Are pigeons edible?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Onebereal, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Onebereal

Onebereal Monkey+

They cost 20 dinars a trap (algerian money) the equivalence of 20 cents, they are super cheap and super effective, I bought 5 of them for a dollar. You just need to find the right spots to set them, I go out in fields and remove some grass so only dirt is visible and set it down. But if you aren't careful and it snaps your finger it hurts super bad. It wont break your finger, but still painful.

2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Have you ever thought

Have you ever thought of becoming a pigeon trap exporter....let globalisation and ebay work for you...I'm sure that humdinger trap would sell well to preppers in the USA.

3. Dogfood

Dogfood Monkey+++

Yes selling something like that of ebay could make you some extra cash. They could sell for many times what they cost you in the U.S.

4. strunk

strunk Monkey+

It's a little bit of work. Clean it out well, let it soak in brine overnight. I like to cook 'em up over hot coals, basted with a Dr. Pepper reduction.

5. Onebereal

Onebereal Monkey+

Yeah, that's a great idea. But sadly Algeria is a 3rd world country and it's kind of difficult (you can say impossible) to work with ebay.

6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Are the traps local manufacture? Where you purchase them is there any Manufacture info on the bulk packaging? As survivalists and preppers, you have ignited an idea and an urge to obtain some of these traps. I would prefer to work a deal thru a fellow Monkey, but if that is not possible, then in some other way. Can you help?

Dogfood and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Hang On...Seem's you may have something there with the trap...
    I'm going to say that these are made local.?
    We may do a bit of a group buy here..or not...
    Depend's on who has the time to oversee this...
    I personally would like 10 to have for hard time's...
    Now ..Onebereal....Let's say you get a quote from the suppler for 100 trap's
    Mark them up 50/100%...Get an estimate on shipping to the U.S.
    Include that charge in this...and give the Overseer a quote...
    and we can take it from there...Anyone with a better idea...Please Post...

Dogfood and tacmotusn like this.
  8. Onebereal

Onebereal Monkey+

These bird traps are made near my village, their are hundreds of them. I can get 100 of them for like $20. The problem is I don't know how much it costs to send items overseas. I'd have to go down to the city just to ask.

There is no information when you buy them, they are hand made. I'm not sure who makes them, I just go to the store (it's like a large tool store) and ask for 20 birdtraps, give him the 4 dollars and he just gives them to me in bag.
    Then I go out to this tiny place near my house, it's like a very small wood. Trees, grass, and a tiny lake runs down there. I set them all up with some bread, and check the traps every 6 hours or so. Today I caught this tiny bird, with orange all over his neck. I threw him away.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Looks like you are about to be exposed to the wonders of shipping and customs. Might be worth the trip to the city for some research if you can't find the info you need on the web.

Can you post a few pix so we can get a sense of size and weight? A vid would be great.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Onebereal

Onebereal Monkey+

I know you guys really want some of these bird traps, but I have no experience with shipping items. It'd probably cost more then I would make.
    I found a guide that teaches you guys how to make them, but they aren't as good as the real ones here.
    - Terrierman's Daily Dose -

I normally catch these little birds, but I've been experimenting changing the traps location, and I think I've discovered a new spot with a different specie.
    ATSPnewlyBanded.

11. Dogfood

Dogfood Monkey+++

I would be interested in some as well. They can be sent marked as a gift to keep from having any import taxes. If we can get this going the point man should start a thread so everyone can get in if they would like.

12. Onebereal

Onebereal Monkey+

You guys don't have any bird traps in the USA?

13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Time Out...We don't need these today,or rather i don't...
    When you go to town.? Ask around for an honest shipper...
    Bring a few trap's so that the shipper can get a weight...Give a location..Say Houston Texas perhap's...
    Now you stated that the trap's cost about 20 cent's each ?
    Your time is worth something..Your mark-up is 20 cent's...
    and say the shipping is another 10 cent's per trap...
    We are now at 50 cent's per trap...Is this worth your time..?
    No need to rush yourself to town..But ask around and talk to someone that has done a bit of shipping..
    Beside's...You may have other neat thing's to show us...and this is a chance for a young person to make a bit of money...Educate yourself on the shipping procedure's...
    You may have a good shot at starting a small business...

14. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Looking hard trying to find a source for these traps worldwide. It would appear these traps due to being indisciminate about what they kill are illegal to use in most developed nations. I still would like to have a stock of them on hand. I will continue the search.
    Nets, traps and snares | Komitee gegen den Vogelmord e. V.
    Common name is "snap traps".

15. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Due to the fact that these traps would be commonly illegal to use here in the USA, they are not available. But after a total economic collapse all bets are off when it comes to providing food for the family.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Onebereal

Onebereal Monkey+

You found it, there's a picture of one on that page, with the olives.
    trappola.

And gator, I will ask when I can and one day if I do I will send you a message. I'm going to go check up on the traps to see if I caught any tasty birds.

17. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Please post answer here as well. Although I have found pictures and descriptions on how to make, alas, I am all thumbs at some things. I would prefer to buy these if possible. Thanks. Hope you have some tasty birds.

18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

[
    Cool...and good luck !!!

QUOTE=Onebereal;195351]You found it, there's a picture of one on that page, with the olives.
    trappola.

And gator, I will ask when I can and one day if I do I will send you a message. I'm going to go check up on the traps to see if I caught any tasty birds.[/QUOTE]

19. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

20. Dogfood

Dogfood Monkey+++

tacmotusn you can buy that trap on ebay look up bird trap live.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7