AR15/M4 Recoil

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by TailorMadeHell, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Come on BT, everyone knows you only need a tactical wheel barrow for moving it.......jeesh!!!! [stoner]

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

(y)[winkthumb][chopper][rockon][shiz] [beer][FF]

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Another way to reduce recoil on an AR is to shoot a magnum cartridge a few times from a sporter weight rifle. After that the recoil from your 5.56/223 will feel significantly reduced...

4. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Tikka

A mechanical engineer here. I know very well they monentum equation. My comment is related not to the amount of recoil, but to the effect of that momentum transfer. I shoot a lot and I dont notice it.

5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

AD1 likes this.
  6. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Well I'm slight of build so any recoil is felt by me. It doesn't kick like my 308 though it is there. I will adapt and add all improvements I can to reduce recoil because at the end of the day you have two routes to go. You can suck it up and just accept the hurting shoulder as a "manly" thing or you can still be fully functional. I took several rifles out to the range and put many aches into my shoulder. I was sore and had limited motion for a couple days. If TSHTF then I would rather have no shoulder pain and be able to operate as opposed to being stove up. That's just me though. I appreciate all the advice. Will look into the parts to quiet down the recoil. Have my eyes set on a 338 Lapua next. :whistle:

7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@TailorMadeHell
    Another advantage of the intermediate rounds; is one can carry a lot more.

The .338 is a pricey round; about $2.48 to $2.60 a round. Great caliber if the terrain supports seeing as far as it can shoot.

Taku likes this.
  8. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

It would be interesting to get good with a 338. Have practiced short to mid range a lot. Haven't done the long range much. I know I'm not going to attempt the 1000 yards, though 600-800 would be good enough. Local range is only 300 so I need to find another to field it on.

9. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Trunk Monkey

buy a spikes t2 buffer and a surefire procomp or DPMS miculek brake. you will be thanking me later.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

And with that brake make sure your hearing protection is up to snuff...

Sgt Nambu and v0lcom13sn0w like this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Try 3 round burst there is a lot more recoil.

12. v0lcom13sn0w

believe it or not, if you are in-to putting made in china stuff on your gun (maybe a super budget build some day) the Amazon Brake by AR Pros actually works quite well. i put one of those on my 300blk while i wait for the suppressor. it works wonderful. especially for 17.99

13. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I have been eyeballing these cans and breaks.

Espically the new Compact Break. Read below the effect on recoil.

image.

When used alone, the new "CB" brake is approx 30-40% more effective at recoil reduction than the old 30BA brake. The new brake is proportioned correctly for .223 and .30 caliber rifles, but it provides a suppressor mounting surface just as solid as the old 30BA series.

The can is the 30cb9 which has been replaced by a new model.
    Thunder Beast Arms Corporation [TBAC] | Products | 30CB9

14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Truth is that all my AR pattern guns are defensive rifles before everything else. Muzzle breaks are great and fun when you have the time for hearing protection, but one shot fired without it as a test and I really thought I'd blown out my right ear. My fancy and very effective PWS SC556's came off the same day the replacement Smith Vortex flash hiders arrived. I just can't yell at the zombie motorcycle gang and tell them to wait up a bit while i dig out my cans...

Sgt Nambu and v0lcom13sn0w like this.
  15. v0lcom13sn0w

life or death i wont care how loud my gun is. :) believe me, muzzle brakes definately make these guns loud

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  16. Finster

Finster Simplify, I'd say more but this says it all.

Its probably not the recoil at all, not the overall weight of the gun nor the load. Technique!
    I shoot 308 all day from a bolt gun with little or no recoil pad. If I get sore its because I'm not drawing that puppy into my "shoulder pocket", If your letting the gun ride away, trying to manage recoil with your arms, especially during rapid fire of any kind (Auto, bump or fast trigger) and your trying to push the rifle away, your causing the problem. Pull that bitch into your shoulder just inboard of the armpit and below the collar bone, about 3-4 lbs of rearward pressure is all it takes and with practice even less.

The buffer springs and weights can be changed to tune performance for "off milspec" loadings. The AR of several varieties are supposed to throw brass to the side and just slightly FWD of 90degrees to the action. If your throwing brass way forward or far to the rear you can experiment with different springs of the same "length" or different buffer weights. DO NOT interchange Rifle length spring into a carbine or vise-versa, you can damage the rifle and create feed problems. A heavier buffer slows the recoil impulse but all the recoil is going to be felt eventually, and it will provide a bit more energy seating the next round. Conversely a light buffer will allow a slightly faster cycling of the bolt but may allow the bolt to bounce off the back of the tube fully compressing the spring, not a good situation either.

My advise; don't mess with the springs or buffer unless you have a performance/reliability issue. If you are hand-loading specialized ammo, get an adjustable gas block or tune your loads to throw just forward of the ejection port.

Sgt Nambu, AD1 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

For High Accuracy Custom Loadings, you should ALWAYS, Tune the Loading to the Barrel of the Weapon, and deal with anything else, by mechanical adjustments, of the action itself......

Finster likes this.
  18. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

The 50BMG upper you can put on AR lower does not recoil like you think.....plenty of Youtube videos of people shooting them and no Bones were broken....lol

1. stg58
  2. Dunerunner
  3. OldDude49
  4. HK_User
  5. Lancer
  6. Big Ron
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Lancer
  9. Lancer
  10. RouteClearance
  11. HK_User
  12. Motomom34