Back Burning Firewood

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I got lazy for a few years but I’m back! Actually the gas furnace going out forced my hand but……..These nice people stopped by and for about 10 grand they’ll install another one, lol. I’m going to rip that old one out and ponder my options. 10 grand for Pete’s sake! Lol.

mechstdr, SB21, Alanaana and 4 others like this.
  2. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Why is it that cutting, splitting and stacking firewood isn’t a chore? In our DNA I suppose, just like staring at a fire. *grunt, scratch*

mechstdr, SB21, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Ripping out an old gas furnace and putting in another one is pretty easy.
    I did it once, replacing a fuel oil burner for a gas furnace that was so efficient it condemned water from its own exhaust gas.
    It's going to cost the installers less than or around $2,000 and they'll snort the rest.

mechstdr, Meat, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Had my old gas heater replaced. New 'energy efficient' with a loop to provide hot water.

Gas bill dropped 48%.

We have baseboard hot water heating. Cost me $7K. Contractor pulled the old one, put in the new one, added water heater, all permits etc.

Since this was done, the gas rate was hiked 4 times. The change over paid for itself in under 6 years in gas savings alone. When it is -10, I don't feel like feeding a wood stove.
    YMMV

mechstdr, CraftyMofo, Meat and 2 others like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Options? gun cabinet man

mechstdr, SB21, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  6. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

@oil pan 4 plus @DKR is korrekt [chopper] [chopper]

.. .. rip er out yerself .. ..

.. .. go ta da store .. .. buy a new un fer around $2,000 ta $2,250 FRNs [ 100,000 - 120,000 BTU ] .. .. buy 4 carbon monoxide detecters .. ..

.. .. load er in da truck .. .. drive er home .. ..

.. .. install er yerself .. .. pop da carbon monoxide detecters in .. ..

.. .. check fer leaks .. .. [ ya dont wanna kill da fam .. .. check fer leaks agin ]

.. .. git-r-done .. ..

mechstdr, Meat and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I do know I am damn sick of having to bring in firewood and cleaning and feeding the stove this winter but...I've got lots of wood so it's free heat and since I do very little during the winter - well - I will just shut up, sit down, and color and thank God for my luck.

Gray Wolf, mechstdr, SB21 and 4 others like this.
  8. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Yes, I’ll do it myself if that’s the direction I go. For now I need to take some layers off, dang it’s hot in here!

mechstdr, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[winkthumb]

mechstdr, Meat, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
  10. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Can't beat wood --the old saying wood warms you twice once when chopping and again when you burn it

11. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

i have a wood stove in my shop for heat, i haven't used it much this winter (been warm), i run a kerosene heater in the house, does ok, been using those heaters for 40 years. getting a little long in the tooth to be humping firewood now, so don't bother right now, will use wood if push comes to shove in an emergency/shtf for sure. :)

12. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Maybe a new trebuchet.

mechstdr and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7