ATAX survival tool

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by CATO, Jun 2, 2012.

Tags:
?

Useful or not

Poll closed Jul 2, 2012.
  1. This thing is awesome....here's my $200.00!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No thanks, I'll take 2500 rounds of .22lr instead

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

oldawg and tulianr like this.
  2. I liked the zombie station better ;)

jack_froste likes this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I wonder if sales will cover costs ---

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

As an AXE it looks like a waste of metal.... unless you lash it to a Branch, to get some leverage.... At that point, it is an Expensive Kludge of an AXE....

5. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Id rather have a skatchet. Especially at that price.

6. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Makes you wonder what constitutes a "survival expert" eh?

This guy (link below) is definitely a bad-a$$ survival expert, and I think the "tool" (read: machete) would be much more useful...but the $200 price tag. Just too much given other alternatives IMO.

Scorpion Knives: John "Lofty" Wiseman Survival Tool

I guess the question is: what is the price-point that you would be willing to pay for a very good survival tool, given the fact that you can buy very good items for ~$50?

7. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

It doesn't have a bottle opener. What a waste!

Yard Dart, Brokor and Seawolf1090 like this.
  8. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

John Lofty Wiseman was one of the first "survival manuals" I ever bought. Still have it. I always envied the SAS/British take on the importance of fieldcraft.

I'm glad to see someone is making a modern version of the tool from the book.
    ETA: I just looked at the price.... HOLY COW! It seems much more useful than the ^ tool, though.

Not the same contour, but the 1' survival machete that Ontario makes (available at most PXs) is one of the best $15 I ever spent.

The other day I was catching up on Les Stroud's beyond survival when I saw a native using one of the cheap Cold Steel Kukri-type knives. I see these things at flea markets for like $10. I tried one, but it was a rolled blade that poorly sharpened compared to other tools I own. Eventually, I got rid of it. With a regrind, they would be great tools for $10- witnessed by the fact that some aboriginal African prefers the thing.... and he is surviving with it. (I think it was the episode about the Zulus, if anyone is curious).

ExHelot and jack_froste like this.
  9. Turtle

Turtle Monkey+

It would be useless to me.Is it a " good " tool ?...Well that depends on your perspective i'm sure it was good for Mr Hood ...he designed it based on how he does things and he most likely received a healthy endorsement fee or royalty.I will save my 200 $ though.

10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I prefer the Crovel that is listed on the web link. That is a much more usefull tool in my book!!

11. ExHelot

ExHelot Monkey

I'd love to have one to test over a weekend. I like the design and concept though they are updates/mods of existing ones. I was seriously thinking about buying just for trying, then...I looked at the price! Hork, cough. Sorry but it just isn't that good. I'd go up to $75.00 and think that's fair. If I had the $$$ resources I'd go to $125.00 just to try it out.
    I guess that in the end an item is worth what one is willing to pay for it, not a nickle more, not a penny less.

12. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I have a machete by Gerber with a back edge saw I'd take over this thing. I have seen the Grovel in action as well. Noisey, not impressed, though there is a Chinese military shovel that was pretty impressive.

ExHelot likes this.
  13. ExHelot

ExHelot Monkey

Tell me about this 'Grovel'...see it on you tube?
    I've also been impressed with the Chicom shovel.

14. kellory

No, on another site that deals with new tech and new products. It had links to youtube, and other competitors. The products get reviewed, then comments, problems found, then sometimes redesigned. Kickstart type projects. The only thing impressive about the Grovel was the ability to throw it (once) as a weapon. I got throwing knives for that. Steel rod about the thickness of the base of my finger and about 12" in length and sharpened to needles on both ends, would do that job quite well, for much less cost, stack smaller, and be usable for other proposes, such as cooking, deadfalls, piviots, pins, awl, hole starter, tie off a boat, planting, wedge a door shut. clear a bore, ect. cut and knotch them to fit together as a figure 4 deadfall trigger, imporvised spear point, ................................Oh wait! The Grovel has a bottle opener! my bad.

ExHelot likes this.
  15. ExHelot

ExHelot Monkey

'Point' well taken!

16. kellory

This is Grovel:They are quite proud of the welded head and the high quality steel. The shaft is hollow, and the end spike is reversible. An optional slingshot attachment can be screwed into the end socket. Used like a hachet, it rings like a bell and bounces alot. Might want to fill the haft with water or sand when chopping to give it some mass. View attachment 10589 View attachment 10590 View attachment 10589 View attachment 10590 View attachment 10591 View attachment 10589 View attachment 10590 View attachment 10591 View attachment 10592 View attachment 10589

17. ExHelot

ExHelot Monkey

18. Doesn't appear practical to me. I'd rather use the $200 for a good knife, a good axe, and a good compass.

ExHelot likes this.
  19. kellory

I would agree completely. actually I find the Chicom folding shovel a much better tool. Exhelot, if you haven't seen it in action, do so. Grovel is a high priced toy in comparison.

20. Turtle

Turtle Monkey+

I just looked at some of the " action shots " of the ATAX ...it does look like a neat little tool...i've never seen or held one in person....i think the problem is the 200 $ price tag...the other problem being that it was specifically designed for Mr.Hood....maybe a little too specifically.I suspect that it started off as him designing a tool for himself and having TOPS build it for him and maybe afterwards they decided to try to sell a few.I'd like to have one...for maybe 50 $ at most...for 200 $ i can buy the ESEE 3 or 5 i want with enough change left over for a couple pairs of cargo pants...or 7 MORA knives.

ExHelot likes this.
  1. chelloveck
  2. SB21
  3. sasquatch91
  4. The_Prepared
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Motomom34
  7. Witch Doctor 01
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
    Resource

Farm Blacksmithing 1921

[ATTACH] [IMG]