SHTF weapon choice, and why you should have one or more!
    1) light fast handy, accurate, pretty much end of discussion!
    2) super simple, easy to service and maintain.
    3) parts availability with out equal, if you need it, you can find it at most any gun shop or on line.
    4) cheap and easy to feed, this should mean your shooting and practicing often and actually learning and getting good!
    5) proper all around caliber. You can carry a lot of rounds on you and never feel under gunned. You can hunt with it out to reasonable distances, defend yourself and it will keep on running long after.
    6) being smaller and somewhat quieter, it's going to be harder to track you while shooting, enemies will have to expend more effort to try and spot you, even better if your suppressed!
    7) super easy to suppress. A suppressed AR is second to none as a defensive fighting tool, you have all the advantages going into a fight when suppressed!
    8) ammo selection is a non issue, stick with any of the proven mil.rounds and you should not have much problems just be sure to keep your stash relevant to the rifle your using!

Side bar here on ammo. Not all 5.56 is the same. M-193 is kinda the gold standard for the AR. Pile it high and deep and you will never want for ammo in SHTF.
    M-855 sucks in anything with a barrel length less then 16" best from a 20" tube. M-855 does funny things when launched from shorter barrels, lethality isn't near as good, ice picking is almost a garentee!
    M-262 is the ammo you really want for your sub 16" carbine, but even the 20" rifles love it!
    Hornady Black 77 grain soft point or Black Hills 77 grain softpoints are the gold standard for shorter barreled ARs especially in the sweet spot of 10" to 14" barrels. Any shorter and your really giving up any real advantage of having a 5.56 over a hand gun and it's chosen ammo! Longer barrels will be capable of MOA out to 800 meters or so if it's a quality barrel and you actually practice and know your system!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

My 20 inch 1:7 twist rifle really doesn't like any 55gr ammo.

16. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

My 20" didn't like 55gr either. Black Hills 68gr was it's favorite diet, but it was traded off years ago because it was just too heavy with the match barrel for my intended usage.

Ura-Ki, CraftyMofo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

My old Colt N.M. 20 service rifle loves the 55 grainers, especially the hotter stuff, it's 1/9 barrel likely has a lot to do with that, along with the better A-2 sights! My SBR ed carbine with it's 1/8 twist seems about the limit to what can still shoot the 55s well enough, haven't even bothered with the 1/7 twist, don't really shoot anything heavier then the 77 grain pills!

Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

No offense intended to anyone here:
    I have had a great many Failure to Feed/Fire in M16's during my time in the US Army. I only found one that was reliable, but was worthless past 300M due too poor accuracy. A 20% FTF rate has been reported in the Middle East. Therefore, I do not like the platform, and carried anything else available when I could. I preferred the M14, AK, M60, and the M3a1 all preferable to the AR. Engagement ranges for me have mostly been between 25-100M approximately. The ammo has been adequate, but I am given to understand that this has improved . Penetration of chance barriers, brush, and vehicles was less than stellar.

All these reasons are why I do not and will not own an AR. If the platform works for others, good deal. I make no judgements of others.

I recently took a friends RRA to the range that "Never had any problems" and after about 200 rds, (Lake City M193 ball) the carbine jammed so badly it required a complete field strip and cleaning. I havent touched an AR since then. I just dont trust the platform, and will stick with my bolt gun.

Again, I dont mean to insult anyone here,
    Jim

Tempstar, Gator 45/70 and CraftyMofo like this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I live in high plains NM which is pretty much Afghanistan.
    My stuff doesn't have any problems, it's not worn out and I keep the dust out of my stuff, I wouldn't say I clean them regularly but I do keep the ammo clean. Those magpuls with the dust covers are the shit.
    I would definitely say the 5.56 round effectiveness on point targets seems to be 250 yards and less.
    I have a new 69gr HPBT rifle load that's pretty accurate and goes over the chronograph at about 2,950fps. I haven't tested it over 100 yards yet.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    jim2 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I had a friends son shooting my Colt and it jammed. This had never happened with this gun, and it was clean. I inspected it and found it to still be clean. I burned through 30 and gave it back to him with a fresh mag and 10-12 rounds in, it jammed again. Again, no obvious reason. I then thought about limp wrist pistol shooters, and had him adjust his stance and pull in tightly, and no more jams. Later on I tried everything including just holding with one hand and couldn't make it replicate that jamming. I also have an Aero that I bought for half price because it jammed for the owner all of the time. I haven't had a jam or FTF on it in about 500 rounds. It makes one wonder.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7