Auto start gas powered compressor

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by EdMontana, Jan 2, 2020.

1. offgrittyt

offgrittyt You gonna eat that?

I apologize for answering your question with a question, but I've never heard of a pneumatic water pump! I use a deep well 240 VAC well pump which pumps to a tank which is pressurized by an air bladder within the tank. How do you use air to pump water?

3cyl likes this.
  2. offgrittyt

Are you just using the air compressor to pressurize the cistern? Also, if you want to start a generator that is capable of remote start, you could use an ordinary well pump pressure switch and use the contact closures to activate the starter circuit of the generator, the problem being you would need a feedback loop to tell the contact closures to open and disengage the starter when the generator starts.

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

One of the things you can do is take a normal pneumatic diaphragm pump and put it down the well to use compressed air to raise up water. That's the modern way.
    Before that it was a simple tank with float and air or steam was used to drive the water up the well.
    The original application for steam power nearly 300 years ago was pumping water to the surface.
    People have been trying to figure out how to move water up hill from from the bottom of a well/mine for thousands of years. Every power source and practical method to transmit that power has been employed.
    The first steam powered devices were pumps made around the late 1600s.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. offgrittyt

Okay, I never thought about using compressed air to run a diaphragm water pump. Typical, residential deep well or shallow well pumps just use an impeller and an electric motor, no hoses and noisey, heat producing energy hungry air compressor required. ~ I like history & will read about the history of water pumps, maybe even find a Utube video on it. Thanks!

5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Air pumps are pretty much immune to lightning strikes, unlike electrical ones.

6. jpndave

jpndave Monkey

Interesting thread. For a small DC air compressor look at ARB. I have one of their twin piston larger versions and it works well. It doesn't see the duty cycle you are talking about in my application but is rated for it. The unit is well built, compact and somewhat quiet for a compressor. ARB is a good company. Much more air than that and the amp draw as a DC motor gets pretty high. I'm not sure what air volume you need but might be worth looking at.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7