Army to issue PT bracelet

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Yard Dart, Apr 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    WASHINGTON -- Army officials on Saturday announced it will soon field a personal fitness bracelet that will allow Army leaders to track their Soldiers' fitness in real time.

The technology will enable Army leadership to monitor their Soldiers' activity level, physical location, and intake of foods, liquids, and other substances. It also allows leaders to provide remote mentoring in real time, according to Dr. Duke McDirkington, the lead scientific advisor from the U.S. Army's Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, or USARIEM, and the co-chair of the Army's Physical Training Belt Task Force.

"We know for a fact through scientific research and polls that Soldiers already love the 'PT' Belt," McDirkington said. "But they have demanded a device like this that would allow their leaders to send corrective guidance when the system detects a caloric spike due to things like junk food."

The congressionally-mandated joint task force of USARIEM, and Program Executive Office, or PEO, Soldier, has spent seven years developing the device, which is embedded in a reflective, elastic wristband similar in appearance to the PT belt. Like their dog tags, Soldiers will wear the new fitness tracking device at all times.

"This is an exciting component of the Army's modernization strategy and will take readiness to unprecedented levels," said Col. Simon Richards, task force co-chair from PEO Soldier.

HOW DOES IT WORK?

The new bracelet features a two-inch screen that provides visualizations of fitness data and progress reports on a Soldier's specific levels of fitness, sleep, carbohydrates, protein, water, and alcohol.

"The bracelets blend perfectly with our PT belts, increasing safety for our Soldiers and survivability during physical training," said Sgt. Maj. of the Army Daniel A. Dailey, who expressed enthusiasm about the potential of the new technology.

The bracelet collects data through epidermis scanning sensors built into the wristband. Scans automatically synchronize the data to measure the Soldier's fitness profile against the optimal Performance Triad profile established by Army fitness researchers.

Leaders will offer remote video mentoring when a Soldier's fitness profile measures poorly. Should a Soldier's levels indicate they have consumed too much alcohol, for example, the Soldier will have the opportunity to be mentored by his or her first sergeant about the dangers of drinking.

For Army leaders who have been disappointed in the past by Soldiers' seeming indifference to physical fitness discipline, the new fitness bracelet is a promising new tool for shaping the force.

"We're merely a product of the Army's tools and training," Dailey said. "These new fitness bracelets will increase our Soldiers' ability to improve their capabilities and become a better warrior, while simultaneously shifting the ultimate responsibility for monitoring their fitness levels from the Soldiers themselves to Army leaders."

General officers were involved in the pilot and initial testing phases for the device, which will eventually be issued to all ranks. Among the officers who had the chance to evaluate the bracelet was Maj. Gen. Malcolm Frost, the Army's chief of public affairs.

"Helping to test this device has been both interesting and exhausting," Frost said. "I wasn't sure what the hell this thing was, but my individual readiness has never been higher since Gen. Milley has been able to send me motivating messages at all times, day or night."

The PT bracelet also employs a geo-location feature that will issue proactive alerts to the Soldier whenever the Soldier is within close proximity to an establishment listed on the Army's new "Restaurant Off-Limits List" that garrison commanders compile and maintain.

Army leaders will not be notified unless the Soldier actually enters the establishment. However, the alert, which takes the form of a loud sound similar to that of a foghorn, will not stop until the Soldier retreats to the safe zone, a 50-foot buffer surrounding the establishment.

The bracelet also allows Soldiers to switch the foghorn sound to a more familiar option, such as "screaming drill sergeant" or "banging on a metal trash can."

"We are currently working on an upgrade to the device that will synchronize with their Smartphone navigation app to automatically divert them towards a more healthier dining option, like a tofu bar or an organic vegan establishment," said Dr. Ann Noffunatall, a nutritionist with the Office of the Surgeon General's System for Health Directorate.

"In those areas where such options don't exist the app instead would provide recipes for healthier alternatives so the Soldier can prepare the meal himself," Noffunatall added.

Regardless of the Soldier's location, the bracelet will send a notification to the Soldier's leadership if his or her levels of sugar or alcohol spike beyond optimal levels, at which time the Soldier's first sergeant or other supervisor may choose to provide a real-time, remote mentoring session through the device.

SOLDIER FEEDBACK

Soldier feedback has played an integral role in the development of the new PT bracelet, according to Richards. "You don't mess with something as iconic as the PT Belt without ensuring buy-in from the troops," he said.

Richards acknowledges that some Soldiers expressed concerns during the feedback phase about having to wear the device even when they were off duty, but Richards insists that just as many Soldiers were excited about the opportunity.

Initially, the task force tested the device with a sample of 300 Soldiers at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington, but further refinements of the bracelet's features are based mainly on feedback from Soldiers who responded to a Facebook poll, where the device elicited an enthusiastic response.

"This PT-Belt-looking bracelet is really going to maximize my personal HOOAHness," went one Facebook comment by 2nd Lt. Lenny Williams, a Washington, D.C. National Guardsmen.

"I'm a warrior, and it's super important to get my 10,000 steps in each day," commented Carl Steve, who is scheduled to tackle Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps, during his senior year. "I jumped all over those old guys on social media. They just don't get why it's important for Big Army to yell at their Soldiers whenever it's needed."

The new fitness device is scheduled to undergo field testing in June of 2017, with an expected Army-wide rollout on April 1, 2018.

Army to issue PT bracelet with 24/7 fitness tracking, remote mentoring

2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

sounds invasive as hell!

Dont, DKR and GrayGhost like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

[LMAO]

GrayGhost and Yard Dart like this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

That's going to get old really fast.

DKR, Dunerunner and Yard Dart like this.
  5. Yard Dart

Fish on..... hooked on the first cast. ;)

Tully Mars, VisuTrac, Brokor and 2 others like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I would like to know how many of our soldiers here eat tofu dogs.

PS- healthy eating choices will not work unless they put a zapper on the device.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  7. Yard Dart

Not this guy........[yukface]

Dont likes this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

omg another april fool post! bad dog @Yard Dart no cookie for you!

oldawg, Brokor, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  9. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Sounds like AprIL fools prank to me...

Motomom34, Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  10. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I knew it was an April Fools for sure at "Dirk McDirkington"

Brokor, Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  11. Yard Dart

Mmmmm cookies!! [MG]

This line just cracked me up.......

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

It may be a spoof but I have been thinking on this. I think if you wear a fitbit or have one of those apps, they should give you a zap if you are headed towards unhealthy. Sounds cruel but............ it should monitor the grease content in the air and give you a jolt when you walk into a McD's and such.

Yard Dart and DarkLight like this.
  13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

:lol: Took less than ten minutes to hook the first fish ---

Yard Dart likes this.
  14. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

April fools' day notwithstanding....a "generals' anti wanking wristband" would be a nice touch: with a corresponding audio alert announcing "get your hands off it!"

Motomom34, Brokor and Yard Dart like this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Nothing is proof against dot mil enlisteds. Even M60s and M113s get meddled with ---

Yard Dart likes this.
  16. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

That was among my other thoughts....that and a lot of group conspiracies to frustrate the underlying intent of the system. There are few systems that don't have some exploit or another....

Perhaps the fittest soldier in the squad might be wearing their mates' fitness bands?

[​IMG]

Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@ghrit you such a superior example or personhood APril Fool!

Motomom34 likes this.
  18. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Screaming Drill Sergeant - banging on trash can - I guess the Marines will be included at some point.

Yard Dart likes this.
  19. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

It may need a louder speaker built in.

20. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Doesn't really matter. As long as Chuck Norris is around, the Air Force, unfortunately, will be the push-up champions! ;)

chuck.

1. Yard Dart
  2. ED GEiN
  3. chelloveck
  4. Bishop
    Here is how you make a warfbow. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, May 17, 2019, 0 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  5. 3M-TA3
  6. Yard Dart
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Mindgrinder
  9. Motomom34