Automatic chicken feeder

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by chelloveck, Feb 26, 2013.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Found this interesting webpage....the chicken feeding station is chicken operated and closes to exclude rodents and non poultry birds from bumming free chickenfeed.

Automatic Wood Chicken Feeder - BackYard Chickens Community

Probably need to use tinplate to cover the wood to preven rodents from mouseholing their way in.

kellory and tulianr like this.
  2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I like that, though it seems more suited for those with just a handful of birds. My crew gets to jostling and knocking each other around so much, that lid would be flapping more than their wings, ha!

I'm going to try to make one of those soldier fly larvae compost/chicken feeders this spring I think.... maybe... still have that aquaponics setup to finish that was supposed to be up and running LAST spring, plus the bunny house, plus a fence, plus.....

3. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Nice idea, but I imagine it wouldn't be but a matter of time before other critters would learn to use it. Let's face it.....if a hen can learn, so could any other critter who's hungry for some feed. I'd definitely look at making it out of sheet metal, versus wood, just to make it more rodent-proof.
    While I've never messed around with a deer feeding station before, couldn't you simply adapt one of those to handle the smaller sized feed for chickens? Plus, being battery operated, it seems to me that a quick solar recharging kit would power it indefinitely.

1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 12, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
  3. JC Refuge
  4. Alanaana
    Media

KFC

Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
    This is Lavinia!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 4 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
    These quail egg clippers are a game changer!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
    Media

First_eggs

I was so thrilled to find that first set of eggs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
    Media

Free_range

It was a dream come true to have a free-range flock!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 2 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
  16. Yard Dart
  17. TnAndy
  18. Motomom34
  19. Yard Dart
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7