back pack load carrying (Travois)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tango3, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

recent discussuion here re: having too much to haul in a bob, I had read a story ( outside mag) of a guy crossing a desert using a pack and wheeled "travois"to haul his gallons of water. the "travois" was was used by indians and furtraders to add a trailer to a horse, ( simply two poles lashed with cross supports dragging behind the horse,
    Modern travois include one or more wheels couldn't find pics of the onewheeled one from "outside" I did manage to run into a patent.pdf for one>: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6139033.pdf
    Anyway that's the basic idea, the travois suports the weight and one ( small bicycle wheel) eases rough terrain dragging.Ifyou gotta go in the winter ( strongly discouraged) a childs plastic sled can be used to haul all yourstuff.

2. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

That's the ticket. Would be great for those that don't have vehicles or access to them if they get fried. You can even be the horse or if you luck upon one in your travels, get a horse.

3. samantha carter

samantha carter Monkey+++

Alternative for BOV/BOB

Hey Tango3,
    You must be reading my mind. I FINALLY had my car nicely loaded with my BO stash, food, water, clothes, road emergency and first aid kits, winter gear, etc. Then the police come calling early this am. It seems that some landscaping bozo didn't have his load secured, and since it was after midnight and probably was over the speed limit, he lost a huge tree limb which careened through my rear windshield. Well now all the stuff is in sitting in my living room! I had to move it all using a laundry cart. Life in the city!

It's got me thinking the "WHAT IFS" like: the car's in the shop WTSHTF, the roads are impassable, the biggy: EM disruption......

I need to have an alternate BOV/BOB plan!

Ideas anyone??

sam

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

viet cong piled tons o crap on bicycles and pushed/rode'em hundreds of miles..

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I was going to mention the same basicidea as above. A mountian bike, especialy with a cart/trailer even like the ones to put toddlers in to go along for the ride, would allow you to carry a LOT more gear and still cover a LOT more distance in the same time than doing it on foot with a pack and to do so with less effort. It also dosent take up a lot of space to store and basicly nothing in the way of maintnance to keep it ready to go beyond maybe checking the air in the tires and possibly adding a bit of oil to the chain a time or 2 a year.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yeah, but can a mountain bike tow a shopping cart? (I'll leave it to you to explain the inside joke for those that missed it ---)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7