At what distance do you stop being a threat?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by M118LR, Jun 9, 2017.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Slide rules and notes, naturally, but you can interpolate from tables. In @M118LR 's example 5 mildots = 6' @400 yards. The geometric ratio between mildots and distance is linear, so if the distance is multiplied by 5 then the mildots are divided by 5, giving you one mildot.

Dunerunner, M118LR and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

If you're shooting long distance (say beyond 300 meters) I would recommend one. It is solidly made, a tough plastic with a slide sheet insert which can be reversed (yards/meters). You can use it as an angle gauge by affixing your own weight and string for those encounters you are shooting down from a sniping position. You can use it with the simple instructions it comes with or by watching a few YouTube videos on it if you require. No batteries are required. ;)

DSC00116.JPG

Dunerunner, Yard Dart, duane and 3 others like this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Interesting - I'd assumed it was a smartphone app...

Bandit99, M118LR and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

This isn't a math quiz, but how many average Americans can figure out what the simple 5 foot 10 inch target is that 3M-TA3 provided on the AUTO RANGE FUNCTION of the ACSS reticle. PS: BZ 3M-TA3. Later we can get to the MSR Reticle on the Steiner's & S&W's. But if we jump the basics, we shall leave the herd. The object is to go slowly and spoon feed those that haven't spent a lifetime doing this. JMHO.

Now we have had a request for more info on the MILDOT MASTER, but I'm to slow so others have shared, Thank You.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  5. duane

duane Monkey+++

Beautiful thing about a mil, it is a section of a circle, so as long as you use the same measurement for elevation and distance, it will work with yards, meters, cubits, etc. Take your pick, read the theory, get confused as h***, spit down wind and use it as it always works and I really don't care what the math is.

Thank you for the post and the picture, a long range shot around here is 100 yards, most hunting shots are 50 yards or less. A lot of food for thought in that picture and the little chart attached to it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  6. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

M118LR, to answer your windage question I'd need to look around more...how far does the wall extend, what kind of windbreak do the trees provide, etc...to make an educated call. Can't just go by what is in the immediate vicinity. ;)

M118LR likes this.
  7. M118LR

So as every shooter knows, elevation is the easiest part of the ballistic equation. Haven't heard much about what the wind conditions, (or terms related to them) from the 400 yard snapshot.

8. M118LR

How much dust is being raised on the dirt road? And how do you determine wind speed and direction from dust? Mirage is dependent on using the same power scope every time, dust drift has known qualities. This isn't a test, only inspiring questions techsar. This entire scenario is to be played with nothing more technological than the scope on your rifle. (In the end, it's all you can be assured will be functional. JMHO.)

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Keep going, guys, your getting closer!

M118LR and sec_monkey like this.
  10. M118LR

Oh we haven't got to that little black book in the side pocket on my butt stock yet Ura-Ki. Perhaps it might hold information of real relevance 700 5R. .

Dunerunner, Bandit99 and sec_monkey like this.
  11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Assuming a 7.62X51 @400 yards, what's the actual hold? what's the wind correction?
    .300 win mag?
    .338 L.M?

Note, all three have a very different correction factor!

sec_monkey and M118LR like this.
  12. M118LR

In these wind conditions, dead on for my 400 yard Zero off the come up page, all the above. 2k for the .338 or 50 BMG we can discuss in if a 201 class is needed. JFYI 2k with 300 Win Mag & 7.62 NATO isn't worth conversing about. More than my opinion. mac50TAC1.
    So is it okay if we get back to the original simple Simon objective for other folks?

13. M118LR

So as silence prevails, are the folks in the snapshot a serious threat to those of us behind the scope?
    But that wasn't the question asked at the onset, was it?
    But what do you see in your glass?

Please allow a time frame for us Old Folks to nap.

Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Tango's weapons are not up and ready, and they are not alert and looking, so it's a yes and a no!
    They are still with in their weapons range, and it they get alerted you better be ready to take the shots!

sec_monkey and M118LR like this.
  15. M118LR

Drag me back from the dead will you!
    J.C Never Sleeps. Not until GOD arrives on the scene.
    Now that's a little on the Sailors Lexicon Side, so I'll give you my time off watch to digest it Ura-Ki. (Tee He, Tee He) LOL

So you want to give the kindergartners an explanation of what it means to depend on the man above? (usually it's just a SNIPER on a rooftop.) But they still hear a soldiers prayers to get "Home to the one's they love" Just My Experience. Nay say me at any time.................

16. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Dependent on what you have for fire support.... maybe you are a platoon sniper. In that case, you set up a hasty ambush on their path of travel and use overwhelming firepower as a team.

If you are just a two man team, they have not seen you yet. What is your mission, snoop and poop or taking down targets of opportunity. If you are on recon, you report your observations and slip away.... or loiter and observe. Maybe call in a Predator to whack them and maintain your position without notice. Is this a high value target...what is the game. Lots of unknowns.......

17. M118LR

I just grabbed some tin's of soda crackers and peanut butter along with my ration of ammunition and a National Match M-14 on my way out to the jungle. It's just me and only me against everything the Jungle can dish out. But all the high tech $H!T ain't stopped me yet, so come dig me out of the mangroves. Got allot of rice feed folks that are thumbing thier noses at you somewhere around here. LOL.

Yard Dart likes this.
  18. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Friggin LURP's.... always gets the freshest soda crackers. [beer]

M118LR and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

No worries with the big guy above, I got it covered at 120 knots and 500 feet AGL with the M-21, just have to figure the reverse angle lead, and let er rip tater chip! You ground pounders can keep that nasty chit!

duane, Yard Dart and M118LR like this.
  20. M118LR

Laughed so hard it ain't worthy of a LOL.
    I'll share my crackers with Y'all if you care to come along....... But Y'all need to be able to shoot straight, swimming is a +. LOL

Yard Dart likes this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. Bandit99
  4. Motomom34
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Bishop
  7. DKR
  8. DKR
  9. DKR
  10. Bishop
    Here is a song can you relate to it. [MEDIA]