Are You Strong Enough To Handle Your Weapons? SHTF Tools?

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by 3M-TA3, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Guerrilla Tactical

Guerrilla Tactical A Well Dressed Monkey

Heh, I dug a trench for a fire pit and chopped a bunch of firewood out in the woods on Independence Day, along with cooking burgers and beans for dinner over a fire.

I'm still sore. :/

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I'm getting up in age too. My mind says yes but my body says no way!

3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Unfortunately, the reality is that we need to train to do a lot of this.

Grave digger shade.
    No power, no resupply? Somebody has to dig the graves.

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Funeral Pyre.
    But to save fuel, couches, torn plastic bags, plastic children's toys and possibly scrap or two from an unusable pallet.

5. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I've smelled bodies burning. I'll keep digging.

chelloveck, ochit, Zimmy and 3 others like this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

A few years ago while my son was still living with me we went to play some air soft combat and right out of the gate I got a charley horse om my left calf . I may as well have been shot in the leg it hurt so bad I went right down to the ground . I was limping for several days .
    We got back on track brisk walking 5 miles a day . takes almost exactly an hour .depending on distractions .
    It is easier than you think for your muscles to atrophy ,all it takes is neglect .
    I can't do the lifting I did as a kid due to back injuries but it's still important to maintain upper body strength and core strength .
    I've built a lot of equipment for doing the lifting for me, but it can't cover it all .
    When you live alone you learn how to improvise if your smart ,avoid short cuts at every opportunity. Another thing is sitting up strait . being hunched over is a really bad habit .
    tough getting old .

7. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Yet another reason I keep my live stock.

I've no doubt that I may one day get careless and a motherly cow will kill me thinking she is protecting her calf.

Just kick some dirt over me and do not hurt the cow, she was just doing her duty.
    Too bad people don't know what Duty is.

ochit, techsar and Motomom34 like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Never discount what a bad guy is capable of .
    People that have orders are not necessarily a bad people, they can be taking orders from people with bad judgment.
    Never discount an opponent's reason, nor their resolve to get what they want .
    Some unprepared is trying to feed his family and stumbles on a prepper . The prepper makes an exception to the rules of survival and lets the unprepared have some food . Though the unprepared promises to keep this gift a secret, the first threat he meets finds out the source ,and news travels like wild fire, and the prepper is now a serious target .
    If you intend on helping some one, do it anonymously . So it cannot be traced back to you.
    Post SHTF there are no tax refunds for charity ,
    Relevant to the post .
    In star wars and the scene Yoda finally gets into battle . His action is disarming, usual walking with a cane and a limp ,but strikes into action like a clock that lost it's regulator .
    Survival, as with insect and wild life , use deception and stealth and cunning to survive.
    A bear lumbers along in the woods and most people don't even know that they can run a long ways at about 35 miles an hour . And you can run at what, a few hundred yards at 5-7 MPH ??
    How you practice at home, and how you perform in public should be two different people regarding one's physical capabilities.

duane, ochit, oldman11 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I switched to a keltec PMR30 plus 2 more mags to reduce weight.

It was sad indeed to put my 1911 in the house

ochit and oldman11 like this.
  10. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

I like the PMR30, it goes very nicely with the CMR30 carbine - now back to coffee and redheads and I can't believe I have to wait for 3 weeks to get my Miele coffee maker fixed. Need more redheads

oldman11 likes this.
  11. ochit

ochit Monkey+

If you see me running you better catch up. I can do a lot of things with a lot of equipment but not like I used to Time is killing all of us a day at a time thinking you can roll back the clock is only for those young enough to do so. A friend was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) in less than a year went from active work to wheelchair bound. another broke a knee cap another bone spurs another MI heart attack and survived with open heart surgery, ask any of them if they think they can get back to 50% to 75% of what they did the day before their incident and zero is that number. age has everything to do with illness or injury, and there is not condemnation to adjust to changing health and ability issues. by the way another had a motorcycle accident they will never ever recuperate twisted TBI traumatic brain injury no real short term memory and under 40 years old. Not long ago a 80 year old woman in a wheelchair shot and killed a kid that told her he was going to rape her and then sodomize her, she shot him dead with a 22 pistol it's not if you should or could it's that you will and with what you have.

I do not see a need for long range because you can't see further than a couple hundred yards unless your n a highway and I am not going near any highways much less paved roads during an upheaval of society.

Tell me the Tales of Brave Ulysses --- he's dead !

Asia-Off-Grid, duane and Zimmy like this.
  12. duane

duane Monkey+++

Real threat in age is from that most common weapon of mass destruction, the automobile. Drove 25 miles into the People's Republic of Mass yesterday. Had 3 different situations where I had the right of way, but someone in a real hurry pulled in front of me, turned in front of me, or backed out of a parking space in front of me. Was able to brake or steer out of all events, "but" as I age, and I am 80 now, my reflexes are slowing down and at some point I will not be able to avoid those situations and I "will" lose my right to drive as the powers that be will observe my "excessive" number of accidents and could care less that they weren't my fault. Once my wife and I lose our right to drive, our present location must be sold as it is 15 miles to the nearest grocery store and 35 miles to our Dr. Move in with kids, assisted living, apartment in city, etc, the independent life we now lead will be gone. We tend to fix our focus on the defensive weapons, 9mm vs 45, etc, but in this day and age and our present life styles, the real focus should be on transportation. That is going to be the real life changing event for most of us as we age.

13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

You could move to Pennsylvania. Up in PA, people can keep on driving even after they've been through the Egyptian ceremony to preserve their corpse, long after the funeral. It's great watching the elderly drive at circa 1930 speeds and completely ignoring the world around them until physics demands otherwise. I wouldn't be too concerned about losing your privilege to drive, I'd worry about the people who may be killed if there's an accident. I've seen far too many.

Moving in closer to the rest of the world when you're dependent upon it for survival is a good idea. There is also public transportation to be had, it's safer for everybody, too. There's a time to hang up the hat, it was a good run, but now you've got to go and put up with noisy neighbors. There's always a price to pay for comfort and luxuries. You're trading one type for another, there's no shame in it -we all age and get too old to drive. Well, everybody except Pennsylvanians.

Asia-Off-Grid and ochit like this.
  14. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

In our case a local transport system is in place. Make a call and be ready and you have a trip (you pay) to local area stores or docs. Make a call that you are ready and they will come back and pick you up. Not sure their range but I've seen the transport in a 20 mile range. This is a Texas run program an as well I have seen that we have a Taxi service in town.
    Not bad for a backwards Southern rural area that does not tax the folks on their income. Just a pay as you go. But then again it beats the hell out of most left wing states.

Maybe such a service will be in place by the time you need it.

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

We have something similar, a multi county (well, 3, I think) that operates on call. There are a couple of scheduled runs to hospitals, but those are few and far between. Cab fare is prohibitively expensive (but does exist), originates at least 40 miles away, and you get to pay twice, once going and once coming.

1. Alanaana
    This beach is right in my neighborhood.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Dunerunner
  7. dagdevıren
  8. DarkLight
  9. Bishop
  10. OldDude49
  11. Hanzo
  12. survivalmonkey
  13. Asia-Off-Grid
  14. UncleMorgan
  15. Motomom34
  16. Bishop
  17. survivalmonkey