Aramaic Peshitta TaNaKh vs Hebrew Masoretic TaNaKh

Discussion in 'Faith and Religion' started by The Texas RAT, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

TTR
    You keep referring to a "valid argument ".
    If your intent on SM is to create an argument and fan the flames of such. Then I am warning you now I will show you the door if that is the case.

2. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out, if you can not change your mannerism.

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Dangerous ground, indeed. The danger is in offending good people. The happening of this thread proves my foreshadowing. Even if offending is not the intent, careful consideration must always be taken in conjunction with a topic as sensitive as this.

I stand by my original statement concerning translation; Aramaic to English is not always a straight line, and some meaning intended by the original author simply cannot be completely solidified in English due to the difference in interpretations. Added to this, the Greek vernacular is an underlying problem for previous translations and should be taken into consideration. As for modern Hebrew, it also differs from its native Aramaic origins --and the question of coding text still puzzles experts to this day. We should try to take into consideration the reality behind religious persecution of the time, as well as any attempts to translate ancient Greek, Aramaic and Hebrew to English. Again, it is my understanding and experience that some of the meaning solely rests upon the individual performing the translation. As Tulianr mentioned before, "Perhaps our internal divine spark is being overwhelmed by the glare of the supposed revealed truths of others." --And I believe there is wisdom to be found here.

4. The Texas RAT

The Texas RAT Monkey++

Sadly though I agree with you in what you say, What I hear is some one saying that they are just going to believe one text is correct and not even study to see if that texts was the better of texts to base a study from. And making excuses as to why they think it best they just stick to not studying text so that they fore what ever reasoning could care less to study. But BTPost if that is your prerogative to not study the information and then comment about it then why do you bother posting here on this thread? You could have saved yourself the time and this thread the space. Really all that just to try and what -talk yourself out of studying, seem as if you already had your mind made up. Perhaps you have already done the study but do not care to elaborate on it, find then please do not take up space here, as I did not start this thread to hear theological sermons from people as to why they prefer not to bother reading the stuff that I politely asked if one is not willing to discuss the stuff pertaining to the issue presented in the PDFs then do not bother with posting here. Grant it this is america and your are free to do mostly as you please but not at the expense of other. It is rude to clutter up a thread with off topic rantings.

But if you should change you mind feel free to join in the conversation pertaining to the topic. No offence meant, just saying no need to be saying off topic stuff. But I will give you this much, though you were off topic to this thread you did get right to the point you wanted to make, and I would like to encourage you next time either find a thread that has a topic in which you care to voice and opinion about or start one with the topic you care to discuss. That way there isn't a lot of time wasted for what? I mean realy did you ever plain to discuss textural issues?

5. The Texas RAT

The Texas RAT Monkey++

That door swings both ways. I did not go to you post and start belittling your topic as unworthy of discussing If one feels that way by all means let their actions speak louder than words!

By the way if you care to make you comments on topic you are welcome to join in, awmain.

6. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

TTR, I don't think you understand quite how our community works but it's pretty simple. someone posts a statement, topic, diatribe, postulate, or maybe joke, others read it and respond in whatever way they choose. Once the thread is started, the OP has no control of the path it will eventually take. when you chose to open a thread on any subject, but particularly one so fraught with hazards, you open the subject up to intense scrutiny and deeply held opinions. As long as combatants do not personally attack a poster, they are free to attack the idea or premise.

tulianr, BTPost, Brokor and 1 other person like this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Said another way, you won't be censored, nor will you censor any one else. Censure is NOT off the table.

8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

[pop] GK clone in Faith and Religion

9. The Texas RAT

The Texas RAT Monkey++

Owe what did I do? I posted a thread and asked if people would read the PDF I would converse with them. Then What happened? People came on and with no regard of the material I wished to converse over they one after another show up belittling what I was wanting to discuss. Quigley_Sharps if I invaded you post belittling you topic as unworthy and without warrant you would probably be a bit snippity too. All I cared to do was share some information and discuss the material like a civil human being. But instead of that happening I have as I said had one after another show up and accuse me of basically what they themselve are doing to me. No big deal put it in the past and lets move on like adults. No need to get all wound up and beside ourselves.

Personally if textural criticism is not one spot of tea I understand and bid them adieu as they leave this thread behind them and go about discussing topics they prefer too.

Hope to discuss on topic without the distractions Personally being this is my first posting I starting to think y'all are hazing me. Yeah very funny. Enough with the banter is never was becoming of any one.

On that note what part of the textual criticism stuff I presented would you care to discuss? I admit that PDFs #1 and #6 are a bit long and geared more for the want to study crowd, but the rest of them are short and packed full of info, surely if one is slightly interested they could check out PDF #2-5 and #7.

10. The Texas RAT

The Texas RAT Monkey++

OK then why is everyone jumping my bones for standing again their idea? Anyway it may be permissible but it is impolite to try and ruin a thread by causing strife and then blame it on the other fellow.

11. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

If you prefer that only those who read the pdf's you linked discuss your topic, it would probably be better to start a "conversation" and have it open to anyone who cares to join in. Those not caring to discuss you link simply don't join. You might make a comment that you have an open conversation in progress - come if you have read the pdf's

12. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

It's just like being an actor, it's all dependent on presentation
    The monkeys here are very intelligent and can make their own decisions.

Provide the information you feel necessary i.e. the pdfs. and leave it at that.
    Each will foment their own opinion and they may or may not discuss further.
    Any proselytizing will probably be met by resistance.

That's why there may be a bunch of Witnesses with bruises on their foreheads.
    "Get Off My Eff'ing Porch!"

Just sayin, it may be a great message, but without an excellent delivery, it's going to wind up on the discount shelf sooner rather than later.

13. The Texas RAT

The Texas RAT Monkey++

OK no censorship as long as we be civil, but would any body care not to be kind and stay on topic? OWE VEY!!!

14. The Texas RAT

The Texas RAT Monkey++

RightHand, by chance did you read the opening post? Perhaps my hillbilly lingo is beneath the mentality around her but I would have sworn that opening a post and politely asking people to PLEASE do not reply unless you have viewed PDFs attached would have conveyed you sentiments(?).

But yea, what you said, it you care to discuss textural criticism of the Old Testament that's what I had in mind and would rather enjoy such as opposed to being opposed for the sake of opposings sake, if ya naw whatta I mean?

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

OK, nuffa dis. I'll open a convo with me, minuteman, and TTR in it. Anyone that wants to join in, let me or TTR know and we'll add you to the conversation. This thread is now closed.

16. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

word censor fixed.

Brokor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7