Axe or Blade? Which is "best?"

Discussion in 'Blades' started by PapaSasquatch, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

Estwing won me over when I was a truss builder. No questions asked warranty came in handy when hammers were turned into horseshoes by the press table. Aside from all that mechanical pressure you can't hurt an Estwing without trying awful hard to intentionally damage one.

2. I think I see the issue: Are we talking about a tool used for camping / surviving in the woods or a weapon.

While duel purposes are nice, a best tool for one purpose is not necessarily a best tool for the other one.

Personally I would be heading toward a cache to obtain a better weapon were I suspecting a fight vs just camping out.

I do not consider my edged tools to be weapons.

I do own several knives that could be pressed into service for emergency defense, but I make it a habit to carry a handgun of some type with me at all times, and usually also carry my ruger GSR in .308 everywhere I woods loaf.

Combat without a firearm, give me a quarterstaff / walking stick about 6 feet long if I lack a firearm while I work my way to a replacement.

for sentry removal and such that is a horse of a different color also.

To be honest I prefer the stay hidden philosophy, Fighting a war without a military logistical train supporting you is a loosing proposition for a survivalist.

Militia is also a horse of a different color and not something that fits with this thread i believe.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Our ancestors who carried a firearm, knife and hatchet would be prone to disagree. :D

I live adjoining game lands, parks and I enjoy nature so I go hiking. Typically, I carry a firearm, knife, kukuri/long handle hatchet, and a walking stick. Also an 88 pound blue Pitt. To me, defense is similar to the layers of an onion.

I prep for Mother Nature's educational experiences. Others prep for a much longer duration. Those who are preparing for a loss of civil obedience need to plan for their onion also.

True, OTOH for hundreds of years the very best whack and dismember weapons were based on agricultural implements.

Unless you have distance; very few can pull a firearm before getting stabbed. From 21' you get about 1.5 seconds.
    See Tueller Drill
    Tueller Drill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Because it adds to the chance being discovered?

4. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

Axe or Blade? Which is "best?"
    What an unusual question?
    Are you planning to carve a turkey or cut down a large tree? Can I ask a question?
    Would you prefer a finger-nail file or a lawn mower? How about a pickle...or a goldfish?
    I probably should not share a social pipe with Thursday...

BTPost, Seacowboys and RightHand like this.
  5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

A live goldfish or one of those little bar crackers?

6. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

YES.

oldawg and BTPost like this.
  7. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

If you've been asked to cut down the mightiest tree in the forest I suggest going with a herring. Methinks the goldfish ain't going to cut it.

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Damn that's better than a spork

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Seacowboys

The Cold Steel Spetsnaz shovel is much more practical and durable and you can do everything with it too, from cutting down a tree to throwing at an adversary, then cleaning him,chopping him up, pan frying him on it, and burying the rest.

limpingbear, VisuTrac and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

12. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

go to wally world and get a disposable credit card... and use that... limited value (what ever yuo put on it) and no personal information on the card....

13. Seacowboys

The problem that most are having with the folding maddock function is that the hinge is the weak point and often breaks or gets fouled by corrosion and dirt and becomes less functional. That is why I prefer the non=folding type.

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  14. usmcvet

usmcvet Monkey+

I will take both thanks. Just like I want my rifle and my pistol. One will work but the other is typically much better than the other for big jobs. Two is one and one is none.

BTPost likes this.
  15. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I want both... more for the cool "swiss army" factor. Also because I like anything folding. Folding shotguns, rifle, shovels, knives.... folding stuff tickles me.

16. usmcvet

usmcvet Monkey+

Here is my ESS 5 this would be my knife of choice. Backed up by my Leatherman.

730A8DFA-orig.

C0468480-orig.

17. Marco Montana

Marco Montana Monkey+

A nice Gransfor Bruks Hatchet and a simple knife of your choosing would do everything. I choose to take my axe when I may need to chop and or hammer, other than that I usually grab my opinel #7 stainless neck knife, my Bahco Laplander, and my Mora Companion carbon steel or Kellam Puukko. With that set up there's almost nothing I cant accomplish!

18. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

Plenty of those to be found on Ebay,that you use Paypal to make the purchase.
    They can also be found marked up@the flea markets,pawn shops,A/N surplus,gun shops,Cabelas/GanderMt/BassPro,and even a few truck stops($19.99@Dade Corners Pilot T/C in SW Miami for one).
    Matt

19. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

I personally believe in using the propper tool to fit the terrain your likely to encounter in your area.What might work well in in one persons area might not work worth a f#@k in anothers.
    One tool that I've not heard mentioned is a hawk billed brush axe:
    BrushCutter.
    Though a little large it's the only tool I know of that fits the bill as a full multi purpose bush blade.
    I preffer mine with about half the handle cut off,
    cord wrapped,and a sharpened edge on both sides of the blade.It also doubles as one hell of a devastating edged weapon.
    Matt

20. PapaSasquatch

PapaSasquatch Monkey++

Ok, I think my choice has been made. I took my 4 little ones camping last weekend where the wolves and hungry bears live and took the following compliment with me..for fun, and for protection. When it came time to pile the wood by the fire pit I dug with my folding shovel (which I love!), I tried my zombie chopper (18x2x.25" 154cm steel wrapped with paracord) which worked great for lopping branches. But when the big logs were in need of cutting, the new gerber axe was the tool. For poking holes in trees or a bear in the night, the 12 gauge. For the rowdy drunks a mile down the road camping, the AR or glock.

Great thread and ideas, mostly. Thanks folks.
    IMG_6464.

1. OlDiceGames
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Prepsteader13
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Alanaana
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. sasquatch91
  11. Thunder5Ranch