Are All Telephone Calls Recorded?

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by Silversnake, May 5, 2013.

1. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

What I will say to you in person and what I will say to you via telephone or internet just may be different, MG. No different than if we were standing in a crowd of people or if we were in a small group. Each conversation has its own time and place.

I surrender to no one. Consider my ground stood and freely spoken. [bateye]

Yard Dart, tulianr, VisuTrac and 2 others like this.
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[bestpost]

3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Anyone think that the telcos actually have storage for all their digital data that occurs 24/7/365? they just want to know point a, point b, time start, time end so they can bill ya.

Just to let you know, not all telcos are the big players. Backwood Billybob Party lines still exist. You think they can afford to record their traffic? And there are telcos for telcos and they don't record their subcontracts traffic per contractual agreement. Lots of holes, everywhere. Drop an anonomizing vpn with scrambled IPTelephony and what a fine kettle of fish we have now.

tulianr likes this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Some folks just have no idea about the technology that is our modern telco industry... ..... All most folks know is that when they dial a number the thingy ON the other end RINGS....

VisuTrac, Tracy, Silversnake and 2 others like this.
  5. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

I'll agree that there are still some "loopholes"....but i can say with total confidence that the big cable and telcos have more than enough bandwidth and storage capacity to record your calls AND your internet traffic. Hell... we're looking for ways to charge police for every real-time intercept request. Privacy? um no...Profit. I also realize some of you oldti
    mers or milspec guys have good knowledge aboot a ton of stuff...but here... youre out of date.
    Sent from my iphone on my way to my isp/telcom job.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  6. Mindgrinder

Yard Dart and VisuTrac like this.
  7. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

MG, I was wondering when you were going to say that. I still say, they aren't getting all of it.

Mindgrinder likes this.
  8. Mindgrinder

My shrink would call this "Normalcy Bias".
    Or possibly "Suspended Disbelief".
    It's prolly called something else milspec when the aggressor plays "WE COME IN PEACE" over the loud speaker while shooting everyone in sight...

G

9. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Nostradamus I am not. Prescient? Maybe. But I have been paying attention... :D

Byte

kellory likes this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Byte and tulianr like this.
  11. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

NSA Overwhelmed by Cell Phone Use
    February 7, 2014 11:19 AM
    Despite a reputation for omnipotence and omniscience, the NSA is collecting less than 30 percent of all U.S. call records thanks to the surge in cell phone usage. According to officials, back in 2006, the agency was able to collect nearly all records about Americans' phone calls under a classified program. Now, as more and more people migrate away from landlines, the NSA finds itself faced with challenges in not only acquiring the data from wireless companies, but also having databases capable of handling the large amounts of records. While some would argue the less-than-30-percent number would signify a lack of value to the data collection, NSA Deputy Director Rick Ledgett defended the agency, arguing, "It's better than zero."
    NSA Overwhelmed by Cell Phone Use - The Daily Beast

12. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I prefer to play it safe and presume anything I send over the phone or put online is under surveillance. So anything private I want to say, I do it in person.

oldawg and Sapper John like this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Seems to "Me" we have had this "Bandwidth" discussion, before...... Hmmmmm.....

tulianr, Yard Dart and Silversnake like this.
  14. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

Just thought it was interesting to hear NSA directly answer the question in the original post.

15. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I think they are just trying to make folks feel better..... I don't believe the stuff they are selling...IMO

Mindgrinder, JABECmfg and tulianr like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7