Are combat sidearms worth it?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by AxesAreBetter, May 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have seen a super light AR of right around 5 pounds, but I don't think it would be a very reliable unit due to the drastic cutting and machining of lightning holes all over it, but I can see it being possible, but how short can you get it????? I would think an alloy version of the HK 31/53 with SBR length pencil barrel would be the shiznit for what your talkin bout!
    [​IMG]

2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Yes

sec_monkey and VisuTrac like this.
  3. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Combat sidearm worth it? YES. Any sidearm can be used for combat, foraging, or plinking. It just has to be WITH you. Why a 1911A1 is WITH me always. If "combat" shows up I would rather have a Ma Deuce but a sidearm is better than a ball point pen. And mine is WITH me. I'm just weird that way.

Legion489, sec_monkey, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  4. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

This is kind of a tired topic, but I'll offer a different take...

If you believe that a sidearm is "not worth it," then you are admitting that your long gun, or ball point pen, whatever you are carrying, is suitable at all times and for all situations. This "perfect weapon" has no peers and no drawbacks and can complete all tasks better than anything else out there.

Furthermore, not carrying a sidearm to save weight/space only works if you do not replace the sidearm with something else. Otherwise, you are simply trading out one item for another but still bearing the same weight and taking up the same space. That's not saving, that's compromising. You are also admitting that the "something else" is more important than the sidearm, and by default, everything else you are carrying is more important than the sidearm.

The question is not whether or not a sidearm is worth it. The question is whether or not all the other junk you carry is worth it.

Tully Mars, Legion489, oldawg and 5 others like this.
  5. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I like .45 and 10 mm.

Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

^^^Sweet

This is also pretty intriguing and retails at $450:
    upload_2017-5-28_11-31-4.

Mag and cartridge compatible but only a few parts from the lower could be cannibalized to keep your main AR running
    EXTAR EXP-556 Lightweight Pistol-The Lightest 5.56 pistol in the world

And then there is this very compact AR pistol, that also provides spares as well as you could put the pistol upper on the rifle lower (WROL situation):
    upload_2017-5-28_11-34-44.
    Haven't been able to find out details yet, but the image comes from jcweaponry.com which is located near my AO.

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Once you have pulled the Bolt and ditched the primary rifle, your secondary sidearm gives you the ability to engage or repel hostiles at greater distance than a blade. I believe that I recall footage of just such an event on one of the History Channels "Sniper Documentaries", but with the G-Kids here I won't have time to research for you. I'll add the dimension of subsonic suppressed sidearm operation to your toolbox.

Tully Mars, Ura-Ki and AxesAreBetter like this.
  8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I fiddled around in gunstruction to create this:
    upload_2017-5-28_15-3-51.

Halfway between a rifle and a pistol, 6 lbs 3 oz loaded. 10 round initial mag, folding sights, and AFG to keep it streamlined for the backpack or crawling around. Lots of parts compatibility with you main AR if you need to canibalize. Same mags, same ammo. Drawbacks compared to a standard pistol are it's more cumbersome, weighs more, and no holster option.

sec_monkey, Ura-Ki and AxesAreBetter like this.
  9. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

IF I decided to use a shotgun for my main gun, does that change the equation any? Turn that pistol into 50 rounds of slug for instance. Gotta look at all the angles.
    Or, as being alluded to, would adding a pistol caliber carbine or a sbr type thing be a viable option?

Ura-Ki likes this.
  10. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

That AR monster pistol looks cool.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

How on earth can you even think that? There is simply NO WAY a long arm can substitute for a pistol, nor can an SBR.

Tully Mars, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

?

13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

RANGE!!!!! A Shotgun with good quality slugs is only good to about 100 or so yards, where as even a properly built SBR can reach 400 or more yards with out much trouble! Pistols can reach out past 100 yards if needed and the shooter practices so he/she knows what it takes. In my opinion, A shot gun is a poor choice for most SHTF situations! Unless you are operating in a tight urban inviro, I would still take an SBR AND pistols over a shotgun and any amount of ammo! 50 rounds of mixed shotgun ammo is the same aprox weight of 6 30 round AR mags or three 20 round .308 mags! Slugs are nortorously bad for bad breath distances, so you would want bird shot and Buck in the ammo mix, but then you get stuck carrying empty chamber in order to select the proper ammo for the situation, NEVER a good spot to be is, having a firearm that isn't ready to go RIGHT NOW!!!!
    Nothing wrong with a Shotgun as a defensive weapon, but that's really all it is, very tricky to be able to use it offensively and for any distances, forget it! Just my opinion.

Tully Mars, ghrit and Yard Dart like this.
  14. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Nah, you don't need sidearms, send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you.

15. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

NO!

send them to ME..... hehehehehehe.....

16. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

ONLY if you promise to take them WAY offshore and dump them over the side as any good lib would do. Promise?

Ura-Ki, Tully Mars and ghrit like this.
  17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The reason I chose the 17 HMR is ,
    1. 2550 FPS in my Marlin. With special rounds in a Savage semiauto- 2650 FPS . At these velocities things explode on impact.
    2. greatest threat is human,
    In time, few large game will be left to hunt if any.
    Any injury from a fragmenting 17 caliber is going to need medical attention . Post SHTF most are not prepared for this kind of medical attention, their injury will escalate and they will die.
    3. By volume the .17 HMR is 1/5th the volume of a .223 .
    We are talking what a person can carry. volume matters, if there is no resupply .
    Though .22 is even a greater volume difference,, .22 pales in comparison to .17 in velocity and accuracy @ serious distances .
    I postulate that most game left will be especially weary and very long shots are the only method of getting them ,,if your using a .308 to shoot a squirrel @ 200 yards , there won't be much left to be worth the spent round.
    On the other hand If I need to spend 3-4 rounds on a deer,(if there were any left) it's ammo worth the investment.
    I didn't do a volume comparison to the 12 ga shot gun shell and .17 HMR, but I'm sure its significant . Probably close to 10X
    Some guys speculate on carrying reloading gear and supplies , and a "lee loader" for pistol rounds that might be fine seeing that retrieved ammo from dead opposition, that doesn't match one's own, could be re purposed to work in their own gun .
    Melt and remold the lead, salvage the primers and powder, the brass you have no use for, use for barter.
    Larger calibers by comparison the size of the .17 ,, reloading gear and supplies take up more room than the ammo does,

The door swings both ways.
    If I am conscripted to serve with another group, it is unlikely I will be required to share ammo . And likely they would have no ammo to resupply me as well. I have more liberty to choose my battles .

3M-TA3 likes this.
  18. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I live in pretty good country for buckshot. The native terrain is 80ft trees or waist deep water covered by trees unless it's been cleared for farming. The slugs would be the backup ammo, not the buck. And forget an empty camber, I know ho to switch out loads.
    I bring the shotgun up because it is a "better pistol" in this argument, i.e. close range and getting fast effective hits on target.

I mean, 50 rounds of buckshot (450 rounds, technically, going toward the target) vs 60 rounds of my favorite runner up choice? Not winning out on round count on that argument.

@ghrit - why can a longgun not substitute for a pistol? What is wrong with carrying a backup rifle? Your reaction interests me.

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

For one thing, a pistol is far more maneuverable in close quarters, especially where there is insufficient space to swing a barrel longer than your arm. (See also posts #2, 6, 7 and 8 where the pistol is the backup, not vice versa. Quite frankly, in my mind, a long gun of any flavor as a backup to a pistol verges on the absurd.)

If you can keep space between you and OPFOR then a long gun is the tool. For your purposes and AO, a shottie MAY be useful vs. a rifle, but I would think no more so than a rifle of any particular flavor and NOT as a substitute for a pistol. NB: I do NOT advocate a pistol instead of a long gun, to my mind both are needed. To my mind, it makes no difference if you are at war or foraging for the freezer, both should be carried.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  20. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I meant to say "carry shotgun and sbr" instead of a pistol, not "back up my pistol with a rifle" HAHAHAHA. I can see the problem.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  1. M118LR
  2. M118LR
  3. ghrit
  4. melbo
  5. melbo
  6. melbo
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7