ARRL

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by sec_monkey, Oct 8, 2018.

1. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Interesting... I must admit that I don't know much about ARRL except they bombarded me with requests to subscribe and join after I got my Technical and General licenses. I have not joined as I am very reluctant to join any group or organization. Hell, this is the only forum I am on. So, since I don't have an Extra license yet and don't have an antenna or ham radio (besides a few cheap handhelds), I have no interest to join. Not sure if that is right or wrong but that's the way it is. However, it does sound like something very particular is happening and the question that comes to my mind is, 'Why?'

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

The ultimate Good Old (operative word here is OLD) Boys Club.

YA and their magazine is all but worthless these days as well.

Gator 45/70, DarkLight and sec_monkey like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

As with any .ORG, the ARRL is run by a bunch of “ Old Farts” who are trying to keep the Power that they have, and the young guys are trying to throw them out... Nothing NEW to see here...

5. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

I do like it when somebody cares and attempts to educate voters, I wish there was more of that kind of thing with NRA because otherwise I don't have a clue who any of them are so I just don't vote. The problem though, is that if they don't make it plain, it might be somebody you'd disagree with on principle if you only knew where they were coming from. Like all the RINOs claiming to be "Tea Party". Whenever politics comes up in relation to ARRL, I find way too many lefties, almost like education. I became a lifer just so I could completely ignore any further mail from them. No more renewals to worry about

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

One of the problems with the ARRL constitution is that just about every function is covered by the board, without as far as I know, without bringing any mater before the membership. The constitution needs overhaul, and I think there's a movement toward that end. Like every other bureaucracy, the wheels will turn slowly. Bear in mind that control is centralized as it needs to be for ARRL purposes.

Yes, I recognize the contradiction; however, we must not forget that a bureaucracy will better know how to deal with another one. Fer zample, the FCC.

7. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

ARRL began to stink like fish about 2014. Last year I paid any dues. They get it fixed, I may join again. They are the voice of my favorite hobby.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I dumped those “Old Fart” Turkeys 30 years ago... I still buy a Handbook, once every Decade, but that is it...I put them in the same catagory as AARP...

9. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

They aren't there. Yet. At least they don't weep for funds as often as the AARP or the NRA. With the NRA, there are other (tho' minor) speakers for the cause, and plenty of bugles for the elderly. The ARRL is the ONLY mouthpiece for hams. The rag is arguably worth the price of membership. Like I said, arguably.

sec_monkey likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7