Array # 4

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by TnAndy, Dec 3, 2012.

1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

DSC04535.JPG DSC04536.JPG DSC04538.JPG Well, another end of the year project, adding a new array of 10 panels (255w ea) for 2550watts peak. This will get me up 8.5kw total.

Made some changes this time around. Fixed mount, for one thing. Panels I bought last fall for $600 are down to about 300 now.....so I am mounting these on a fixed, south facing base rather than build another tracking mount.

Also trying the Enphase micro inverters that will feed this array to the grid only, not to my battery bank.

I confess to copying fellow Tennessean Doug Kalmer's design from Solar Gary's site: Doug's New 4.6 KW micro inverter DIY Grid Tied PV Array

Got the racking built over the last few days, plan to start mounting panels tomorrow after a trip to town to buy some wiring/disconnect/etc......

ditch witch, Mindgrinder and BTPost like this.
  2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

Wont you run out of mountain?

3. TnAndy

Yeah...eventually. There is only another 2000' to the top.

:D

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Gad. Cover the mountain and you can power an aluminum smelter.

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Looks great.
    What did you build the mounts out of?

6. TnAndy

1 1/2" galvanized pipe, with 2x2x3/16" galvanized angle for the inverter/panel mounting.

7. TnAndy

Yep......from my original 12 panels (175w each) (2.1kw) in Dec 2008:

ry%3D400

to 40 panels now: (8.5kw) Turned on the latest 10 this morning. Naturally, the day sucked, was overcast and all. They did a whopping 1.4kw/hr. Sun supposed to be out nice tomorrow, so maybe more like 10kw/hrs then !

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

These last 10 panels, I went with Enphase microinverters which mount right at the back of the panels, and change the DC to 240AC. They also connect to the internet, and you get a nice reporting/real time info from your own page at Enphase.

Here is the side I can let the public see, if you're interested: Not much to look at today, but over time, it might get to be interesting.

TnAndy's Page
    ry%3D400 ry%3D400 ry%3D400

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7