Are combat sidearms worth it?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by AxesAreBetter, May 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

Hmmm, ....... apparently I hit a nerve! Thanks for clarifying, though! As far as I'm concerned, 'controlled fire' is easy; neither is it what I've been talking about here. It's also been my experience that a shooter who does well on stationary targets will also do well (or, at least, better) on moving targets, too.

As for the 'general membership' of the two IDPA clubs I used to regularly shoot at? The match leader was employed as CZ, USA's factory shooter; and several of the other guys were top IDPA Master Class shooters. (Not exactly the kind of pistoleros any intelligent person would describe as 'sucking' at what they do.) :)

These things being understood, I'm glad you excel at whatever it is that you're able to do with a pistol in your hands; I'm just curious to know how many other gunmen might agree with you? (Because THAT is the real 'acid test ', now, isn't it!)

2. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

What you can do, what you have done, and what you shall need to be able to do next are all different. As to the real acid test, well it's constantly changing but it always remains the same. There can be only one Winner. Either come "Home" Victorious, or have others carry you "HOME" on your shield.

Tully Mars and Brokor like this.
  3. Unique

Unique Monkey

No. the real acid test is how you perform under fire. If you've never been there you wouldn't know.

Yard Dart, Tully Mars and Brokor like this.
  4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Not at all. You're quite welcome. I don't mind being challenged to clarify as long as the discussion is civil, all is well.
    I have found combat to be the best test, personally. I think you were only saying this tongue in cheek, though. :)

On the subject of combat sidearms, I have fancied the .45 the most, but found I actually fair better with the venerable 9mm. Everybody will have their own preferences and habits, but I factored in a single, accurate round from the .45 is about equal to 3 from the 9mm if we're looking at stopping power and not focusing on critical hits alone. I can be a little more accurate on the first shot with the 9mm since I did go all out and do the trigger job; this allows me to rapid fire due to quicker reacquisition. The .45 is fantastic, the feel and power are exceptional, and I can appreciate the trade-off either way. I would have to change my firing habit from a 3 to 5 round rapid fire from the 9mm (I equate 'rapid' with 'panic') to a double tap with the .45 --hence the reason for the controlled fire.

5. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

For the sake of comparison only, I have been known to drop 6 ea 6" falling plates in 3 seconds (approx) at 50 feet (exact) starting from low ready with a 1911 and hardball. I am not so sure I could do it again, but it's my standard practice goal for aimed shots.

M118LR, Brokor and AxesAreBetter like this.
  6. M118LR

I was just wondering which pistol/firearm, steel or falling plates happened to be armed with???
    Being "OLD" these things just happen to slip my mind.

7. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

:lol: I wasn't feeling too threatened --- But once one was down shifting aim to the next is part of the equation.

M118LR likes this.
  8. M118LR

Oh those 6 inch plates. A measure of pistol Marksmanship. On the two way field of fire they are a measure of 600 yard Marksmanship. But if all you are contending with are unarmed targets, then all you are contending with is yourself.

So for the sake of comparison, How many of the ten 25 Meter Chickens do you drop at a slow fire controlled rate? On your way to posting a perfect round on "The Hunters Pistol Course of Fire? For Marksmanship has many different concepts with many different firearms, and on the 2 way Range there aren't any stipulations as to which firearm you are sporting. So Y'all might be Bracing an Aggressor Armed with a longer range weapon. Just food for thought.

9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

That's a problem ,
    One never knows the situation they will be force to act in .
    More the problem for most is, "the will to act." Warrior mentality .

M118LR likes this.
  10. M118LR

If I could interject?
    It is almost instinctual for the aggressive to act after being fired upon. Defending ones self after the adrenaline dump of being fired upon is highly motivational, and usually precipitates "the will to act.". It takes an entirely different mindset to precipitate unforced aggression. (ie Warrior Mentality) JMO.

Tully Mars and Dunerunner like this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

There was a video recently done by the sheriffs office I think teaching the warrior mentality .
    the video had shown a officer at a stop and the perp got out of his car and stepped out then turned around and took the gun from under his seat and drew it out and the officer did not shoot till the perp did . then cop shot in panic and lost .

Not every one possess the will to act ,even in mild situations of smoke .
    If some one looks suspicious walking into a room, I watch them, and if the seem uncomfortable, I watch them all the more.
    I was a security guard for a while at a bar, and we never had any trouble long as I was there not even a scuffle.
    I made my self seen and made eye contact with every one ,especially potential troublemakers.
    About the only excitement I ever saw was 5150 attempting to commit suicide having jumped in the lake . I called for back up and we pulled her out at the dock.

If your afraid to act on a situation due to any number of excuses, response time for any thing can be hindered .
    The more one delays action naturally the instant response one might hope for has nothing prepared .

A fire has erupted behind your desk.
    do you first run away ?
    or do your get the fire extinguisher and put out the fire?
    Do you train your self to panic, or be a first responder ?

Yard Dart and M118LR like this.
  12. M118LR

Oh, this is going to be a surprise! I'm going to run along the borderlines. Perhaps you could reference the PRIMARY WEAPON as issued by the "Sheriffs Office". I'm not going to ask how this relates to a "COMBAT SIDEARM" Come on, POLICING ACTIONS ain't Honest Combat. JMHO.

13. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

So what does one call the "police action" in Korea, if not combat? (Yes, I know what you mean, I just have to snicker when you open yourself up. I do it all the time, sometimes even for fun.)

Yard Dart likes this.
  14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yup, Policing is NOT Combat... Never was and Totally different ROEs.....Unfortunately most of the Vets, returning since Vietnam, and going into Law Enforcement, had a LOT of Bad Habits that needed to be reTained out of them.... Most of the Good Ones, eventually got the Message... However many of them, never did, and still carry the "Us vs Them" mentality... We have a few Chief Deputies, around here on the Monkey, and they ALL say pretty much the same thing.... Cowboys come in all sizes, and shapes, and it is the attitude that makes for a GOOD Law Enforcement] Officer... One of the very First things a Knowledgable LEO should do, when confronted with a disembarked Driver, at a Traffic Stop, is ALWAYS Stay behind his Car Door.... Until he sees what is going on, and can size up the situation, seeing BOTH Hands, clean and open, and if nothing else, the Vehicle Door closed, so that the Driver can NOT reach for anything inside the vehicle... Cardinal Rule No 1.... and this BullShit, about, If I am uncomfortable, as a LEO with a situation, I can just KILL you, and talk my way out of a suspension, is just that BS... and the ROEs of that Department needs to be FIXED...

TEST edit.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2017
    Yard Dart and Tully Mars like this.
  15. M118LR

So just to clear the air.
    It's better to be under the auspicious of a jury of twelve, than to be carried by a verdict of six of the unwilling that wanted to pay you homage.......

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  16. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Only if a staffie jumps me for some obscure reason. Certainly not to you in spite of your infamous arrogance.. Now, a staffie might jump both of us for violations of the CoC item 1, but they in general seem to be willing to let the slings and arrows fly since it's a judgement call.

17. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Well, to get back on the rails...I have to say that a sidearm, combat or otherwise is a valuable asset. Weapons do fail - even the best, most diligently maintained, and a sidearm may make the difference between a safe return home or a knock on your spouse's door...but that's just my take on it.

18. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Considering one of those tac14's from reminggton as a new carry piece...HAHA.

19. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Provoking sir.... let's not go down this road again... aye. ;)

20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

One last thing I'd like to add.
    If having the side arm gives me a .001% chance over an enemy ,it's worth the investment.

Tully Mars, techsar, M118LR and 2 others like this.
  1. M118LR
  2. M118LR
  3. ghrit
  4. melbo
  5. melbo
  6. melbo
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7