Are you really ready without a barrel of Jack Daniels?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stg58, Jul 27, 2013.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

I was at Sam’s Club buying rice and they had a barrel, yes a real barrel of Jack Daniels for $9540.00

240 bottles rounded to $10K is $41 per bottle and you may have to buy 240 or so bottles. Does not seem like a real saving plus you would have to pay sales tax.

But all true preppers have a barrel or 2 of Jack.. right?

Jack-Daniels-Barrel-branded.

I had to check it out on the Jack site:

Verify Age | Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey
    What makes this a one-of-a-kind experience?
    The By the Barrel program is a unique experience for you and those you share it with. We'll work with you to select the right barrel in person if you'd like. The whiskey that's bottled is sourced only from your barrel – so there's no other whiskey like yours. And at the Distillery, we commemorate your barrel selection with a special plaque.
    Can anyone purchase a barrel?
    Yes, if you live in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Poland, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, UK or US.
    Can I buy a barrel of Jack Daniel's TN Whiskey?
    We only offer Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Select TN Whiskey.
    How many bottles can I expect from the barrel?
    About 240 bottles.
    How much does it cost to buy a barrel?
    About $10,000 (more or less, depending on the exact number of bottles and taxes).
    How long does the purchase process take?
    About 8 weeks total.
    Can I help pick out the barrel?
    Yes. You can visit the Distillery and help pick the one that's right for you, or ask our Master Distiller to pick one out for you.

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

OMG! Dude...you're also paying for the barrel to continue the aging process. That's fan-freaking-tastic!

Lots of money, though.

3. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Well it ain't Beam but it would do for barter I guess. :rolleyes:

tulianr likes this.
  4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

48 Gallons of JD whiskey ...... awesome end of the world dream.

Brokor likes this.
  5. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

i thought i real prepper just made there own ...

Mountainman likes this.
  6. -06

-06 Monkey+++

i thought i real prepper just made there own ...+1 KAS

7. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit drinking </Steven McCroskey >

8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Expect to loose a bit the Angels Share, say 10 gallons. All depends on how long and where you age it.

As bourbon ages, a portion of the liquid is lost from the barrel due to evaporation—that's the "Angel's Share."

9. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Old moonshiners used to bury their hooch in charred kegs to properly age it.

10. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I think there is a moonshine thread started here somewhere. You might add tips like that for the education of those for whom it may be legal?;)

11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Jack Daniels improves upon so many "home recipes", it's ridiculous. Seriously, the amount of skill it takes to make proper bourbon shouldn't be underestimated, although I am willing to bet a few old timers around here may know a few tricks...

Ha! It's funny you said that. *puts up fists* This is like the Chevy vs. Ford thing, or AK-47 vs. M4, lol! [wannamesswitme]

Tracy and oldawg like this.
  12. stg58

If barrels of Bourbon are a measure Kentuckians are some of the best preppers...

From Wiki:
    As of 2013, approximately 95% of all bourbon is produced in Kentucky, and the state has 4.9 million barrels of bourbon that are currently aging – a figure that exceeds the state population.

kellory and Brokor like this.
  13. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

not really considering about 90 percent of kentucy is a dry county including were JD is made they do have alot there just cant sell it in the store...
    If u want to be pissed off go to kentucky and try and find a liquer store ... better hope u r near paduka

14. stg58

Jack is Tennessee Whiskey calling it Kentucky Whiskey could set off a war....:)

KAS likes this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Jack Daniel's is a fine Cajun whiskey what is made in Tennessee !

16. stg58

The war is on....:)..

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. HK_User

Scotch, the only true whiskey and what others follow.

The first distillery in Scotland that made scotch whisky (spelled without the “e”) dates back to 1494 when many were believers in the medicinal qualities of distilled spirits. The whisky produced at the time was more like a grain based moonshine than the scotch whisky we know today. Not until the invention of the continuous still, did the purer single malts arrive on the whisky scene. A single malt whisky is produced at a single distillery using water, malted barley, and yeast. Depending on the region where a scotch is made often determines everything from the type of barley to whether or not the scotch is “peated.”

stg58 likes this.
  18. stg58

The Whiskey/Whisky war just went to the UK/Scotland ... Single malt scotch whisky V. Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey/Whisky V. Tennessee Whiskey.
    Any Irish Whisky fans?

BTW my whiskey/whisky stash. No EMP protection but I think it will be OK.....
    JackDistilleryPR009.

Why does NAFTA have a say in this?

Wiki again:
    Jack Daniel's whiskey is filtered through sugar maple charcoal in large wooden vats prior to aging, which is an extra step that is not used in making most Bourbon whiskey,[55] and the company claims that this makes the product different from Bourbon. However, Tennessee whiskey is required to be "a straight Bourbon Whiskey" under terms of the North American Free Trade Agreement,[56] and Canadian law,[57] and there is no other legal definition of the term "Tennessee whiskey" (other than U.S. law governing the definition of "whiskey" in general).

19. HK_User

The Whiskey/Whisky war just went to the UK/Scotland.

For now maybe you can list it as the UK!

With Luck the Scots may finally vote the UK out of their life.

stg58 likes this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

No matter, I'm putting a boiled crawfish in each bottle down here and calling it ''Cajun Blend'', The rest of the U.S. can suck it !

lol...

tacmotusn and oldawg like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7