Are preppers responsible for the unprepared?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CATO, Dec 9, 2012.

Tags:
?
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    95.5%
  1. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Speaking of gravity, we lost some trees to an ice storm. Pines and not for the wood stove. I did roll some 12 to 18" diameter and 3 to 6' long logs out of the yard and down the slope. I can testify that old fashioned does work until the trees stop them. It was neat to watch. LOL

I'd still rather have an 81 or a 4.2. :D

I've read some folks online who seem to be of the belief they can handle disciplined infantry. All I can say is too much TV. Our plans depend on the type of animals we would most likely meet. Past that, we aren't a military objective. ;)

Its not the math, I enjoy dreaming as well as anyone, but that one is a lot of work. It would be easier, less expensive and a whole bunch less dangerous to build a cistern up here by the house and use the run off from the roof. As the head would be whatever the depth of the cistern is, an old fashioned cast iron pump would do. Walk out the back door about maybe 20 feet and pump a bucket full. I am too lazy and you are industrious.. ;)

The brook is at the bottom of the slope about 400' down.

gunbunny likes this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

If your only concern is water, true. If your concern is water AND power, it can be done. Hardest part is the dam and hydro-generator. The rest is easily doable in one section units. Since each ram-pump uses the slop from the one previous, they would get slower cycling as they dropped, and the only loss would be from the last one. You would be creating a minimum loss waterfall powering a generator. And it can be large scale or small scale (just to recharge battery banks) and even the last stage would only be loss after the lower high pressure generator.
    Or, you could simplify it. and put down plastic on the slope to funnel water into a continuous pipe to just the lower high pressure generator at the bottom of the run. or run your down spouts to the pool, and use the pool to power the generator until the water is gone. The greater the drop, and the larger the pipe, the less water is actually needed, because the pressure goes up, and the nozzle can be smaller. Though if I just wanted to recharge batteries, solar or wind would be easier.;)

3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

And, they will determine that a new wetland has been created and the current buildings are encroaching on said wet land and will need to be torn down.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

And do not forget the State Water Rights Statutes.... If you mess with someone else's Water Rights, you can be sure that they are going to come look'en for you, with John Law, and a schister LawDog in tow.....

5. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Let's change gears a moment while I suggest a plausible scenario:

Assume TSHTF (much like in 299 days if you have read it). There hasn't be a total collapse, but it's very close. Money is useless due to hyperinflation. You live in a subdivision and are taking guard shifts for looters.

The problem, is, however, from the inside. Those with the fancy cars and jet skis don't have squat as far as food. There are a great number of people in this predicament while there are relatively few of you with deep pantries. They want to create a food bank with everyone else's food with the promise they will pay everyone back when the temporary hiccup is over.

You just heard on your VHF that there's a food collection group going from house to house.

The more food you "loan," the smaller the number of days your family has calories. The group doesn't get this and thinks you and the others with foo are being selfish.

They're knocking on your door shouting. What do you do?

6. VisuTrac

Bwhaahahahahahaa. I can't answer that because if the world does come back to life, it may be used against me in court.

7. VisuTrac

Is one of the answers a click followed by a forensics team?
    how about, well, you now need less food, are we done here?

STANGF150 likes this.
  8. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Specifically, what I would be interested in knowing is your boundaries. Obviously, each state has its own laws....but, you've got people trying to steal from you and perhaps cause you bodily harm in the melee. It seems reasonable that you should be able to protect yourself. BUT, if you have idiots like the blogwriter running the show, I would bet that you might be brought up on charges of endangering the lives of the grasshoppers by not turning over your food.

9. kellory

Donate lead. They can do their best to turn it into gold and trade it for food. (of course, they will need to dig it out first.)

10. VisuTrac

erm, the line in the sand is, I had the foresight to store a little extra for Me and Mine. And It's not going to you and yours. End of story.

What ever it takes to ensure that it stays mine is inbounds.
    Might I actually get killed? Quite likely if it gets to that point. BUT, there is going to be a pile of bodies that they'll have to climb to get to the door. AND... once I fall, there will be another that will pick up where I left off.

It's a game of attrition, just like Afghanistan. Just numbers.

I'm an ant, I don't get into interspecies goodwill. eff the grasshoppers.

11. kellory

The only building would be the lower hydro- generator, and that would be upstream from any resulting "wetland" And by prior existence can not encroach (to get too close to) said wetland. And creating a wetlands can mean tax abatements and grants as well.

"As for this:"And do not forget the State Water Rights Statutes.... If you mess with someone else's Water Rights, you can be sure that they are going to come look'en for you, with John Law, and a schister LawDog in tow....." RUNNING WATER, or PUBLIC LANDS, these things apply. And Texas, I believe has a statute about giving drinking water to anyone who asks, or something like it. That is because water is life. To intercept rainwater on your own watershed, before it enters a waterway should be free and clear, though you can get in a lot of trouble if polluted runoff from your lands enters a waterway and pollutes it. Water Rights deal with what is a commonly held property (running water/ waterways are protected) Watersheds are before they become waterways.

12. VisuTrac

I guess my last thought on this matter is. If I thought that someone prepared should take care of those idiots that didn't prepare, I'd have voted for Obama.

There I said it.

13. scrapman21009

scrapman21009 Chupacabra Hunter

@VisuTrac
    [respect] [applaud] Well said, nothing more to add here, everyone move along

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@kellory, You need to get up to speed on Water Rights Law... Your statements on "what should be" shows you really have no clue on Water Rights Law, which is a State Statute, and varies from State to State. There are States where you do NOT own the Rain that falls on your Property. There are many States where you don't even get the water that flows from your property, into any stream, or river. There are States where ALL the Water is already tied up, by other Users, and you have to BUY, any water you want to have, from those who OWN it. Like I stated, if you mess with someone else's Water, they will come look'en for you, with the local Sheriff, and a schister Lawyer, and it will cost you a pile of FRNs to get out from under the Criminal Theft, and Civil Damage Charges.... Water Rights is No Joking Matter, to those who have them, and they are DEAD Serious about folks who think otherwise...... Range Wars have been fought over Water Rights, and usually these days they get played out in Court. Water Rights Law is well established, and if you are on the wrong side of the Statutes, you will lose, and pay dearly, for the lesson...

Yard Dart and VisuTrac like this.
  15. kellory

There is an entire section of law that relates to water rights. It stemmed from range wars and barbed wire. blocked access to water and water was life. A man's life, his crops, his cattle, and his family would die without water, and many, many people died over water rights. i do know the history,(There was a time when I could even name the maker's and style of barbed wire) and it is a very large subject.(much too large to go into here) You are right, though, it does vary widely, depending on where you are. Here, you can hunt any waterway, even if the guy who owns the land says no, but if you drop anchor, you go to jail. Here, if you dig a pond on private land, it requires no permits, limits, hours of operation, nothing. It is yours, do with it what you will, but if there is any connection to a public waterway, that even a guppy could swim through, it is public access, and all permits apply. YMMV. (best suggestion, before starting ANY water project, hire an attorney to clear the way.)

BTPost likes this.
  16. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

"The optimum length of the drive pipe is five to twelve times the vertical distance between the source and the pump, or 500 to 1000 times the diameter of the delivery pipe, whichever is less." -- Wiki.

By topo map, the elevation change is over 500 feet. If it had a rate of flow high enough to push water up that high; I'd have a Pelton wheel for power and a cistern by the back door for drinking.

As it is on flat land, the brook lacks the flow needed. There is fast moving water about 1500' in a straight line (Google map's measure ;)) out and 1800 -2000' down.

My profession is design engineering, your calculations are making huge assumptions about the rate of flow in the brook. As it is the output of few springs and it small, narrow and shallow lacking the flow rate needed.

You must live in the North. ;) I lived in Clarkston, MI during the 1990s back when things were good in the automotive sector. Y'all got some ignorant ainti gun laws which is why I voted with my feet.

The reason many preppers buy guns is to protect themselves in time when there will be no law. If and when shtf arrives, no stranger will get close enough to start a melee.

BTPost likes this.
  17. kellory

For me, solving a mechanical problem is kind of like playing a game. I like the creativity, and thinking around corners. figuring out what works, and how to do it. Some people play with dominoes, or build models. I tinker. (which actually means fixing pots, but not in common usage any more) I don't have to have all the answers here. It is the problem here that interests me, not the bureaucracy. (That is what lawyers are for.) You guys are taking the fun out of this. So never mind, I think I'm done.

18. VisuTrac

I can get to clarkston in less than, well, let's just say it's close enough. :)

Yep, but Open Carry is making a resurgence! I love OC venues. Way safer than at places which ban guns.

19. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I was only there for two years; fishing was good. Caught a 36 pound King in Port Sanilac. At the time, MI had high taxes and very gun unfriendly. Specially for my kind of firearms; so I headed back South.

I am not much for open carry as it is visible with the potential to make the bearer a target. In a civilian society, I cannot keep people at a comfortable distance. However, open is about the only way a pistol can come out as fast as an edge..

20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

My thoughts exactly! I am just glad you said it first.... [flag]

Yard Dart and VisuTrac like this.
  1. CATO
  2. Beano
  3. CATO
  4. CATO
  5. CATO
  6. CATO
  7. Quigley_Sharps
  8. Seacowboys