1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Asking the right questions!

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by duane, Sep 7, 2015.

1. duane

duane Monkey++

A couple years ago I was in Amish country and wanted to buy a Baker hand pump to replace the pitcher pump that I had on my shallow well. The well is 24 feet deep with 8 feet of water and 10 feet from my greenhouse. We used it for 20 years as our primary water supply and it never went dry. I stopped at an Amish windmill shop and asked for a pump with the cylinder below the water level, so it would not freeze, and said I wanted to pump water into a bucket. The old gentleman talked to me for a few minutes, went out back and came out with a Baker pump, the sucker rod, foot valve, and the cylinder. Well I put it together. and it works perfectly and does just what it should do and does just what I asked for. With a few weeks experience using it I have been taught more about hand pumps than I ever wanted to know. If I had spent another $50 , I could have replaced the cast iron pump cylinder with a brass lined one. It is below water and will not rust out, but if you do not use it for a week or two, you will get some rusty water in the first bucket pumped and you have to dump it out. Then I found out that if I had spent a couple hundred more, 25-30 % more, I could have had a "force" pump with a seal on the pump rod, and used a garden hose and pumped the water into the greenhouse instead of carrying it. Works fine as it is, but do I want to spend the extra money to do it over. If I had asked for a pump to force water into the greenhouse, that is what he would have sold me. I was retaught a couple very important things. Use your preps before you need them and while you can still learn how to use them , can get the bugs out, and have easy access to any corrections you have to make. The more important lesson is how many "wrong" questions have I asked in making my preps and what other right answer, wrong question problems are there waiting to be found .
    CATO, Tracy, Dunerunner and 12 others like this.
  2. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey

As we know, knowing what to ask is sometimes hard. As much as I love the generator that I purchased 4 years ago, if I knew better at the time I would have asked about the types of connections. [It has the traditional 3 prong USA connections.] If I purchase a generator in 2016 or 2017, I will make sure that it has a NEMA L14-30 (see Amazon.com : Socket, NEMA L14-30 30 Amp, 125/250V Twist Lock : Patio, Lawn & Garden
    for an image if you like).
    This I will eventually use to connect to the house via a transfer switch. So, we all learn from our mistakes, but if you can learn from someone else's mistake it's usually cheaper!
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2015
    duane, Tracy and kellory like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Monkey

Research, Research, Research... And, learning from others mistakes. Thanks for the lesson! [winkthumb]
    Tracy likes this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

One of the best question I know, is "this is what I have in mind, what do you recommend?"
    duane likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary