AVG and Ad-Aware - resource hogs

Discussion in 'Technical' started by melbo, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Thank-you for the very helpful info Mr. Conagher. Haven't I seen your face somewhere before ? Hmmmmm I will have to give that a lot of thought. Might come to me someday.. Problems with getting old...er

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I'm currently just using the same kind of protection I used in high school.

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

ROFL [aiw] Ain't that the truth.

5. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

I switched to MS Essentials from AVG back in the summer on my windows computers and also malwarebytes. Don't remember where I heard about that, maybe this forum, but it speeded things up for me. However, I do almost all my Internet surfing with a Linux computer. I kind of figured if microshaft makes it for their OS they are going to keep it up to date as quick as anybody. Most of the rest are only interested in selling their software.

6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I use the freeware AVAST program and malabyte spyware program..

7. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

I put a new printer on the wifes computer today, she runs XP and it has Panda and then AVG tool bars on it. I went to Add/Remove programs, and the AVG isn't listed. There is almost no room left on the screen to see any thing. Her machine takes five minutes to boot, I'm glad I use Ubuntu 10.04!

8. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I find that women are more likely than men to install all the extra toolbars on their browsers. You have to be careful to uncheck the box that will install the ASK toolbar, etc when installing anything these days.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It is possible that somehow AVG got installed someplace other than in the "programs" folder. Might have to do a search on the executable file to find it. (Don't ask me how I know that.)

10. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

I got rid of both about 4 years ago and am using trend microsystems for my security while on the internet. I so far am very pleased with the product.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7