At what distance do you stop being a threat?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by M118LR, Jun 9, 2017.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Deer don't shoot .
    normally
    And in a survival situation, those whom wish to take you stuff arn't likely to be standing in the open, (if they have any gorilla warfare abilities) but inside the tree line just out of view,using what they know will reach your BOL
    Remember that there are those that view all this valued information, are not necessarily upright individuals .
    I have met people personally that fully intend to raid as a method of survival. And they are skilled marksmen .

Tully Mars, M118LR and 3M-TA3 like this.
  2. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

I remember driving along the Gulf Coast westward, about the time you cross the state line from FL to AL, there used to be a billboard saying "You are now IN RANGE of the USS Alabama's guns"

Tully Mars, M118LR and 3M-TA3 like this.
  3. shaman

shaman Monkey++

I agree, deer don't shoot. (Thank goodness!) However a lot of guys don't do much else-- maybe a little plinking here and there. My point is only that even with a scoped rifle, there aren't going to be all that many people that will be a threat at a distance. Yes, there are trained ex-snipers out there. Yes, there are guys who are going to have advanced weapons skills and can us away from concealment at 2 KM. However, your normal Joe Homeowner coming out of his house in fuzzy slippers will probably be unable to hit squat at 200 yards.

As to the guys coming to my BOL, I have no illusions about being able to defend myself against serious killers intent on doing me harm. However, they're going to have to run a 10 mile gauntlet of serious hillbilly trailer trash to get to me. I'm hoping the ensuing gunfire gives me a chance to put down the shovel and retire to my redoubt.

Tully Mars and M118LR like this.
  4. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

• I would have hoped that you picked up on the casual information provided over these many pages to open your branch for monkey instruction. But yes, there are some of US that can contact Y'all Long Distance. But I believe it would be a mistake to think that your unpublished number isn't accessible. Poor prior planning on Y'all's part ain't going to be problematic as I cut a swath to the sea shore. Wishing & hoping ain't as effective as repetitions on the range. Underestimating your adversary is one of the fastest ways to earn a second place trophy. JMHO.

5. shaman

shaman Monkey++

I'm really not sure where you're coming from. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point.

Nobody is safe from a determined skilled sniper. That's the whole point of sniping. If you're scared of being picked off, there isn't much you can do outside of hunkering down. Agriculture is out, unless you're mushroom farming in a cave. Most of us figure, and rightly so, that trained snipers are not going to be picking us off while we're tending our tomato patch.

I don't know where you are, but unless you have me specifically targeted, chances are you aren't going to want to visit me on the way to coast. I live on a road that doesn't go anywhere. It used to, but the town it went to disappeared off the map before 1900. In most cases, you have to know what you're looking at to even know there was a road there. The county road ends at my house.

I once had a psychologist buddy explain that paranoia is closely linked with megalomania. In order for someone to think they're being persecuted, they first have to feel that they're important enough to be persecuted. Turning that thinking on its head, the best way to feel free of persecution is to rid yourself of everything that makes you unique. Were you to come down my road, my guess is you'd stop and turn around where the school bus does, about 300 yards up the road at my dairy barn. All the locals do. Most others do to. It's pretty clear that there's nothing more to see.

Having missed all the cues, you would probably come down and turn around in my curtilage, which is a series of several dilapidated sheds and an equally around a circular drive on the side of my dilapidated house. Less than a dozen vehicles do so a week. One or two of them know me. One or two are people looking for land. The rest are just plain lost and are happy to get out of there as soon as possible.

To get to me, you'd have to pass miles and miles of rolling countryside with everything from single-wides all the way to expensive horse farms. People along those roads show their levels of wealth. A mile of freshly-painted double horse paddock is usually a tip that there's something worth having past the gate. A Ford F150 bench seat on a front porch usually means there's not going to be much inside beyond a face full of 00 Buck. My front porch sports an overturned packing crate for when company comes. If you look my county up, you'll find we're what the statisticians call "Rural Empty Nesters." We eat corn flakes. We watch the Miss America Pagent. We drive Chevys. We make do with what comes from Social Security. If you're looking for a house to invade and people to shoot, you'll probably head towards the horse farms south of Cynthiana and bypass us entirely.

GrayGhost, Yard Dart and Tully Mars like this.
  6. M118LR

Post #1.

If you believe that all you can do to defend yourself is hunker down, you have missed all the clues or skipped allot of them?
    Perhaps it's my failure from behind a keyboard, why folks aren't understanding the points and can't understand where I'm coming from. It could just be like those old metaphoric proverbs. the definition of you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Heheheh. Well, you can lead him to water, but first you have to convince him it IS water and not horse piss in a pond.

In other words, if you throw pearls of wisdom in the pond and no one can see them for the muck, how can you expect to have your superior knowledge and talents appreciated?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    M118LR likes this.
  8. M118LR

Every skill is built by those that have been trained by others. If you never pull back the veil to revile the "Tricks of the Trade", you will never find out just who will have talents and gain superior knowledge through hands on experience. If nothing else, those interested can sift through the muck and find a few pearls. What's the most efficient yardage to zero a Mil-dot scope at when using the common .308 Win? Is it more efficient to use use a 100 yard or 250 yard zero for your iron sighted .308 Win hunting rifle? What are the standards for common Military Riflemen? etc... etc... Those that haven't had the veil pulled, have yet to find what hidden talents they possess. Isn't there another proverb that say's: Those that no longer can, teach? ????

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I taught. One thing I learned was not to ask rhetorical questions. Nor do I accept useless challenges. You can have the last word, I'm done.

M118LR likes this.
  10. shaman

shaman Monkey++

I guess my big wonder is why do I need to know this?

I'm sitting out here, drinking my coffee. I can see 4 counties from my front porch. Well, actually one I need to go to the end of the porch and peer around, but you get my idea.

I've got the parking lot of an abandoned hillbilly bar over on the next ridge at 1KM. I've got the foundation of burned out barn at 2 KM and a cemetery at 3 KM. None of that bothers me. Why? I've got tree lines at 100, 200 yards and so on out to the horizon. I don't have to worry about snipers at 1 KM, because a deer hunter with his '06 sighted in 2 inches high at 100 yards could pick me off at 250 yards just by putting his sights on my chest. Mil-dots are not necessary in this situation.

What would I do if I started taking incoming fire? I'd pick up the phone and call the sheriff. The dispatcher knows me. I'd tell them the approximate location and in a short while there would be deputies and KY State Police swarming all over the surrounding ridges. Meanwhile, I'd go to the back of the house to finish my coffee.

We had something like this happen about 10 years ago. At sunrise on the RIfle Opener, somebody opened up with a full-auto AK-47 and ran out a 30 round magazine. The CO showed up at the house around 1000 and asked my son if he'd heard it. Moose told him yes, and pointed in the direction. The CO with one assistant did this up and down our road and had the perp in custody within the hour.

However, we all like to fantasize about SHTF. Let's say there's no 911 service and there is a sharp shooting cannibal about. I'm drinking my morning coffee and a round comes pinging off the wall of the redoubt. Do I worry? Not particularly. See this stuff works both ways. Everyone in the family owns a 30-06 and everyone has a mini-BOB with 3 days rations and a 4X6 sheet of die-cut camo. Everyone has their favorite hides and everyone knows the ranges back to the farmhouse and to the adjoining hides. KYHillChick dreams about this kind of stuff. What's more, I've got neighbors. Most of them are related to KYHillChick in one way or the other. Most of them would relish the chance for some good fun, and whoever's shooting better not try going inside, because it's booby trapped.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

M118LR likes this.
  11. M118LR

I guess my big wonder is why do I need to know this?

"Charlie didn't get much USO. He was dug in too deep or moving too fast. His idea of great R&R was cold rice and a little rat meat. He had only two ways home: death, or victory."

When folks run out of water etc.... there is no such thing as refugies.

Sorry you have decided to pack it in ghrit, I've always appreciated your insight. JMHO.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  12. shaman

shaman Monkey++

Why did I make that post?

I guess it comes down to the question of why a guy like me needs to know how to prepare for being picked off at long distances.

Generalizing the point: Given that most people in the general AO have neither the experience nor the inclination to hit anything past 200 yards, how much effort should a monkey put into protecting against LD sharpshooters?

M118LR likes this.
  13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

You obviously do not know the deer hunters I know.

M118LR likes this.
  14. shaman

shaman Monkey++

As I said in an earlier post, between the folks I've met locally, and the questions I had to answer while I was the firearms guru for a deer hunting mag, I'm not impressed with the overall knowlege of your average Joe Deerhunter. A good reason for it is that you really don't need to know a lot about external ballistics in order to kill a whitetail. The average deer is shot inside of 80 yards. A lot of guys sight in at 25 yards or 100 yards and think they're good to go. Truth is, as long as they stay within certain bounds, they are.

I don't mean to say all deer hunters are like that. I'm just saying there is a lot of that sort of thing out there.

Example: A guy told me how he'd taken a deer at 300 yards in a certain pasture near the farm. What's more, he'd done it with a 30-30 and just held over the deer's back to close the deal. That number seemed awfully long. I went on Google Earth and the pasture in question was less than 150 yards.

Example 2: There was a thread on a deer hunting forum regarding where to sight in. Of the respondants, half said they either
    a) sighted in at 12 or 25 yards and were good to go.
    b) sighted dead-on at 100 yards and were good to go.

A very few sighted in at dead-on at 200 yards or beyond.
    A very small minority of people could understand PBR or explain why 2 inches high at 100 yards was a good idea.

Example 3: Opinions on 300 Win Mag for whitetail are all over the place, and the reasoning goes from the sublime to the absurd. I've had guys tell me they had to give up on 300 WIN MAG, because the bullets were so fast, they weren't opening up in time to do damage to the deer. Another one I've heard is that after xxx yards, the 300 WIN MAG starts to gain velocity. I once saw a deer bifucated just behind the rib cage with a 300 WIN MAG. The hunter said that's where he shot, because the deer was so far out, he decided to aim high in case the bullet dropped. The deer was standing a good 75 yards out.

Now, if you think about it, why would these people be any better at long distance shooting than deer hunting? Yes there is a hell of a lot of good hardware out there, but how much of it is properly adjusted?

15. M118LR

paducah-kentucky.

Ran with allot of Old Boy's between Possum Trot & Monkey's Eyebrow that could handle a bang stick. Even meet a flat lander from Peotone that was shooting aspirins with a 22 LR at 100 yards.

The question was at what distance do you stop being a threat.

Sounds like you have prepared well. JMHO.

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

This is the case of "There are "Hunters", and there are "RifleMen", out in this world..." Hunters usually can't tell distance farther than they can actually see..... and when they GUESS, they are usually within an Order of Magnitude of being right... Now RifleMen on the other hand, have spent some time, learning the Craft, and learning to judge Distance, correctly.... They also can, by having the distance correct, or nearly correct, do the mental Math, to figure the impact point, of the projectile, of the Rifle they are using, because they know their Weapon, and it's capabilities... There are a whole lot more "Hunters" than their are "RifleMen"... out in the world, and which type are you likely going to run into, and which type will want to do you Harm....

M118LR likes this.
  17. M118LR

Might I just modify your quote BT. You can run into many that have hunted, but the odds of running into a second rifleman are much lower. Learn/Teach yourself to survive that first rifleman encounter and we can have a Monkey Rendezvous at a predetermined location when those Trained as Snipers can pass along the finer points of Marksmanship. JMHO.
    NEVER GIVE UP!

18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

That's a good point , practicing the art of judging distance accurately is valuable.
    My son and I practiced that every time we went for a walk or hike . pedometers help and range finders are good reference tools.

M118LR and Tully Mars like this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. Bandit99
  4. Motomom34
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Bishop
  7. DKR
  8. DKR
  9. DKR
  10. Bishop
    Here is a song can you relate to it. [MEDIA]