At what distance do you stop being a threat?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by M118LR, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I just mentioned the thought of getting a scope to a friend and I was advised to use my iron sights. Know them, learn and perfect then get a scope. (Many) Scopes have batteries and are electronic they can fail like all electronics.

But I am not sure that is what the OP is looking for. @M118LR where did you run off to?

2. duane

duane Monkey+++

The facts and opinions expressed in this thread are proof of the reason the forum should exist. While it may wander around a bit, I have received a lot of good advise and have been introduced to several new tools that I am going to have to look into. The fact that different members have differing views and are willing to explain why they espouse a particular scope, tool, etc, only makes it more interesting.

3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

That is a great piece of advice your friend gave you Motomom34, Learn the Irons firstly, and you will always have those skills. Plus, what you learn with the irons translates over to using optics making your learning curve a bit easier because you all ready understand the fundamentals of ballistics.
    Most optics that use batteries will still function when the battery fails, they just won't have the features driven by a battery, with the noted exception of DOT type or Holographic sights, and that is where a set of back up Irons really save your bacon!

sec_monkey, Motomom34, M118LR and 3 others like this.
  4. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

The advice to learn irons is good, and I'll back anyone that says the same. So far as scopes go, they have a real place in the tool box, but what happens on (as you note) a failure, electronic or otherwise? Looks like good ol' m118lr lost interest with this thread after the deviations began. It IS difficult herding cats. (His focus is on scopes, and is trying to teach us how to use them, regardless of the available sight ranges we have in our AOs. I'll pay attention, but spending on a scope and rifle that will reach out over a few hundred (yards or meters, your choice) is not going to happen chez moi.)

M118LR and 3M-TA3 like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Here is a tool I cannot live with out, A M-2 Ballistic compass! This will take all the guessing out, and combined with your rifles ballistic chart, you don't need any other equipment. forget the Ballistic calculator apps, and wind meters and such, learn these skills "Old School" and you cannot be stopped!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sec_monkey, 3M-TA3, M118LR and 2 others like this.
  6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Ura-Ki Not to get off topic more than we already have, but map reading is a real skill that seldom taught and seldom learn to the degree it should be especially now with the GPS. Personally, I never go into the wilds without a plain old compass...not sure where my M2 has walk off to as it seems it grew legs and walked away - again!

Anyway, here's hoping @M118LR rejoins us soon as seems he left us on the Ho Chi Minh trail and I need to get home by supper! :)

M118LR, Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Sorry Bandit99, but you are missing a very important piece of information here, that M-2 Compass has every thing to do with shooting, set it atop your scope turret and read what it is telling you, then turn it on it's side and read again and take note of the readings and with your rifles chart to adjust your shooting solution! Remember what that compass was originally intended for? Long Range Ballistics!

sec_monkey, 3M-TA3, Motomom34 and 4 others like this.
  8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I need to know more about that ^^^^^^^.

9. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

"Very High Power", the .50 cal shooters mag did an article on scopes and they had a serious discussion about whether to print it or not. Too many "high end" (meaning ruinously expensive) scopes were failing on the first shot and some cheap scopes actually lasted several shots! How do you tell your advertisers that their $2500-$4000 scopes failed after ONE round while a cheap Weaver (and several other cheapo brand scopes) actually lasted much longer? In fact a Weaver was one of the shooters' "go to scope" to make sure of accuracy when test firing a .50 Caliber rifle! Not only did it not break, it was accurate and if there was a problem, it was the rifle, not the scope. The Nighthawk scope actually broke in two after one round, and it was not a cheap model either!

3M-TA3, M118LR and Dunerunner like this.
  10. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I am good to 400 yards. dead on at 200 an under.

Oltymer and M118LR like this.
  11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

This compass was originally intended for field arty, you would set it atop or along side the guns sighting system to correctly and accurately align the tube with your given map call outs, this allowed you to also fire in direct fire mode such as fighting tanks or troupes. A rifleman uses this the same way, as it allows you to obtain very accurate information, Angle will give you the correct hold for up hill or down hill shots, and it also gives the exact angle holds for correction for the earths curvature and spin! The advantages are that it's one simple tool that can be used for many different purposes, and it doesn't require a battery, doesn't require any input from outside sources, and is repeatable no matter what, and in what weather!

sec_monkey, Legion489, 3M-TA3 and 3 others like this.
  12. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

You are absolutely correct...I just never thought of it before now, before you said so. I love this forum. EDIT: Now I have got mine out and am playing around with it. :)

13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I'm thinking we might dove tail another thread! Setting up a rifle and learning to use the tools we have to learn accurate shooting at any range!

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have been reading this tread since the beginning, and adsorbing the information.... My "Reach out and Touch something" Weapon is My AR10 w 24" Stainless Bull Barrel, was intended from the GetGo, and specifically designed for this exact purpose, including the Optics... It has a Burris Eliminator III 4-16X 50mm mounted, and manually sighted in at 100Yds. The Electronics, built intro the Optics include a 1200Yd Laser RangeFinder, as well as a Projectile Drop Compensating Computer, integrated with the RangeFinder. Once the Original Setup is done, @100Yds, then I programmed the PDCC, with the Ballistic Coefficient of the Projectile in use, and the Optics does the rest of the calculations, not accounting for Wind... My 1000 Yd Range is from the Front of the Cabin, across the Inlet, and Ranges out to be 998 Yds. Once everything is set, I found that I could Hit the 18" Gong, about 50% of the time, on a calm Day... with Hand-loaded Ammunition using my High Accuracy loading, designed for that Barrel, and Weapon. If the Battery that runs the Optics dies, the Optics still sees, but the Rangefinder, quits, and the PDCC doesn't function. I can then always revert back to the MIL-Dot Reticule, and compute the effective Drop, manually.... Change the Projectile, and just reload the new Ballistic Coefficient, and enter the "Fudge Factor" for it"s Drop, for the New Loading... So far I have worked up Three Sets of Ammunition for the weapon, and each Loading/Fudge Factor, for each Projectile, has proven that it is a solid Performer....

sec_monkey, Oltymer, 3M-TA3 and 5 others like this.
  15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

That Burris Eliminator is a pretty sweet piece of kit, I have looked at them a time or three, and the only thing holding me back is the weight and the funky set up for the range hold/lock button, I would prefer that be integrated into the optic body, or hard wired to a few places on the rifle! I do like that it can be set for many different loads and chamberings, and also wish you could switch settings faster and with greater ease! Still, a nice and very handy tool to have, and they seem to hold up to recoil very well!

sec_monkey, BTPost and M118LR like this.
  16. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

See also
    One Rifle | Page 6 | Survival Monkey Forums
    There's some slop over with longer range shooting in that thread that seems to want a bit more detail.

M118LR and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

For those living around east Washington and North Idaho.. I have not trained at this site, however, I am considering as to if this would be an economically feasible option for an old man.

Bull Hill Training Ranch

sec_monkey and M118LR like this.
  18. duane

duane Monkey+++

Personal preference is that for out to about 100 + yards I have found nothing better the Apple Seed program, beyond that range I have found nothing to equal it, but have had some suggestions made in this thread that I will follow up. Apple Seed program has a downloadable pdf that is well worth reading and having a hard copy available to train others if the SHTF. Emphasis is on teaching the basics with the least amount of time, space, and ammo.

19. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I've watched all of these videos and they are no doubt some of the very best available for free online. Rex is actually doing a seminar currently, I would love to attend one of his courses even though it looks like I won't be able to. There's more available to his website for those who may be interested: Rex Reviews

Dont, M118LR, Ura-Ki and 1 other person like this.
  20. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Sorry for the delay, life with the Grand children does happen.

Noticed allot of scope discussion, so perhaps it's time to discuss what makes for inaccuracy.

Now the deep rural folks are going to be relying on how accurately the can eyeball the Target's size. The Mil-Dot Master even has averages for most big game animals to assist in ranging. But Urban Folks have all forms of predetermined devices for more accurate ranging. Link: Signs Set
    Every doorway,window, street sign, license plate, etc.... allows you to more accurately range known sized objects.
    ie, What happens to our estimate if the Target in the cross-hairs is actually 6 foot 6 or 5 foot 6 instead of the 6 foot assumed?

MOA: 1 MOA spreads about 1" per 100 yards. (actually 1.047"). So a rifle ammunition combo that is MOA at 800 yards has a 8.376 grouping. So you can theoretically take the 10 shot 100 yard grouping of your rifle ammo combo and determine at what distance you will no longer be able to maintain a 10 inch group. (in actual practice you will not be able to attain theoretical max distance.) So even if you are the most perfect shooter in the world, perform all the correct calculations, the odds of obtaining a center of mass hit with a +10 inch group is exceptionally low. Thus you can determine at what distance you no longer are a threat. The Old Military Standard for General Issue Rifles and Ammunition combo's was 3.5 MOA. (thus Big Green downsizing to the 300 course of fire)
    Yes there are precision rifles specifically created to hold sub 0.5 or less MOA with a particular loading for a certain amount of throat erosion/barrel wear, but the price of scopes with repeatable micrometer tracking and Ultra Clear Glass, will not exceed the cost of such precision rifles.

Time to field a few viewpoints.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    sec_monkey, Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. Bandit99
  4. Motomom34
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Bishop
  7. DKR
  8. DKR
  9. DKR
  10. Bishop
    Here is a song can you relate to it. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Jun 15, 2018, 1 replies, in forum: General Discussion