ATAX survival tool

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by CATO, Jun 2, 2012.

Tags:
?

Useful or not

Poll closed Jul 2, 2012.
  1. This thing is awesome....here's my $200.00!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No thanks, I'll take 2500 rounds of .22lr instead

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. ExHelot

ExHelot Monkey

KC...I can respect that. I always struggle with the unified multi-use tool or the separate tools. I'ts nice to have everything on hand in one unit but on the other hand if you lose your multi function wondertool your out a bit (?) of money and a number of tools. If you have several different ones I figure that I'd only be missing one item of several and a minimal amount of $$. I do love gadgets though!

Turtle...I saw the Chicom shovel and it looks like something I'd probably like, even just to try out. On the other hand you are correct; $200.00 translates into a lot of supplies, equipment &c.

2. ExHelot

ExHelot Monkey

[quote="The other day I was catching up on Les Stroud's beyond survival when I saw a native using one of the cheap Cold Steel Kukri-type knives. I see these things at flea markets for like $10. I tried one, but it was a rolled blade that poorly sharpened compared to other tools I own. Eventually, I got rid of it. With a regrind, they would be great tools for $10- witnessed by the fact that some aboriginal African prefers the thing.... and he is surviving with it. (I think it was the episode about the Zulus, if anyone is curious).[/quote]

I got a Cold Steel Kukri (not the machette) as a birthday gift some years back. I carried and used it for some time and it is a nice heavy duty muti-use knife. Problem I found was that like many survival tools it does a lot of things acceptably but not really well. I started carrying a Helle 3 3/4" blade and a hawk instead. it turned out to be a little lighter and a lot more efficient.

3. jack_froste

jack_froste Monkey

i find a 4.00 machete from harbor freight is much more affective, and a dremel can make all the fancy ''tools'' included on the blade, couple of cheap belt pockets, small med kit , fire steel, sewing/fishing kit, food bar, compass,glued or sewn to the sheath, total cost 15.00. to 20.00$
    id take the ammo!

4. ExHelot

ExHelot Monkey

It's all about being resourceful!

jack_froste likes this.
  5. jack_froste

jack_froste Monkey

specially when i have no monetary resources! :D

ExHelot likes this.
  6. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

This is a fancy-schmancy yuppified kitchen gadget only Bear Grillthis could love.

Seriously, I'd take a Wal-Mart machete before putting that "thing" in my pack.

atax-survival-tool-jpg.

As far as shovels go, I've used the tri-fold to dig more than one fighting position when I served and I'd rather not do that again.

I "carry" a full size D handle shovel in the truck, along with a pick if I need to do any serious diggin'.

Bag of lime optional. [tongue]

gunbunny, ExHelot and Brokor like this.
  1. chelloveck
  2. SB21
  3. sasquatch91
  4. The_Prepared
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Motomom34
  7. Witch Doctor 01
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
    Resource

Farm Blacksmithing 1921