Are preppers responsible for the unprepared?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CATO, Dec 9, 2012.

Tags:
?
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    95.5%
  1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Did you know that to the govt. way of thinking, you are being selfish to prepare for uncertainty in the future (despite the CDC urging people to do so)? The way of thinking that now occupies this White House is a threat to your life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. Be vigilent........

Are Preppers responsible for the unprepared?

In addition to this, in the book 299 Days, a FEMA-type person states preppers must "share" their preps with the unprepared "for the good of the community" and that it's OK for government to seize private preps. **^** I highly recommend this series. The author predicted the "F-Corps" two years before their creation by FEMA.

** Clarification for the poll: we're not talking about your unprepared family/friends. We're talking about complete strangers--from Hollywood execs to ghetto queens.

2. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I'll be more than happy to share...at a distance, at 3270 fps, one round at a time until I have no more to share (not until its all gone mind you). At which point my family and friends who I HAVE prepared for should be tucked away all safe and snug and I will disappear and go join them.

STANGF150 and robin48 like this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I was raised you take care of your own first, then friends. If a stranger wants something from me, he better be willing to work for it. I will defend what's mine.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  4. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I think the government should be happy to have prepared individuals/groups. In times of disaster, they will NOT be coming to them for assistance, further burdening their completely inadequate post disaster planned relief centers.

Preppers won't be demanding:
    TV
    Internet
    Cell Communications
    Food
    Water
    Shelter
    Medical Treatment
    etc.

Preppers will not be crowding the stadiums and freeways; rather they will be at home or retreat visiting with friends.
    Preppers will not be rioting in the streets; rather they will be minding their streets.
    Preppers will not be fighting at the gas stations for a few gallons of gas; rather they will be conserving their fuel.
    Preppers will not be looting stores for big screen televisions, game consoles, and designer jeans; rather they will be eating a home cooked meal of the food stuffs they'd canned, preserved, or stored earlier.

So in essence, the government should thank the prepper community for NOT being part of their problem.

But of course, if the government thinks that those in the prepper community are just another source of resources to be used for the masses, then They, The government WILL have an additional problem. It's not like we won't share if INDIVIDUALS are willing to trade labor for it, but to just take it? That is stealing and well, there are some serious consequences that come along with that. Because stealing someones food could be a death sentence for either party, one due to starvation, the other acute lead poisoning.

My advice, if the government wants to take care of those that prepared even less than they did, so be it. But using the prepper community as a food/supply pantry, I'd advise bringing body bags for every team member on the raiding party and a quantity for those they believe to be raiding. Because the preppers aren't going to be burying the raiding party on site. They'll probably be lined up neatly on the side of the road just before the check point. But if the bags are really useful, they might keep the bags and just load them back into their raiding vehicles, take 'em down the road a way, douse with a few gallons of gas/diesel and toss in a road flare. Your boys are missing? Look for the funeral pyre.

And stay in the city.

5. scrapman21009

scrapman21009 Chupacabra Hunter

total strangers, no way in hell. But I will even go as far as to include family and friends

I do hate to say it, but I have been warning family and friends for a while now, if they choose to ignore my advice, that's their prob. I do love all of my family, but I refuse to let my children and wife starve because other family members choose to be grasshoppers, it may be cold, but life's not a party. If I have extra, or I can help you by my own free will, then I will do so

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

7. kellory

"You might wonder,” wrote Ms. Lucus-McEwen, “why someone like me, who has been in the business of encouraging disaster preparedness for a very long time, is so critical of people who are doing just that. It’s because they are being socially selfish – preparing themselves and the hell with everyone else"

I don't recall any Government assistance with stockpiling any supplies. Discounts for Government sponsored stockpilers? Free storage facilities? Preserving agents? Dedicated power feeds for disaster relief? Secondary power installations? (solar/wind/hydro/generator) I don't even know where to get government sandbags and sand kits (some assembly required) sump pumps? Security gates? Or even ammo to defend it.[gun2]

jollyrodger13 likes this.
  8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I should have also mentioned, everyone of us has already helped those in need more than our fair share. One word, Taxes.

But basically, it's like everything the government gets involved in. Misallocated, misused or just plain missing.

I guess if they want to tax preppers more than the rest of society, @DarkLight seems to have a well reasoned distribution plan.

jollyrodger13 likes this.
  9. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

By being prepped we are lessening their ability to control.That is unacceptable to them.Would they come strip you of your supplies?You bet your bippy. Would they redistribute those supplies among the hordes? Not likely and most certainly not any arms or ammo someone might have.I'll take care of mine and help those around me who have tried to help themselves. The rest best stay out of range.

10. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

My wife once told someone that I am a "Rescuer" and I guess there is a grain of truth to that. If I see someone needing help, it is my nature to help them as best I can. I stop and help change tires,I use force and guile to defend those being attacked, I save crew from distressed ships, I go work in places after hurricanes, sunami, or earthquakes...I expect no rewards, it is just what I do. Some of us are sheep and some of us are sheep dogs, we tend the flock. Some of us are predators, these too are a part of the scheme. God gave me the strength to gather what I have and I use it with as much intelligence as I can to help those around me. This doesn't mean that I will take my shirt off and give it to someone, not if I need the shirt...but it does mean that I will help them build a fire and get warm, it means I will help them find something to cover themselves with to offer the protection from elements, ...my preps aren't about me, I have out-lived my reproductive days and remain only as a consumer if I don't share the wisdom and abilities that I have learned...so I choose not to vote in your poll, it isn't broad enough to cover my answer.

KAS, Cruisin Sloth, tulianr and 2 others like this.
  11. kellory

I can respect that Seacowboys, but you are comparing apples to oranges. You speak of service and compassion. Both commendable. But the basic questioned asked was should preppers be expected to be Shepherds, and "share" their preps with the unprepared". To fulfill the role of quartermaster, and hand out what you have gathered to all who ask/demand it.
    If I ask for help from a better prepared prepper (which in this case means nearly anyone on here) I expect to work for it, value for value. The expression: "there is no such thing as a free lunch" stems from the fact that you had to listen to a sermon to receive the meal. Even the church requires some quid-pro-quo.

Dawg23 and tulianr like this.
  12. jollyrodger13

jollyrodger13 ready for action

:mad:
    I agree with VisuTrac, one hundred percent!!! We have'nt worked hard ALL OUR LIVES (wife & I), just to give it to people who think WORK is a dirty 4 letter word!! Who think it is some kind of right, that they are ENTITLED to stuff!!! That the government is their personal bullyboy. Nobody helped us, we had to scratch & save for everything we got, we both worked 2 jobs/long hours to buy our land, supplies, & equipment that we have now, not so the govt. can come and say we need to share!! Do you think the govt. boys are going to share their stuff?? I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!! just sayin:mad: :( [cow]

oldawg likes this.
  13. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

I've gotten the "We're coming to your place!" comments a couple times when trying to educate folks about prepping.

That's when I let them know everybody here is armed and they are not, they are not welcome here in an emergency and they need to go to the nearest shelter. That's also when I remind them the jet ski they bought last year could have beeen a wood stove or a generator.

14. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

We live in a "BOL;" the access road is dirt and challenging; the long distance views are beautiful. Luckily the terrain is quite challenging (minimum slope is 59 degrees according to the surveyor) so we doubt many will trek in or at least we hope not.

tacmotusn and jollyrodger13 like this.
  15. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Im pretty open minded and a helpful kind of guy so if your female, blonde 5' 2" to 5' 7" .....

16. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

My prep's are for family and freinds under the "umbrella" as Melbo said. If someone is pulled into the fold, they will pull their weight and earn the right. I will not be handing over my prep's to the local government when they look to "re-distribute the wealth". [sawgunner]

17. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Having read her blog articles...I do have to wonder about the value of anything she has to say....The bottom line is that she is expressing the kind of uninformed and prejudicial opinions that would make Archie Bunker look like a paragon of unbiased intellectual brilliance.

Ms Lucus McEwan has an impressive alphabet of letters after her name, but judging from her analysis of preppers, and her semi backflip gymnastics, I have to wonder if she has any actual real life experience in the subject matter that she teaches and blogs about.

It really does not matter whether or not the "doomsday" prepper will share their resources with the indolently unprepared in a post apocalyptic world...the fact is that by being self reliant and self sufficient, they are less likely to be a drain on the rest of the community by not adding to the demand on the community's resources. Furthermore they are assuming the socially responsibility of caring for their own families and kinsfolk. Self sufficient and self reliant preppers are also in a better position to support the recovery efforts of their community by exercising the self determination of deciding to what assistance they may be in the best position to offer.

Assuming a family of 5 adults has rations for one year (i.e. a total of 1,830 day's rations for 1 person)....shared among a community of 5,000 people that resource would last for .36 of a day's ration each for one day only and the population of starving would increase to 5,005 .

As a prudent householder, I insure my home against fire, storm and tempest by paying a premium to my insurance company. If I chose not to insure my house against loss, and it burned down...None of my neighbours are likely to put their hands in their pockets to help me with the costs of reconstruction....and a government directive that the insurance companies that insure my neighbours houses against loss be compelled to pay the cost of rebuilding my uninsured house would be laughed out of court. Yet for some reason the Government seems confident and comfortable about bullying the prepared to compulsorily help the unprepared.

I take a civil libertarian line on the issue of private property. I am a person of modest means, yet I am prepared to plan towards an uncertain future and make provision for a broad range of contingencies...I will look after my own, and if I feel that I am able to help others...I will decide who I will help, and how that help I may be prepared to offer will be given. For those who have decided that their priorities in life are self indulgent consumerism, travel and electronic gewgaws....they can eat their Winnebagos, their frquent flyer points and their plasma TVs when the supermarket shelves dry up. If they are lucky, they may get a packet of mixed vegetable seeds and a couple of fertile chicken eggs from me.

18. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

When substituting the words "rich and wealthy" in place of "prepper," the governmental urge to tax, or "redistribute," in how it intends to treat those who have had modest success in life through years of disregarding shallow material consumption while building a small business with modest property accumulation, and reasonable life planning is not lost. If they could, the blue-helmeted thugs would confiscate everything and redistribute what they saw fit all in the name of a new "food fairness tax".

19. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

I feel the time that we will need our "preps" is very near. With that being said I dont mention "prepping" to anyone who is not prepping anymore. Where I live one would think everyone would be a prepper, but just the oppsite is true, no one is.
    I feel if no one knows whats going on at my place no one will come knocking.

I have already done what I could in the past by trying to get people on board for the upcoming change in lifestyle, they didnt want my help then so the door is now closed.

Dawg23 likes this.
  20. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

In the last decade I've shut up about it.OPSEC now rules.

1. CATO
  2. Beano
  3. CATO
  4. CATO
  5. CATO
  6. CATO
  7. Quigley_Sharps
  8. Seacowboys
  9. melbo
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7