Atlatls

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Bishop, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Kellory, That's right . I never video my hunts , they are boring . I don't hunt big bucks . I shoot does and small bucks over bait with a crossbow or a rifle. Its silly easy TODAY. I dont have to prove guns kill or modern crossbows kill because thousands of others have already proved that. Im not arguing that I am some great hunter and could care less if you or anyone else believes I have ever killed a deer. This is not about you or me . Its about the f$%^gking weapon and its actual application to survival. You get butt hurt every time I point out facts regarding the effectiveness of these weapons. The truth about them. VERY FEW CAN OR HAVE MASTERED IT. Maybe Bishop has ? Cool but most can not and will not . This is another romantic wet dream and I am done with it . Chellovec baited me and I came in like a stupid deer to a pile of apples. You guys want to live in fantasy land have fun. There are hundreds even more out of touch with reality and I have changed the mindset of hundreds of others who now are stocking ammo and real arrows, real broad heads and no longer playing caveman. When you play on peoples romantic dreams and make these ancient weapons seem like they are viable ?? you are sending many to their death. If you are selling this stuff to the masses you are selling lies to most of them. If we are to teach others survival skills ?? lets teach them stuff that really works for most people.

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

No. You assume concepts not in evidence. I hunt over bait, do not care about antlers (can't eat them ) and does taste better. I'll use any ethical weapon or shot, I do not collect trophies.
    I ain't butt hurt in the slightest, you just keep dismissing it as if it were fantasy. Or never happened, because you weren't there. That's a bit insulting.
    If I had something to prove to someone else, it WOULD be recorded, not the other way around.
    Two young guys wanted to know how primitive we could go, and still get meat. We tested ourselves with selfmade spears, slingshots (store bought ) and bows and arrows we made over the course of a long weekend.
    Spear got one rabbit all day from me.(Lots of misses) bow got (1) 4 point buck from me. (My buddy failed). With the sligshot, I'm deadly, and still use it to this day.
    I ain't butt-hurt, I'm just tired of hearing that part of my past is impossible.
    I've countered your argument several times, and I've even done the PM bit with details.
    I have never said it was the best choice, or my preferred method. I've said it is not only possible, but has been done.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Some lures are utterly irresistible. ;)

It was as much a way of allowing Bishop to follow the robust discussion by yourself and others in the other threads on the topic of atlatls.

There are sometimes circumstances when one may find themselves in a time and a place where they don't have all of the Gucci gun gear, and Armani archery gear. Placing one's preps planning on just having an atlatl, a slingshot and a hand crafted stone knife is not particularly sensible, if the Gucci and Armani gear are readily available and within one's budget. That said, the knowledge and skills necessary to craft such equipment are valuable and worth acquiring, practicing and maintaining.

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  4. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Chel, If a person could not find a real knife in a post shtf world they would be in my opinion a pretty poor scavenger. And Kellory I have never said it could not be done. Not even once. I have just said over and over and over again that only one 7 year old has proved it. Only one small section of one search engine page have proven that they could take animals with these weapons. THE PROOF THAT IS OUT THERE SAYS OTHERWISE . Or lack of proof. I have no doubt that a man can take a stick and stone weapon kill something. However today there are charletons out there selling books and dvds and other media. Even selling their time teaching others that this is the way to go. They are making money off of what I consider to be an elite ROMANTIC SPORT not the best way to survive a disaster . Dont you you see that?? These web sites are full of this crap. Bronze replaced stone, Iron replaced Bronze and then we got to steel. There ARE trillions of tons of steel out there. It wont all rust away before your life ends. Use steel grasshopper. Find the steel and forge it into weapons. KELLORY YOU REALIZE THAT I HOLD YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENT AS ELITE DONT YOU? I just do Not believe anyone can do it. what you did is one a in million . Not a good idea for Joe six pack savvy? If Bishop killed a deer with his Atlatl he has also achieved a one in a million task. BY HIS OWN WORDS however he was lucky. The deer turned into his lance. This variable of luck isnt good enough for me to EVER try and convince another person to waste one minute practicing this craft. Unless it is for fun or sport. I have a hard time seeing how a man could carry more than one lance . With a bow you have a quiver what do carry 7 foot lances in a wagon? Do have to set your other darts down before arming? What is the rate of fire ? I think Bows replaced these weapons because you could carry more projectiles . Hell we do the same thing with rifle ammo. .223 versus 45/70 or even .308. Again the practical aspects of the Atlatl are few. They are between a spear and a bow.

5. kellory

I have seen plenty of natives using spear throwers, and yes, they used large quivers, or hand carried.
    And NO, I did not get that impression from you. Nor have you ever said it that way. As far as I could tell, you were dismissing me as a snake oil salesman.

6. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Go to YouTube look up " what is a Atlatl " that's me throwing the darts I did get lucky on the deer in the picture but I have also taken hogs coon and two other deer that's not been luck shots I only hunt with the Atlatl for about a week in bow season so I can keep my skill up I do hunt with guns also the fact that there's not a lot of video on Atlatl don't mean it's not happening look at kangaroo hunting and you will see a running kangaroo get taken will a womarang that's is a Atlatl and I don't think that any one saying that this is the only thing that we we use it's a skill we choose to prove that when we have to use it we can same as trapping and fishing.

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

We've noticed, and it's about time to stop the repetition, it's detracting from the thread. Please.

kellory likes this.
  8. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Gentlemen, I have not dismissed anyone. Just those trying to sell it to the masses. You are elite . The weapon isn't. Grit, I'm out of this discussion .

9. kellory

@Bishop, you are pretty good with that thing.;) there is a lot of movement to it, but timewise, about the same as a bow from rest position to cast. Deer would be moving, but not very far.

10. kellory

you may also like this....

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  11. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I, Caveman and Matt Graham on Dual Survival both have kill shots taken on camera. I, Caveman, with Morgan Spurlock, has them kill an elk with one dart, if memory serves.

Weapon masters was, almost, a good show. Mike Loades is a cool dude though.

12. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Meant to ask, how long are those bleeding darts, man? Looks like you are throwing a barge pole at em. Haha. I usually stick to around a 4ft myself. Too much effort to find a long one in my AO...And I know how to cheat them out of dowels.

What do you use for practice targets?

13. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

7 feet

14. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

15. HK_User

16. HK_User

Women and Atlatl

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. HK_User

18. HK_User

19. HK_User

Anyone want more links?

Google Atlatl

I got
    About 367,000 results
    (0.48 seconds)

Enjoy................
    ebay atlatl | eBay
    """"I did that years ago and have no pictures or artifacts."""""

This article first appeared in Mother Earth News, July 1987, and is reprinted with the permission of Atlatl Bob's friend, Tim Cahill.

Tim Cahill is the Editor at Large for Outside Magazine and the author of six books, the latest of which is Pass The Butterworms. He recently wrote the screenplay for Everest, the award-winning IMAX film. Cahill has expressed an intense gustatory interest in Atlatl Bob's beer fed sheep.

Brokor likes this.
  20. duane

duane Monkey+++

Ignore all the flames and arguments, I would highly recommend going to the Thunderbird atlatl site and just looking at some very fine craftsmanship. Will it work, does it work, how long does it take to learn? I don't know, but they have taken the basic tool, and like with a good knife or axe, made it into something well worth looking at as an artistic and technical use of materials to meet an age old demand. Am I going to buy one, probably not, but they are a simple tool developed to what may well approach its ultimate development and well worth looking at.

I will admit that that the one I used 60 years ago had short, about 4 foot, unfletched dart and was either made to be used at a short range or to be sold to tourists and the ones they show are much more like a javelin than a heavy arrow.

1. Bishop
  2. Bishop
    Thread

Air javelin

Just got this in and I am liking it. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, May 18, 2021, 5 replies, in forum: Firearms
  3. Bishop
  4. Bishop
    Just got these in the mail today. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Jul 24, 2020, 0 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  5. Bishop
  6. Bishop
  7. Bishop
  8. Bishop
    Here's my pCP 22 caliber air gun. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 24, 2019, 4 replies, in forum: Firearms
  9. Bishop
    Thread

Red fish

Went out fishing in the air boat. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 21, 2019, 13 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  10. Bishop
  11. Bishop
    Thread

Swiss arrow

Hey made up a Swiss arrow set up. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 18, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  12. Bishop
  13. Bishop
    Thread

Fire piston

Made a little fire with my fire piston. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 17, 2019, 6 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  14. Bishop
    Well I was out shooting my starship today. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 16, 2019, 7 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  15. Bishop
  16. Bishop
    The 48 inch hobow [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Aug 14, 2019, 0 replies, in forum: Functional Gear & Equipment
  17. Bishop
  18. Bishop
  19. Bishop
    Thread

best dog.

I swear I have the best dog ever. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Jun 6, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: General Discussion
  20. Bishop
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7