At what distance do you stop being a threat?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by M118LR, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Your impression does not match mine, nor evidently some if not all the staff.

Yup

@M118LR
    We, that means us hoi polloi, have noted that you don't play well with others as you brag in your avatar. Repeating your qualifications and waving your resume like a guidon simply raises doubts of the truth.

Yep, off topic, and I might suggest that a mod get into this thread and reduce the uselessness.

Yard Dart likes this.
  2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Very hard not to comment...

I don't use scopes (like, 10 tens in my life shot a gun with one), and I am finding this all VERY useful information. But, then, I am the target market. Haha.

M118LR likes this.
  3. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Sorry if I wasted Y'all's time. I won't do it again. Carry on.

On the job training has a very harsh pass or fail criteria. As of today I haven't failed, hope Y'all are the ones that pull the last un-expended round from my chamber. Carry it as a memento HOGS TOOTH on Y'all's necklace. Perhaps some folks might need to Google this.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    Ura-Ki likes this.
  4. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Nice pout.

M118LR likes this.
  5. 10brokenpromises

10brokenpromises Monkey++

For my part i apologize for pissing in the punch bowl. Prior to my arrival and subsequent posts, there is and was quite a lot of very useful information and conversation, especially for the novice or neophyte.

Mods, please feel free to strike whatever of mine needs to be stricken from the record, up to and including my entire involvement in this thread. No holds barred.

I will now recuse myself from any further interaction herein.

6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

LOL, we all have an opinion.... no harm...no foul.

3M-TA3, Ura-Ki, M118LR and 1 other person like this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I understand this, not my first rodeo. I didn't say I never owned a scope in my life before, just never owned a Vortex or a S&B. I also didn't say you ought to buy this particular Vortex scope, and not every one of their scopes is SFP; and not every point you make requires you to repeat it seven various ways, either. Lots of people around here are intelligent enough to not be considered completely ignorant, for future reference (not complaining here) --it just comes across as rather "uppity" when a question is asked and your response is rather seemingly obtuse. I certainly understand that this may well not be your intention, and I apologize if I seem abrasive at the moment, but I am not, I only wanted to clarify. From my perspective, I am only trying to further a discussion, not pick brains and actually take on the role of a simple neophyte.
    [winkthumb]

And the scope in question I linked is accurate on max magnification, as with most all Vortex scopes with exception to the 6-24x50, which are accurate on 18x. The scope in question allows quick and easy reticle focusing. SFP isn't necessarily bad, it's just different. Since we're headed strictly into personal preference land, I think it's fair to conclude we can leave this alone now.

Homer Simpson, M118LR and Yard Dart like this.
  8. M118LR

Please don't strike your opinions, I only asked that you read the entirety prior to passing a levy upon my work.
    Should we get into a pissing match after that, I'm sure that those following the thread will nuke up some popcorn and take sides with whoever presents the best argument. My Moniker states that I don't play well with others, don't think for a second that I can't survive the slings and arrows of others. I actually embrace the opinions contrary to mine. There is no better debate than those that have done slicing apart others that have been,to feed the thoughts of those that didn't have the opportunity to figure out what they would do when the time came to be there. JMHO.

3M-TA3, Ura-Ki and Yard Dart like this.
  9. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Seriously, though. I have a lot of new questions to poke at my suppliers because of this thread. Anything else I should know on the hardware end?

Ura-Ki, Motomom34 and M118LR like this.
  10. M118LR

Seriously, if I have offended any others with my opinions. Just preclude this with they are just my opinions. Just remember that I am not here to challenge your opinions, and if I beat around the bush several times to voice my opinions, it's just my way of disagreeing with your opinions. I'm never going to say that you are wrong, I'll just reiterate the ways I"ve proven that have worked for me. YMMV.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This ^^^ I like to read what works for some, what didn't work for others. I am a novice so reading people opinions, successes and failures is info stored. Sometimes in other areas I get tunnel vision and it takes a differing opinion for me to see an area I over looked. Carry on.

3M-TA3, Ura-Ki and M118LR like this.
  12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I've found that's the worst type of information ever. An example would be saying what works for one person will not work for another, and there are always good reasons why. Understanding "why" it didn't work is much harder to uncover, and you are always at the mercy of the story teller for that info unless you get your hands dirty and find out for yourself. I guess a great example to be had would be to peruse any Amazon review or any other site and take a look at the extremely unqualified reviews. We do have the luxury around here at the SM to have a fair amount of qualified information givers who can certainly help narrow the field of choices for many things, but I still adhere to the solid guideline which follows the hands-on approach.

13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You cannot dismiss something because someone does not like it, that is not what I was saying. I like to gather thoughts and opinions, personal experiences and go from there.

14. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Honestly if my view is the one in the OP and you are the Hadji after my opening shot?
    If you press the attack you're the next one to meet the 72 Virginians..
    If you run you will be winded when the shot transports you to the 72 Virginians
    If you are a well disciplined Hadji and remain where you are? You'll be the last of your group to meet the 72 Virginians..

I don't mean to sound like a keyboard commando, I truly don't.
    As a shooter you either have "it" or you don't. I suck at math. But I can figure firing solutions for my rifles in my head pretty quickly. I can judge yardage pretty accurately as well as wind. Again, I don't know why I can, I just do it. Maybe it has something to do with years of shooting at random trees, rocks and Prairie Dogs all the time as a kid. I honestly don't know, other than it is a gift.

At the ranges discussed? That's a chip shot for a shooter. Hell I've taken deer in Colorado in excess of 370 yrds using a Garand with stock sights. Yeah I know deer don't shoot back. In that pic, if you are the one to initiate the action you have all the advantage. The biggest thing that limits me down here is the lack of clear lanes of fire. There isn't anywhere around here that has IMO enough room for me to really work out my larger calibre rifles. I shoot them, but it ain't like back home.

15. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Then the Virginians will finish you off. :lol: (Just teasing ---)

16. M118LR

Sounds like a solid prerequisite before heading out to test theory hands on. Practice is where you hone the skills required for better marksmanship.

Motomom34, Ura-Ki and Tully Mars like this.
  17. M118LR

Since I've bored all the other members, can I count on you to start an educational thread on how to improve ones marksmanship skills 101 level? It can't be that difficult. It is only for the Novice that you type......................

18. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Of course not. You, of all members, know that the basics need hands on. Some things just cannot be book learned. Once certain basics are on board, improvements can be made readily by reference to some written forms, including certain dot mil training manuals. Or, get a copy of Casada. Then comes practice and more practice. BYKT. (Even then a competent coach will be more than a bit useful.)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Yard Dart likes this.
  19. M118LR

It is easy to scream foul, and be a Nay Sayer. Since I have bored you, I only think that it is fitting to challenge you to post a tutorial thread on the simplest of premises, marksmanship 101. I'll probably get a slap on the hand, but you didn't have a problem voicing your opinion when it was others that that put thier dinky under the golf shoes. So if I'm allowed? Times come to put up or ........
    Make it happen O wise one. JMHO. Bet there is a novice or two waiting to hear from you one to one. Once again, JMHO.

20. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Well, we are here, and learning from people willing to talk is the "best thing" when you are bereft of the "real thing".

Motomom34 and M118LR like this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. Bandit99
  4. Motomom34
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Bishop
  7. DKR
  8. DKR
  9. DKR
  10. Bishop
    Here is a song can you relate to it. [MEDIA]