ARMY ADMITS RE-EDUCATION CAMP MANUAL NOT FOR "PUBLIC RELEASE

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by Brokor, May 10, 2012.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

ARMY ADMITS RE-EDUCATION CAMP MANUAL NOT FOR "PUBLIC RELEASE"

Interesting. This story hasn't gained full steam yet. I see nothing blown out of proportion either. This is a subject which has been known and covered for many years, and I have followed it closely. Recently, an official US Army manual, entitled FM 3-39.40 Internment and Resettlement Operations reveals some facts little known before -the details are inside.

PDF: http://info.publicintelligence.net/USArmy-InternmentResettlement.pdf

STORY: » Army Admits Re-Education Camp Manual “Not Intended For Public Release” Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

EDIT: Civilian Inmate Labor Program (Unclassified, AR 210-35) Link: http://www.freedomfiles.org/war/r210_35.pdf

Attached Files:

hank2222 likes this.
  2. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I thought I had followed it too until now. I hadn't read this before. Knew there would be a policy for this of course but still made made my blood boil(even more).

3. sgt peppersass

sgt peppersass Monkey+

looks like we will have to all read "total resistance" to prepare for their FM-3-39.40. Print and study this BS, we will know what to expect and how to delay the process.

Brokor likes this.
  4. Catullus

Catullus Monkey+++

All I can do is shake my head...

Thanks for the info Brokor.

Brokor likes this.
  5. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

It's is just a matter of time until we will be a people under total goverment control, we are closr to that now. What I find funny about this and our goverment is. That all the talk of what is right and what is wrong about slavery and how these other countries hold it's people under the fist of the goverment. How that the goverments use their people as slaves and here our goverment, the American goverment has plans to put it's own citizens into goverment slavery. The worst part is most of the people will fall into line and march blindly into the goverment camps to embrace Big Brothers re-education with open arms.

Dogfood, bountyhunter and Cephus like this.
  6. sgt peppersass

sgt peppersass Monkey+

ill stay home or live in the woods behind my house before going to a camp.

bountyhunter, Cephus and Alpha Dog like this.
  7. Alpha Dog

I agree Sgt. the only way I will go is in a body bag to be use as an example of what happens to those who fight the system. Which thats fine I might have died for fighting the system but I died a free man and those bastards had to fight to get me and Im sure a few of them will be joining me in he11.

A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves. - Bertrand de Jouvenel

Give me Liberty, or give me death. - Patrick Henry

The best defense against surpatory government is an assertive citizenry. — William F. Buckley]

8. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

This will be a hard read. Knowing the oath that I raised my right hand to!
    This is the Intel that the average person will not rap around.

sgt peppersass, Alpha Dog and Brokor like this.
  9. Scary times, scary times my friends.

10. Catullus

Catullus Monkey+++

I know ultimately that nowhere will be safe from it.

However, let me say that I have never been so happy to get my a$% out of NY and back to NC. Just a few more weeks...

I live within 10 miles of the Cornwall border crossing. I have noticed a huge difference in the police/government presence over the past couple of years. Roadblocks are becoming a common thing up here now. I am law abiding citizen however there is way too much government uniforms up this way for my taste.

11. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

Better qualifed, better trained, far more expensive professionals have tried re-educating me, so I wish them luck. Probably shoot themselves if they try re-educating me.

Dogfood, larryinalabama and Alpha Dog like this.
  12. Alpha Dog

Hey Reble I think they should worry more with re-educating the idiots in Washington.

13. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

I don't want to bust anybody's bubble but they have been doing this for years in the schools .
    Back in the 90's some people went to China to study at Beijing China University and when they ask the Prof. how they planed on controlling the students like the ones that did the Tianamen Square protest they said they would start re-educating them much earlier .One of the people ask how much earlier and the Prof. said just like the USA we will start in grade 1 !!
    And so it has already started ,all one has to do is look at the school system !!
    JMHO

14. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Yeah i was happy to get out of the north country too.

15. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I think at my age they won't even attempt re-education just write me off so to speak. I WILL lessen the odds against others though. Re-education works both ways you see.

16. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

This is mostly a re-write of an existing field manual. This is not a new concept- Japanese internment camps had some of these first concepts implemented, and then developed into a field manual. Once in a while the Army will do re-writes of FM's to update to current times. NEO missions are trained for all the time, to secure folks in foreign rescue missions- mini camps to discern between friend and foe. We just never bothered with the foe after the mission was complete and friendlies were secure. What is troubling to me is that now, we Americans are part of the plan for identification and re-education.

As the government continues to tighten its rule over "we the people", we become part of the problem in the government's eyes. Once that line has been crossed and the we start to rebel at law's, tax's, weapon's seizures, what have you, some will have to be removed from society and re-indocternated IE- Bill Ayers (Obama's buddy) and the Weather Underground plans developed many years ago. If re-indoctrination is not successfull.....
    Ref- Prairie Fire William Ayers' forgotten communist manifesto: Prairie Fire

We need to continue to prep and be mindful of all that is going on in our society. We need to be engaged and vote for the ones who have a proven true American ideology in their politics, to defend our countries core values and constitution that our fore-fathers faught so hard to defend. The revolution that W.U. conceived in their manifesto is close at hand, and we need to prepare continually to be ready.

17. sgt peppersass

sgt peppersass Monkey+

all new laws and taxes really piss me off, i think the one that would push me over would be weapon confinscation

18. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

19. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Redneck those are powerful videos and should remind us every day what is coming nationally if we don't stop this downward spiral.

sgt peppersass likes this.
  20. Alpha Dog

I think the US goverment tried this re-education before they just called it re-construction. If you didn't agree with it you were imprisoned and the law was changed to take your rights all together. Alot of people left the South went to Mexico, Europe and other places in fear of the Federal goverment. What they were cable of or what they would do if the people showed they did not go along with the goverment plan. I did not post this to show my anything other than what the goverment can, will and have done when people refuse to follow Big Brothers shining light. In no way do I meen to offend or force my Southern beliefs on anyone and left my opions out.

Well I might put one give just one opion Yankee's have a total different view of the reconstruction. ( The wrong view) but still a view (lol)

Reconstruction
    What some in the North called "Reconstruction" meant something completely different to the people of the South. During the period of 1865 until the late 1870's, the South was divided into military districts, occupied by United States Army troops lostcause. and given U.S. Federal Government appointed military governors. Confederate veterans were not allowed to vote nor wear any part of their Confederate uniforms, including the buttons in public. Although Northern contention was that the Southern states remained part of the United States, they charged that the states lacked loyal governments. The Northern federal government needed to invent mechanisms to erect was they called “loyal state governments”. Men of honor in the South would fight these continually changing and increasing terms. Since the strong willed, honorable Southern leaders could not be controlled by the Northern Republicans, they simple would purge the leaders, unseat them, and either appoint or cause a re-election of officials to be conducted. They would not allow due process and democratic rule. They wanted puppet governments to follow blindly whatever notion they had. The Southern economy and society were decimated. The Southern land lay in ruins from the invading armies. Entire cities were destroyed, all food and supplies were, in large areas, destroyed.
    During this time there were many Southerners who lost all that they had. Nearly everyone lost family, friends and neighbors in the war. Many lost their ability to make a living, lost their homes and farms and if they did have anything left after the war ended, the U.S. federal government punished the South with high taxes. Southerners, who were already devastated by the ruin of war and now skyrocketing taxes became the last straw. Many just simply could not pay the demands of the U.S. government tax so they lost their property. Observers in the South found discouraged men, eager to sell their property and move elsewhere. Advertisements of plantations for sale at far below their pre-war value filled the newspapers. As little as $2.00 an acre would buy prime Virginia land that commanded fifty times that price before the war. The figures differed, but the facts remained the same all over the South. The South’s economic system had broken down.
    The upper Shenandoah Valley, traversed again and again by both armies, lay in waste. Between Winchester and Harrisonburg not a horse, cow, pig, chicken, crop, or a fence, could be found. Travelers described the area between Richmond and Washington as a desert, with burned farmhouses, untilled land, and no livestock. In the track of Sherman’s army, across Georgia and South Carolina, the distress was enormous. Reports told of women and children who had walked miles in search of bread; of others who were found crouching half-naked beside old brick chimneys, which was all that remained of their homes; of ten counties in northern Georgia that produced less food than could be found on any ordinary Northern farm.
    A visitor to Charleston, South Carolina, described the city as one "of ruins, of deserted streets, of vacant houses, of widowed women, of deserted warehouses, of weed-wild gardens, of miles of grass-grown streets." Once admired for its broad avenues, shaded by beautiful trees and flanked by fine lawns and gardens, the city had become a wilderness of ruins.
    Knoxville, Tennessee, had suffered as well. "Burnt houses and solitary chimneys over one whole quarter of the city, showed that the heart of East Tennessee loyalty had not been without its sufferings," reported newsman Whitelaw Reid. Atlanta was clearly stamped with the signs of Sherman justice, left with gaping windows and roofless houses, heaps of ruins on the principal corners and traces of unsparing destruction everywhere.
    Abraham Lincoln, while the war was still in progress, had turned his thoughts to the great problems of reconciliation and devised a plan that would restore the South to the Union with minimum humiliation and maximum speed. But there had already emerged in Congress a faction of radical Republicans, sometimes called Jacobins or Vindictives, who sought to defeat what they felt was too generous of a reconciliation program.
    johnson.a. Motivated by a hatred of the South, by selfish political ambitions, and by crass economic interests, the radicals tried to make the process of reconstruction as humiliating, as difficult, and as prolonged as they possibly could. With Andrew Johnson’s succession to the Presidency upon Lincoln’s assassination, the old Jacksonian Unionist took advantage of the adjournment of Congress to put Lincoln’s mild plan of reconstruction into operation. On 29 May 1865, President Andrew Johnson issued a “Proclamation of Amnesty” to the majority who fought for the Confederacy. He excluded the benefits of amnesty to many Southern leaders including civil and diplomatic officers and agents, officers above the rank of colonel in the army and lieutenant in the navy and all who had been educated at either West Point or the Naval Academy. Two years later he issued another proclamation on 7 September 1867 that reduced the exceptions to brigadier generals in the army and captains in the navy. Finally on Christmas 1868 Johnson issued a proclamation for unconditional pardon, with the formality of any oath and without exception to all who in any way sided with the Confederacy.<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />
    In December of 1865, when Congress assembled, President Johnson reported that the process of reconstruction was nearly completed and that the old Union had been restored. But the radicals unfortunately had their own sinister purposes: they repudiated the government Johnson had established in the South, refused to seat Southern Senators and Representatives, and then directed their fury against the new President. After a year of bitter controversy and political stalemate, the radicals, resorting to shamefully demagogic tactics, won an overwhelming victory in the congressional elections of 1866.
    The seceding states would be required to repeal all the CSA related legislation and to ratify the 13<SUP>th</SUP> amendment. When this was done, the states and their citizens were to receive all the rights guaranteed under the constitution for all states. </O:p>Having done this the Southern sent elected senators and representatives to Congress, but the rules changed again as the Congress of 1865 with it’s republican majority refused to admit the Southern members unless their states would now ratify the 14<SUP>th</SUP> amendment. This would transfer powers from the government on the state level to the government on the federal level. This would also, for the first time, define a citizen of the United States. Legislation by coercion. The states refused and Congress passed an act declaring another state of rebellion existing in Alabama, Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas. This new act now overturned the existing governments in those states and divided them into five military districts, each to be governed by an officer of the Federal army and called for new conventions in all states again.
    The 14th Amendment was a radical departure from the original letter and spirit of the Constitution. The Southern states would not vote for the 14th Amendment as it was in direct conflict with the beliefs that supported their secession in 1861. Of the 37 States voting on the 14th Amendment, 28 were needed to ratify the measure. Only 22 states voted in favor of it, 12 voted against it (all 12 were Southern States) and 3 did not vote. Mississippi's rejection resolution did not reach Washington, and it is numbered with the non-voting states.
    After the implementation of the Reconstruction Act the 14th Amendment was then passed by the remaining Northern states in the Union. This drew protest from the state of New Jersey who said that one of its Senators had been excluded from voting and that his seat had been vacated in the federal Senate when the 14th Amendment was proposed. The states of Oregon and Ohio also repealed their ratification of the 14th Amendment.
    One by one each Southern state accepted the U.S. government's demands and were readmitted to the Union, under their conditions. The State of Georgia was the last state to be readmitted, which took place, first in 1870, then again in 1878.
    This kind of “government” was forced on the Southern states for many years. If they could not get the states to ratify the 14<SUP>th</SUP> and 15<SUP>th</SUP> amendments to the Constitution with the body selected by the people, the Federal Congress would simple issue a new proclamation to purge the officials and replace them with new representatives. They continued this tactic until they could find submissive and kowtowing individuals who would do the Northern Republican’s will. Not only did the Northern Republican treachery reach into the capitals and legislative branches of the Southern people, but also their judiciary system. Lawyers could only practice law if they had not had any connection to the Confederate states and judges were appointed that were sympathetic to the Republicans.
    johnsonimpeachment. Riding roughshod over Presidential vetoes and federal courts, the U.S. Congress put the South under military occupation and formed new Southern state governments. The South, decimated by the war, was powerless to offer resistance. Not satisfied with reducing the South to political slavery and financial bankruptcy, Congress even laid their obscene hands on the pure fabric of the U.S. Constitution. They impeached President Johnson and came within one vote of removing him from office. Congress denied the power to raise state militias of their own to all of the former Confederate states. Arkansas, among others, begged Congress to repeal the law, and Congress obliged after some debate. In March 1869, Alabama, Arkansas, the Carolinas, Florida, and Louisiana were once more granted the power to establish militias. In 1870 Congress extended the privilege to Georgia, Mississippi, Texas, and Virginia.
    After the end of the War there were laws which were passed that were specifically written against Confederate Partisan Rangers, groups for the most part came out of Missouri. The laws prohibited any Confederate veteran of the Partisan Rangers from voting, holding any public office and from holding office in their local churches. This is just one example of how Reconstruction’s harshness was aimed at a specific group of Southern individuals.
    The South was then invaded by what became known as "carpetbaggers," which Webster defined as "a Northerner who went South after the Civil War to profit from the unsettled conditions of the war and Reconstruction period or any person, especially a politician who takes up residence in a place opportunistically." These individuals from the North who came to make money off of the misery of a shattered South. The carpetbaggers bought land for practically nothing from poor and starving Southerners, or simply purchased it from the government because of back taxes due. They were aided in their enterprise by the "Scalawag" as Webster defined as " a scamp, a rascal, a Southerner who supported Republican policy during Reconstruction often for political and/or economic gain." The scalawag allied with the carpetbaggers using the Radical Republican Reconstruction policies to punish the loyal Southerners and profit from their pain.

<DT> freedman-2. The United States Congress established the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen and Abandoned Lands after the passage of the 13th Amendment, which freed the slaves, in 1865. It was to provide food, medical care, education, and other assistance to the homeless freed people in the South. The Freedman's Bureau, headed by Major General Oliver O. Howard, might be termed the first federal welfare agency. Instead of undertaking the noble road of helping to educate, train, and provide for the refugee citizens, they chose instead to encourage racial tension and hate, directing oppression to the Southern white population. It soon became a despised institution in the South not because of its purported mission, but because its actual practice in subjection of the former Confederate Nation. The illustration to the right was from Harpers Weekly 1868 and was the image the North had of the Bureau job as protector. The Southern feelings of the times are represented in these passages from the Southern Historical Society Papers: "With the progress of Northern arms grew up an institution founded ostensibly, perhaps really, for the protection of the rights of the newly emancipated slaves. This institution, known as the Freedman's Bureau, became for the time the ruling power in the State. It interfered in all the concerns of whites and blacks, its officers were generally men who not only had no love for the South, but who made it their mission to foster in the minds of the blacks a bitter hatred and mistrust of the whites. They were, on all occasions, the champions of the negroes' rights, and never failed to instruct them that it was to the Republicans that they were indebted for all the rights which they enjoyed. In the train of the Bureau came the school mistresses who instilled into the minds of their pupils the same lessons of hatred and hostility. The consequence was, that though the personal relations between the races were friendly, though the blacks invariably addressed themselves to the whites as to true friends for all offices of love and kindness, of which they stood in need, they would never listen to them, if the latter wished to speak about politics. This feeling was intensified by the introduction of the Union League, a secret society, the members of which were solemnly bound never to vote for any but a Republican. The negro has a large development of secretiveness, and this association which bound the souls of all by its solemn oaths and which on holidays paraded the streets with the Bible borne by the president and the superior officers at the head with mystic symbols, had a rare fascination for them. By such means the negro presented a solid phalanx of Radicalism, bound by superstition and fanaticism to the service of the party, and it is not wonderful that when the bonds of the League began to break that the Republican party suspected that only violence on the part of the whites could have estranged them from their allegiance to that party which had claimed them so long as their freedman. bounden servants. </O:p>
    Bad as all this was, even this might be borne had the Republican party contained the average number of good and honest men as in other parts of the country. With Republicans who had a real love for the State, the negro, under their training might have developed into good and useful citizens. But it was otherwise ordered. The Constitutional Convention, which met in pursuance of the Act of Reconstruction, consisted principally of negroes, without any kind of training, and who necessarily were but tools in the hands of designing persons. The whites who were in it were either renegade Carolinians, or men whose war record had been good, and who now hoped to make themselves powerful by early joining the party in the ascendant; or Northern men who had come hither to make their fortunes out of the new order of things; many had been attached to the Freedman's Bureau; many were men of infamous character at 'home, and came like buzzards to prey upon the carcass of the ruined State; all were men upon whom dark suspicion hung, and these were the ruling spirits of the Convention. </O:p>The Convention made a tabula rasa of the whole State. All officers were displaced; the judiciary destroyed; the whole field cleared for the grand experiment which Republicanism was now going to make in the State. </O:p>
    At an election, which was held soon after the adjournment of the Convention, Scott of Ohio, the chief of the Freedman's Bureau, was raised to the office of Governor, and the satrap displaced Governor Orr to make way for him. Chamberlain was made Attorney-General, and Parker, Treasurer. He had once been a bartender in Haverhill, N.H. His house was destroyed by fire, and the insurers refused to pay for the loss; but Parker did not deem it prudent to prosecute his claim. We have seen how he was indicted for embezzlement, and the farcical termination of that prosecution. </O:p>
    The Legislature was composed largely of negroes; but in almost every delegation were men, who having come to Carolina to carve out fortunes for themselves, were afterwards known by the significant appellation of carpet-baggers. These were the men who controlled the Legislature. </O:p>As no property qualification was required for a seat in that body, it was by many regarded as a pleasant and easy way of making money, and it was not long before it was discovered that besides the salaries, which were unprecedentedly large, every member had the means of making an honest penny by the sale of his vote. A new business arose and prospered in Columbia, a sort of political brokerage, by which men contracted with speculators to buy the votes of members when they were interested in the passage of any measure. Here was a corruptible Legislature under the influence of men utterly corrupt. This corruption was barefaced. The corrupt men who governed the Legislature had no sense of decency, no compunction, provided they got what they wanted. In all civilized communities the rights of a minority are secure, even if utterly un-represented, there is a public opinion which restrains even corruption and checks it in its mad career. In South Carolina there was no public opinion. Society was divided into the conquered whites, who were destined to satisfy the voracious appetites of the carpetbagger, and the needy and ignorant negro, directed by his hungry teachers.
    The whites had no rights which they were bound to respect; if they paid the enormous taxes which were levied upon him, the negro was satisfied; he had done all that it was necessary for him to do in the degenerate State. </O:p>It was utterly vain to arraign any one on the charge of corruption. The more corrupt a man was supposed to be, the greater was his power with the party. The wretched Whittermore had been expelled from the House of Representatives in Congress for the petty crime of selling a cadetship. This disgraceful petty crime never lost him any of his power. He continued as before to govern the Peedee country, and was, doubtless, the more esteemed because of his cleverness in making a corrupt bargain. So, too, the infamous Leslie, who did not even deign to deny the charges of huge fraud in the land commission swindle, but defied his accusers, threatened to expose their crimes and lodge them in the penitentiary; and he continued to govern and to represent the county of Barnwell as long as he chose. </O:p>
    Not only were charges of corruption unavailing to destroy their power among the ignorant masses, they were impotent to weaken their influence with the leaders. Every one of them accused every other of crimes which ought to be followed by ignominious punishment; but such is the cohesive force of plunder, that all these robbers, as they called each other, would, when their power was in danger, knit anew the bonds of friendship and present a solid and unbroken front against all who dared attempt to rid the State of their destructive and blighting presence.
    And all this seething mass of corruption was sustained by the moral power of the government. The infamous Patterson had the ear of the President. The garrisons of soldiers posted in the different parts of the State were always represented to the negroes as placed there to protect them from their enemies-the whites; and on more than one occasion it seemed as if they regarded the whites as not only a conquered, but a seditious and rebellious people. The Governor, too, studiously kept them in the position of a suspected race.
    scott.rk. When Governor Scott was organizing the militia, he refused to enroll white companies, and the whole military organization was confined to the negroes. A few white Radicals were honored with offices, but the white citizens of South Carolina were entirely disfranchised. Arms of the best and most approved patterns, and ammunition to suit, were lavishly bestowed on this militia of Scott's making, and many a citizen of the State, black as well as white, fell victims to this reckless arming of a semi-barbarous race. At Hamburg, in the Elberton riots, and at Cainhoy, the rifles which the whites had paid for were used freely against them, and they were denounced for their outrageous treatment of the poor and heavily oppressed negro. </O:p>
    It has been asked why did not the whites join with the Republicans and reform the abuses which were ruining the State ? Twice they made the attempt. Twice did they join with those members of the Republican party who seemed disgusted with the course of their own party. Once they supported Judge Carpenter against Scott, and once Green against Chamberlain. On both occasions they were utterly defeated. The movement was regarded as an unwarrantable intrusion into the sacred fields of the party. The State seemed bound to the car of Radicalism forever.
    Such was Republicanism as it was known to the people of South Carolina. Is it to be wondered at that the white people eagerly embraced the party of Democracy? That party, at least, had no corruption like that of the Republicans of this State. That party repudiated the doctrine that the army of the United States might be employed, under pretext of protecting one party, to undermine the liberties of all; and the leader of that party had lately signalized himself as the determined foe of corruption. In the election of Samuel Tilden the humiliated Democracy dared to hope for a return to better things. Another cause also was operative. Eight long years of misrule had not been without their pernicious effects. It was not alone the loss of property--the confiscation of their estates by taxation that weighed heavily upon the people. They could bear the loss of property. They had submitted without a murmur to the results of the war. But the iron of oppression was entering their souls and producing its most fatal effects--a pathetic hopelessness. A tale of corruption caused but a shrug--we had become too much accustomed to the story to be keenly moved by it. We gazed on the picture with listless apathy, and only wondered what would be the next development, and the secret cry of every one was, How long, oh Lord, how long !"
    In the spring of 1877, the Tragic Era finally came to an end when President Rutherford hayes.rb. B. Hayes withdrew the federal troops from the South and restored home rule. But the legacy of reconstruction remained in the form of a solidly Democratic South and embittered relations between the races. To give you an idea of just how far the U.S. controlled Southern state governments of the reconstruction era, consider this: In 1868 in South Carolina, the Republican Party, the ruling party at that time, raised a state tax to cover the cost of the South Carolina constitutional convention. This convention wound up its proceedings by transforming itself into the Republican state convention and nominating a full ticket for the party. The total cost that the convention levied against the taxpayers of the state was more than $2,250,000. This tax alone was almost six times larger than the entire state tax that was collected in 1860, when South Carolina was one of the wealthy commonwealths. The convention membership was 73 black and 51 white. Of the 51 white men, 23 were actual residents of the state. Tim Hurley, a wandering jockey from Northern race tracks, was chosen to call the assemblage to order. Of the 73 black members only 13 paid any taxes at all.
    The first General Assembly under the new constitution consisted of 85 black men and 72 white men, the vote on joint ballot being 136 Republican and 21 Democratic or "Conservative." Of the black senators, only 3 paid any taxes which amounted to a total of $2.19. Of the black representatives 58 were non-taxpayers. The state was passed officially from control of the United States army, under General Canby, on July 25, 1868.
    emancipated1865. One of the first acts of the new legislature was to appropriate $800,000 with which to buy land to be sold to actual settlers on easy terms. This was a definite beginning for the "forty acres and a mule" promise to each black citizen, but it failed to materialize because most of the money was stolen outright. One investment was Hell Hole Swamp, which was bought by the commissioners for $26,000 and sold to the state for its colored wards for $120,000. This land enterprise was the third or fourth of the series of open, bare-faced thefts of public money that continued seven years unchecked. In that time the state's bonded debt was increased from less than five million to more than seventeen million in six year. Then in one year the bond jumped to twenty million, or more than ten per cent of the total taxable values. The speaker of the House and president of the Senate gave pay certificates, sight demands on the treasure, on any pretext that struck their fancy and to anybody they chose to bribe or pay, including their gambling losses. In one year $1,168,000 of such certificates were issued.
    In 1874 in the county of Charleston 2,000 pieces of real estate were forfeited for taxes. In nineteen counties 93,293 acres were sold and 343,891 forfeited for taxes. This is but a brief sample of some of the things that happened in one state. The stories like these continue on from one Southern State to another. It was during this period of time that black and white relations in the South would take a considerably sharp downward turn. The U.S. federal government found opportunity after opportunity to drive a wedge between the black and white communities in the South. Even still, race relations in the South remained much better than they ever were in the North. As you remember many laws that passed Northern State legislatures outlawed immigration by black citizens, or assessed fines and jail terms for those just traveling through their territory.
    There is no justification for the terrible ten year period from 1867 to 1877 known as reconstruction. North’s strange and unconstitutional concept was that although the Confederate States never left the Union, the populace of the Southern States had abrogated all their constitutional rights through rebellion, but still retained all their obligations as citizens of the United States. Under this concept the Southern States never left the Union because the land couldn't rebel; however, the people could and they had to be "transformed" or “reconstructed” into loyal citizens. Of course, the Union never even attempted to determine who, in the Southern </O:p>States, had remained loyal, and who had been rebellious. Lincoln appears to </O:p>have invoked a strange concept that the State could mean the land itself devoid of any people. It was their view that the Confederates had put themselves outside the Union and it was now necessary for them to be reconstructed before they could resume their former state as true citizens. It was the contention of the Northern Republican Congress </O:p>that the Southern States should be punished before being allowed back into the union. It was very important to the Northern Republicans that they maintain their voting majority in the congress. They feared that the return of the Southern Democrats would take away from their majority and for that reason they sought to keep their new found power. </O:p></O:p>
    Cotton was one of the principal resources left to the people after the war. Cotton production was down which figures due to diminished resources, capital, labor, etc. Those left at home did what they could to raise food for themselves and for the troops and if any resources were left they were put into something that might be converted to cash, such as cotton. In late 1864 cotton was declared a 50 cent per pound crop and the CSA government had attached at 10% tax, or 5 cents per pound to help with war finances. Cotton could be bought for gold at 20-35 cents per pound. The Federal government had made it its policy to confiscate cotton held by the Confederate government, but greedy generals and government officials soon extended this confiscation to private citizens who were considered “disloyal” to the government. In Boston the greedy speculators were selling cotton from $.81 to nearly $2 a pound. What the Yankee armies could not confiscate, steal or horde, they destroyed.
    At the end of the war the worldwide supply of cotton was scarce so prices rose. In 1865-1866 3 million bales (@ 400 pounds per bale) of cotton were confiscated by the Federal government. Since the war was over, the government shifted their confiscation plans from the army to "agents", who received a 25% commission on all cotton “recovered” for the government. Treasury records of 1866 show that only 114,000 of the 3,000,000 bales were turned over to the US Government. If the commission on 3 million bales would have been 750,000 bales and the US Government take was 114,000 that would account for only 864,000 bales or 28.8% leaving 2,136,000 bales unaccounted for, or in other words stolen. </O:p>
    Figures for the value of the cotton at that time ran between 20-65 cents per pound, using an average low figure of even 40 cents per pound the values here would be 1 bale = 400 pounds, @ .40/ lb = $160 per bale; 3 million bales taken x $160 = $480 million, 25% commission = $120 million, 114,000 to US government treasury $23 million, leaving $337 million in the STOLEN category. While some certainly could have been damaged and destroyed, it still leaves a lot to question. To compare 1866 dollars with current dollars, using a conservative times 10 figure we see a 48 Billion confiscation and a missing 33.7 billion in assets. So go the spoils of war to the Union. </O:p></O:p>

Protests were sent to the government at all levels and lawyers made attempts to sue the government via the Supreme Court to recover the value of the cotton. A few Southern farmers obtained some compensation, but most claims were ignored. When it could no longer steal the commodity, the US Treasury Department went back to its old tricks of extracting taxes. A 2-½ cent per pound tax was imposed on cotton from 1865. Southern members of Congress and sate legislatures, distinguished citizens, commercial bodies and eminent lawyers rose arguments that the tax was not legal because it was imposed without the consent of the Southern people and they were not wholly represented in Congress and because the men who raised cotton paid the same taxes as others paid and this was an extra tax on cotton, deemed unfair punishment. The US Government response was to raise the tax to 3 cents per pound in 1866-68. Finally in March 1868 efforts succeeded to cancel this unfair tax. Senator Lee Overman of North Carolina introduced bills to Congress to get the refund of over $68 million dollars (nearly a 1 billion in today's dollars) in taxes to the growers. Even the US Supreme Court heard cases from the states on this issue as late as the 1920’s, but justice was not served. <DL><DT>Reconstruction was the contention of the Northern Republican Congress to maintain their power without any true Constitutional legal justification whatsoever. Contention, not justification, is what brought about the era after the war known as Reconstruction. No other section of the present-day United States has ever suffered such devastation. </O:p></DT></DL>The Capture and Imprisonment of President Jefferson Davis </O:p>
    </O:p>
    Upon President Davis's capture he was transported to Fortress Monroe, Virginia. There he was shackled and chained in a damp cell. He had absolutely no privacy as he was put in an open casemate where guards and the curious were allowed to watch him at their leisure. A light was kept burning twenty-four hours a day, giving him virtually no rest, until after many months his wife was allowed to make him a mask for his eyes. President Davis's health deteriorated dramatically during his imprisonment. He was in shackles and chains until they had to be removed for medical reasons. . No where can it be found that Jefferson Davis or other CSA National leader was guilty of any crime, yet he was imprisoned for two years. President Davis was first accused of being an accomplice in the Lincoln assassination. There was no evidence of any involvement on his part in this assassination. Next the Northern government charged Davis with cruelty to prisoners of war. Again no case could be made here that Davis was directly or even indirectly responsible for any suffering of prisoners of war. Finally a charge of treason was entered against Davis, but after some of the best legal minds reviewed the facts, the charge was dropped. Finally, on May 11, 1867, Davis was taken to the Federal court room in the Custom abolitionists Gerrit Smith and Horace Greely. Although still scheduled to be tried for charges of treason, he would never be tried. Jefferson Davis was never brought to trial on any violation of law by the United States government.
    </O:p></O:p></O:p></O:p>
    </DT>

wrc223, oldawg, Sapper John and 2 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7