Armistice Day-11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, the Great War ends.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stg58, Nov 10, 2014.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

My mother still calls the 11th of November Armistice Day.

Too all that have served and will serve my sincere thanks and gratitude.

[​IMG]
    Joseph Ambrose, an 86-year-old World War I veteran, attends the dedication day parade for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in 1982, holding the flag that covered the casket of his son, who was killed in the Korean War.

[​IMG]

Dont, Sapper John, tulianr and 10 others like this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

[​IMG]

I just finished observing Armistice Day at my local college. The librarian in the computer lab that I was working in asked the students to cease their work for a minute's silence...some did...some didn't. I did. In Australia the day is now called Remembrance Day to remember those who served in armed conflicts and peace keeping operations that Australians had participated in.

I had a great grandfather who served in the Russo-Japanese War at the beginning of the last century and who also served during WWI and Latvija's war for independance; A grandfather who served in WWI and Latvija's war for independance; an Uncle who served with the BCOF (British Commonwealth Occupation Force) in Japan post WWII and in Korea during the Korean War; and a son who served with the ADF (Australian Defence Forces) as a peace keeper in East Timor.

I, my father and a brother served in the Army Reserve in the ADF.

Lest We Forget.

3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]

Freedom does not come without a price. We may sometimes take for granted the many liberties we enjoy in America, but they have all been earned through the ultimate sacrifice paid by so many of the members of our armed forces. ~ Charles Dent

Dont, Sapper John, tulianr and 7 others like this.
  4. Yard Dart

[​IMG]

Sapper John, tulianr, stg58 and 6 others like this.
  5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

My Grandfather served in WWI, My father and uncle in WWII, I served during the Vietnam era, My son in Iraq. My mother's first husband was shot down over occupied Italy and was executed as a spy while trying to reach allied lines with the Italian underground. He was a bomber pilot and made sure his entire crew was safely out of the burning aircraft after taking flack on a low approach bomb run. After his capture by the Nazi's, he didn't divulge any information about the underground with which he spent two weeks recuperating from smoke inhalation before crash landing his aircraft.
    His crew all reached safety.

There were countless heroes during every conflict, some were recognized, others were not.

Thanks to each and every one who served their country in the military. You have made this country strong.

6. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

[​IMG]
    Tower of London Remembers - About the installation

The Tower of London moat has been transformed into a field of red ceramic poppies, as part of a massive art installation commemorating 100 years since the start of the First World War.
    The breathtaking installation by artist Paul Cummins is drawing massive crowds from across the U.K., as the nation prepares to mark Armistice Day on Tuesday.

Here's a breakdown of the installation titled "Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red" by the numbers:

• The installation contains 888,246 red ceramic poppies. Each poppy represents a British or Commonwealth soldier who was killed during the First World War.
      • Every poppy was handmade by a team of 12 different artists participating in the project.
      • It takes about three days for each poppy to be completed, including drying time.
      • More than 8,000 volunteers have helped to progressively plant the poppies in the moat. The first poppies were planted in August and the final poppy will be planted on Nov. 11, which is Armistice Day in the U.K.
      • By Nov. 12, it is estimated that close to four million people will have visited the Tower of London to see the flowers.
      • The poppies are being sold, with part of the proceeds going to six different charities which provide services and support to veterans.
      • A team of 11,000 volunteers will help remove the poppies after the exhibition closes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

To those who served and those who sacrificed, I thank you. Welcome home.

On Veteran's Day my thoughts always turn to someone I love. I am thankful he made it home to help shape me into who I am today.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

chelloveck, Sapper John and Yard Dart like this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Dont, chelloveck and Sapper John like this.
  9. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Thank you ghrit.

10. Darkwolf

Darkwolf Monkey+++

May the halls of Valhalla echo with the praises for the fallen
    May the wounded take pride in their service
    May the broken find peace

Thank You

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

This memorial is one of the best, if not a big one.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

stg58, Dont, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  12. Yard Dart

I still remember visiting this memorial many years ago when I first arrived in HI..... a very somber place to visit!!!

chelloveck likes this.
  13. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

When I served in the Navy, my ship was berthed directly across from the Arizona Memorial. All of Pearl Harbor is a very solemn place.

chelloveck, Sapper John and Yard Dart like this.
  14. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Was at the Texas road house with both my Vet son's yesterday. They thoughtfully had place a table for the POW's, MIA's and those that have passed on.. Found myself irritated to see someone sitting in the chair and others fowling the white table cloth with peanut droppings. Being a cranky old Marine, I pointed out that they should not be sitting there and point to the plaque for an explaination.. I cleaned the droppings while they read, then pointed them to another place to sit...

kellory, stg58, oldawg and 4 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7