At what distance do you stop being a threat?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by M118LR, Jun 9, 2017.

1. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

premier-gen-2-xr-genii-gen-ii-xr-scope-reticle.
    As have already been depicted, there are many specialty reticles with quick reference ranging brackets. While extremely useful, they are not designed for precision ranging. But the basic Mil-Dot & Klein type reticles have a very limited amount of hold-over so reticles that allowed for more hold-over came along. ie P4 Schmidt & Bender - Riflescopes - Reticles - Police and Military Forces

Many of these started to incorporate indicators for known cross wind like the GEN II XR.

gen2xrop.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Dunerunner likes this.
  2. M118LR

Dunerunner and Brokor like this.
  3. M118LR

Motomom34, AD1 and Brokor like this.
  4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Oh, I wish. S&B still saving...

M118LR likes this.
  5. M118LR

It may sound sacrilegious, But I've found that the Steiner 5-25 has just as sharp/clear a glass and it doesn't tunnel at the lower magnifications like the S&B. At about 2.7K you may be able to save up a little faster. But S&B is still S&B.

Perhaps I should drop a few names along a sliding price point as to scopes I've found of value equal to their price?
    In the lowest price point arena, I've got a couple of spare Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40's incase the Leupold MK4 LR/T's go Belly Up. Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical Rifle Scope 10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments
    WEAVER's Tactical 3-15's (800382 & 800363) can still be purchased for far less than their MSRP's. The glass quality is better than the current price point and they are FFP's, I've had no problems with tracking or repeatably. (not quite as tight as upper echelon) But I must forewarn that the Adj Turrets are unique in that they self lock and must be raised to make adjustments. (I've grown accustomed to this quirk, as the knobs are of a different feel than S&B-Steiner-Premier etc.)Weaver - Tactical Weapons
    Of course the Leupold MK4 LR/T is the STANDARD BEARER in the fixed 10X line. While the S&B has clearer/sharper glass, it's cost outweighs what I want to pay for a fixed 10X. Leupold Optics Mark 4 LR/T 10x40mm -
    In the 2.7 K bracket I've yet to find anything I prefer over the Steiners. But to my eye, the cross-hairs on the 3-15 are a bit thicker than they are on the 5-25. Military Scopes
    Of course, when price no longer matters, I've got a few S&B's Mounted Up. It would be great if everyone got a chance to have an S&B all thier own, but I'm of the opinion that the optic shouldn't cost more than the firearm. So if the rifle won't outperform the scope, keep it frugal. JMHO.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Ura-Ki and M118LR like this.
  7. Brokor

I absolutely agree. The quality of view from a top notch scope is remarkably different than your average variety scope, and I've only sampled whereas you're an actual owner. Folks who own S&B and Steiners are dedicated to the craft or just wealthy, but either way, in this particular genre of product quality really does matter the most. There are tons of glass out there with pretty much the same manufacturers, and many companies who manufacture scopes will buy from the same facilities and the same lot and the only differences will be cosmetic branding and internal mechanical components. But, with some top shelf brands, they may have their own unique method of polishing and internals which refract and also seal the deal on the mechanical end, making them a "full package" --and these things aren't cheap to produce at all. Now, I'm not educated enough to say if it's wholly because of these things that makes the cost of top end scopes so expensive, because reputation and name branding does carry a certain privilege, but from what I've learned on my own and gathered from others is it's better to save for the good stuff rather than spend a smaller chunk repeatedly on low quality scopes.
    To an extent I have to agree, but this is only an opinion. We are each welcome to hold opinions, and I suppose that's a safe method for most cases. I just want to mention that there's no absolute match in pricing between a firearm and scopes in general, as the two are entirely independent. Aside from bargain pricing and such, the general cost of a good quality firearm, let's say medium to long range rifle to narrow this down, is going to fall between $800 and $1500 as a ballpark figure. This would be the price of a rifle without serious modifications and would eliminate most custom work, and as far as I know, all custom rifles. I'm sure we can agree you can get a pretty decent scope for $1000 to $1500 without jeopardizing this idea of not having a scope cost more than a firearm. This is a very good idea or policy in general not just because of the pricing, but because the next "level" really jumps up from this price range on both ends. What would be the point of placing a $3000 scope on a $1000 (or less) rifle with no custom bedding (assuming one does not do it themselves), trigger modification, or lapping? There's more people can do to increase effectiveness for accuracy than just buy an expensive scope, right? So, your idea really does carry significant merit, even if it's just your opinion.

All that being said, there are more and more quality rifles being manufactured lately that I see which are within the average price bracket (or closely rivals it) that can already perform really well out of the box. So, we do have some wiggle room to argue the price idea we're discussing, it's just something I wanted to note. One just has to know what to look for.

Another good company for scopes is Vortex. I have one of their higher end Viper HS-T models on the way to me now, and from what I have gathered, it ought to perform really well and not break the bank.

Ura-Ki and M118LR like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I like having iron sights as well as scopes ,as much as possible .
    In the event the scope is damaged , being able to remove the scope and rely on the iron is a sensible back up.
    I've seen rifles with no iron sights ,and wondered how delicately one must travel to ensure the investment is not compromised.

Ura-Ki, Motomom34 and M118LR like this.
  9. M118LR

There appears to be a $50 difference between the Second Focal Plane Vortex HST and the First Focal Plane Weaver at MIDWAY.
    Variable Power | Centerfire Rifle Scopes | Rifle Scopes
    On a 1K -1.5K off the rack the rifle, I'd take the FFP Variable Magnification Weaver. Sightron has fantastic innards, but very limited FFP Variable Scopes. Perhaps I'd elect the 10X Leupold as a perfect fit in this price range.
    But yes, we can agree that there are many serviceable scopes in the 1K- 1.8K MSRP range, (even if they can be had below MSRP with frugal shopping)
    Now a Second Focal Plane Reticle is the Cat's Meow on fixed magnification scopes, but it's going to take some serious glass quality to make me part with my Republic Credits on a Second Focal Plane Variable Power Scope. (Yes, I'm Spoiled. What I can use and what I choose to use are no longer dictated by the GI Supply System. But then again, the GI Supply System doled out rifles I couldn't afford equipped with Scopes equally valued, when I RXed only a Government Paycheck that couldn't net me either.) Please don't read me wrong, I'm not bashing Vortex! I'm just expending my Republic Credits in a manner I consider most cost effective.
    There are High Quality Second Focal Plane fixed power scopes that are well worth the money spent on them, to squander that hard earned cash as a trade-off for Variable power, (just reflect that only one magnification setting is actually calibrated) isn't something that I'm willing to accept. JMHO.
    Now me being me, I 'd probably mount a 10X Bushnell 3200 Elite with greater MOA Range (than the Vortex) with a 20 MOA Badger Base and Badger USMC Rings. But I'd be foregoing the Quasi Variable Power at half the cost. (yes, compromise is, will be, and has always been problematic.) But as only one magnification setting is calibrated for use, I feel that money is better spent getting a higher quality second focal plane fixed scope for the same price. Once again, JMHO.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. M118LR

BUIS isn't a requirement on the one-way range. It is suggested while hunting Dangerous Game. I'd consider it MANDATORY ON THE TWO WAY RANGE.

3M-TA3, Ura-Ki and Yard Dart like this.
  11. Brokor

NO, that seems logical if you're that kind of shooter. I would suggest giving a Vortex (premium) scope a chance before signing them off. I did a bit of research on them and even though I don't own one at this moment as it's in the mail currently, I am 100% satisfied already because of the lifetime, no hassle unconditional warranty I know the company provides. Check out the features: Vortex Optics - Viper HST 4-16x44 VMR-1<br />(MRAD)

My honest intended use here is out to 1,000 meters, no frills or bragging needed. Anything beyond that range to me is not sensible, nor is it necessary for my philosophy of use.

3M-TA3, Ura-Ki and M118LR like this.
  12. M118LR

It is not a question of manufacturing quality, Vortex holds a great reputation.

It is the second focal plane reticle on a variable power scope that I find disconcerting. All things being at least near equal, I'll elect to purchase a first focal plane reticle on any variable power scope.
    ie, you referenced me to the 4-16, but at which magnitude is the reticle calibrated? 16X? 12X? 10X? etc. Nikon calibrates their 6-18 at 12X, so the only magnification that you can use the scope to accurately range any target is 12X. Now on a 3-15 FFP Reticle, I can accurately range any target at any magnification from 3X to 15X, as conditions dictate. I feel that this capability carries greater weighting while all other things are nearly equal. That's my opinion. Hope I've conveyed this better this time.

I'm sure that Vortex makes quality products, but they don't offer many products that I lean heavily toward when purchasing.

3M-TA3, Ura-Ki, Brokor and 1 other person like this.
  13. 10brokenpromises

10brokenpromises Monkey++

For full disclosure, I'm writing this reply without having read all 6 pages because I'm a bit tired of the pseudo random questions and faux philosophical clarifications. There seem to be a lot of these threads and or responses that are geared towards self-congratulation and some supposed gracing of deep knowledge.

If I am behind the scope, you are not to know I am there or at least not where "there" is. If I am behind iron sights, maybe a different story. If I'm using a scope, I better be a damned sight off and very well camouflaged or hidden. If I'm using a scope, it's because I don't want to get close enough for you to know I'm there. So again, unless you are using infrared or thermal I'm not there as far as you know, or at least you don't know exactly where I am.

How far out am I a threat depends entirely on the platform, round and the conditions. AR15, AK, .308, .50 BMG, anything (else) in 7.62x54, something in 7.62x39, barrel type, twist. Round weight, round composition, powder load, even round age potentially. Wind speed and direction, temperature, uphill/downhill/flat, open "fields" or woods, humidity, rain/sun/fog/snow.

I have access to multiple platforms and load-outs, and no I'm not going into detail. I'm accurate to a fair distance but no I'm not going into detail. If I put a scope on it and get something in the cross-hairs, I'm not going to pull the trigger unless I'm pretty confident I will hit what I'm aiming at, and if I put a scope on it, it's sure as hell not to go across the street! I don't claim to be an ultra long distance, hyper accuracy, big bore champion, but I'd say if I can see you and the tool will deliver the package, I hit far more often than I miss.

Personally, and by now I've probably pissed you off, I'm one that doesn't consider IS to be a BU (Iron sights/back up). I learned on and grew up using them and am very comfortable using them for their intended purpose. Just as it isn't a "back up scope". Under the vast majority of circumstances, you aren't going to "back up" your optics for the ranges they are intended for with your iron sights, you just aren't. You also aren't going to be using your scope, most likely, for "short" range work.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    3M-TA3, Ura-Ki, BTPost and 1 other person like this.
  14. M118LR

For someone that merely hit's more often than they miss, perhaps we can converse once you actually read the discourse? You probably will never know when you PO an actual 8541 MOS in the field. JMHO.

15. 10brokenpromises

Possibly, possibly not. And I didn't give you a ratio or % of the time. I'm not interested in getting into a pissing contest either. Since I posted I have read the first 3 pages (this is because I got notified of a quote). I may feel different once I finish the 6th page.

3M-TA3, Brokor and Yard Dart like this.
  16. M118LR

Are you quite sure that is your story and you are willing to stick to it?

17. 10brokenpromises

18. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

We all have different resumes and experiences.... and most here are not going to puff out their chest throwing out MOS's, you are making a lot of assumptions about folks....might want to dial it back a bit and just stay on task. ;)

GrayGhost and Brokor like this.
  19. M118LR

Are we reading the same posts?
    I was under the impression that I responded quite mildly to posts 113 & 114.

20. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

You were provoking.....just thought I would remind ya before it went to far down the road....its how I earn my pay around here. ;)

Confidant is okay and enjoyed....a touch of arrogance leaves a bad taste in folks mouth....just say'n. As far as most are concerned here, we don't care about your resume....especially being flashed like a badge.

1. AgentPickle
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. Bandit99
  4. Motomom34
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Bishop
  7. DKR
  8. DKR
  9. DKR
  10. Bishop
    Here is a song can you relate to it. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Jun 15, 2018, 1 replies, in forum: General Discussion