BACK TO BASICS: Has anyone here gone without TP before....

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by wildernessgal, Feb 2, 2007.

1. wildernessgal

wildernessgal Backwoods is a callin'

Has anyone gone without TP (= Toilet Paper ),
    and if T.S.H.T.F. [sinking] do you think that
    YOU can HANDLE GOIN' WITHOUT?!?! Or are ya
    gonna stock up with a LIFETIME SUPPLY???? Just had
    to ask, 'cause I'm sure that many "ENQUIRING MINDS"
    out there would like to know! I'm thinkin' there will be
    ALOT OF UNHAPPY SPOILED PEOPLE OUT THERE
    HAVIN' A HUGE FIT! :cry: <--minus their mommy to fix it

~Wildernessgal~ :sneaky: ha,ha,ha

Tully Mars likes this.
  2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

3. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

poopreport.com?.... You gotta be kiddin me!

What a question, but a valid one nonetheless.

I always keep a couple months worth stocked up, it's one thing I REALLY don't want to do without.

I think the coming shtf is a "soft crash" rather than all out chaos. So I'm assuming I'll still be able to buy it, it just may cost a lot, a price I'm willing to pay if necessary.

I'm not sure of substitutions.... I have had to use leaves while in the woods, but that's far from desirable. I guess you could use a wet washcloth and then just wash it after each use..... eech.

Or you could always use the arabic method..... your hand (which hand was it?).[dunno]

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I have bails of it stacked in the 'Ark'
    Hopefuy we only see the stage 1 and 2 SHTFs I am fully ready for. After that. Oh man. Squatting over holes in the ground is fun for a weekend....

I can see it now. "Hey, You done with that corn cob? Got a fresh side?"
    I can adapt but am really not looking forward to it.
    [boozingbuddies]

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Just make damn sure you know what poison ivy looks like --. Leaves are not a bad way to go in the spring and summer, but winter is sorta hard on the hemmies. (Also, if neither leaves nor tp is handy, use water. Be sure to go downstream of where you do the pot washing.)eek3

Tully Mars likes this.
  6. wildernessgal

Where's the TP?

Yeah LEAVES work pretty good ( trust me I know lol ), mosses
    are a bit softer, and H*LL YEAH, STAY AWAY FROM POISON IVY!!!!!
    Since I don't like spending money, I'm kinda on the verge of goin' backwards... I don't even want to think how much money was spent on toilet paper since my birth? I bet it adds up something fierce!?!?!?!
    I've already ditched all other paper products ( no napkins, paper towels...) as I think they are wasteful.

Yep gotta stash of TP, but would rather use the space on MORE FOOD ITEMS & etc, as that would make MORE SENSE to me! Let's just say that T.S.H.T.F. could last forever oneday, so I act/prepare accordingly.
    Maybe I try not to spoil myself to much so I won't TAKE IT SO HARD if and when the time comes!

~Wildernessgal~
    (whose happiest out in the woods...)

7. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Bidets rule. I wish I had one and have thought that in a true SHTF situation, rigging one somehow in an outhouse would be perfect.

Nothing like a quick clean-up of twigs, berries and sphincter to brighten the day. No more "tacky bung"!

Tully Mars likes this.
  8. the dog

the dog Monkey+++

i think that is the way i would go also.a water fountain in the floor.....lol
    never used one but sure think i would like one.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

A friend of long standing just finished building a house (happens to be in NH) and put in a bidet. Says his hemmies won't take much rubbing with TP.

I never cease to be surprised at some ignorances of things. Quite a few years ago, I was working for a German ew-POW from WW2 (scooped up in North Africa and never went home after the war) on a construction job. He gave me the job of designing and fitting out a temporary warehouse. So I did. The bill of material was long and detailed as it had to be, including the number, style, model and so forth of plumbing fixtures. I slipped a bidet on the BOM for the lady's room and passed the BOM along with the plans to the boss for approval being absolutely certain he would red line it. Well, we were going over it in his office a day or so later and as he was reading down the list, he got to the plumbing fixtures, looked sharply up at me, then went on. He didn't redline it, but passed it on for purchase.

Two months later, he got a call from one of the customer's VPs asking what a bidet is, he was getting set to sign the requisition. Bear in mind, that requisition passed thru at least 20 pair of paws before it got up for signature, and no one questioned it. To this day, I don't know [dunno] if they knew and thought it was a good idea, or if (most likely) they had no clue and figured it was something arcane that went behind the wall in the piping. (And yes, it was taken off. The veep had no sense of humor. There was rumor to the effect that the Idaho Power board room was treated to an angry history lesson about how paper was short in France, and some bright kid invented the bidet, and how it was too bad the high priced help should have known.):sneaky:

Tully Mars likes this.
  10. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

I'm like you, WG, we've been using cloth napkins for years and don't use paper towels or napkins.

I was just thinking of this myself, after having re-organized our storage. Just how much is enough and what to do if it's gone. The cloth diapers that I used not-so-long-ago came to mind.

A bidet would be ideal (but it's so hard to find a plumber 'round here ;)).

11. wildernessgal

Only the STRONG SURVIVE!

My oh my, ya know "MAN HAS REALLY GOTTEN TERRIBLY
    SPOILED THROUGH THE YEARS!" Seriously though, I can't
    see how a BIDET would be one's answer in a S.H.T.F. SITUATION!?!?!
    You are totally wasting a NATURAL RESOURCE, which is very important
    to one's survival. WATER is already a VERY SERIOUS ISSUE IN MANY STATES
    in this country/around the world... or should I say LACK OF IT, wells drying up
    & etc... It's getting hotter/drier everyday. I know I wouldn't be wasting it like
    that "ON ME ARSE" as it's too valuable! I can already hear the
    "MODERN HYGIENE FREAKS".... ha,ha,ha Well, if HYGIENE WAS SUCH A SERIOUS ISSUE,
    WE WOULDN'T BE HERE TODAY! It's just that MODERN MAN is obsessed with ANTI-BACTERIAL
    SOAPS/ EXTREMISM WHICH HAS WEAKENED HIS OWN IMMUNE SYSTEM! :(

But then again,

THE CAVEMEN COULDN'T HAVE SURVIVED WITHOUT THEIR
    ANTI-BACTERIAL SOAPS, PRESCRIPTION MEDS, MICROWAVE'S, REFRIGERATOR'S,
    PREPACKAGED MRE'S, GENERATORS, MC DONALD'S DRIVE THROUGH, SUPERMARKETS,
    ATV'S, 50CAL BMG'S, BIDET'S & so on.... LOL [LMAO]

It shall be interesting indeed??? Many whom I meet think the
    "S. HITTIN' THE FAN SITUATION" only comes in small increments
    of time (<-ie: a few weeks , a month maybe, or... lol ). Well
    WHO KNOWS, MAYBE ONE DAY IT COULD BE WAAAAAAAAAAAAY
    LONG OR EVEN PERMANENT?!!! I think that many will perish
    whether prepared or not, 'cause the majority of men/women
    have become WEAK (<--MENTALLY & PHYSICALLY).
    Just my 2 cents... Other than that HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

~Wildernessgal~

12. wildernessgal

Good for you TRACY!!!!!! I applaud you for that! :)
    Not many recognize things in everyday life which are
    wasteful, counter-productive & just don't make sense...
    Especially when you're talking about SURVIVAL or want to
    label yourself as a SURVIVALIST !

I was corresponding with a person (they describe themselves as SURVIVALISTS ) who live in an area where they have drought conditions & they told me that they were thinking about demolishing their cistern?!?!? Duh, WHAT ARE THOSE PEOPLE THINKING & THEY HAVE 11 KIDS/HOMESCHOOL at that??????? Ya know, I won't even go there,
    AS IT'S BEYOND STUPID!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Hey, I like you too Tracy! :)
    Gotta scoot as I have LOTS TO DO TODAY!
    Have a goodie of a day/weekend!

~Wildernessgal~

13. GaryBrun

GaryBrun Monkey+++

Don't you know how to use the "Three Seashells"?

How many animals have you seen that need tp?

How many of those that do not need tp have dirty aholes after they do their thing?

If you eat right (mucho fiberoso) you will not need tp. I was really surprised when I upped the fiber in my food. I use one two ply sheet and it is nearly always clean. Not that I think it smells like roses, but it is clean

Not Fabreeze clean. Just clean

3M-TA3 likes this.
  14. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Leaves, or if TSHTF truly happens, there will be plenty of $1 bills laying around that will work fine.

Tully Mars likes this.
  15. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

goats, again

Mohair, angora and cashmere.
    Long hair,can be made into felt,reusable,wash and wipe
    biglaff hee hee snowbyrd

16. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I built some plywood boxes, and put 144 rolls per box, line with plastic inside, then screw the lids on, and wrap with 6 mil plastic on the outside.
    (Takes a box 18x18x43 inside dimensions if you're interested......I save my scraps from construction)

Have 10 of these set aside right now. That's about 10 years worth at our rate of use.

[​IMG]

Box on left finish wrapped, ready for storage.

[​IMG]

17. duanet

duanet Monkey+++

The real question is not toliet paper, but sanatation. Mowed several old cemataries when I was a kit and noticed a lot of graves from young people. Went to the library and found that well many of them died of disease, measles, typhoid, fevers, and such, a lot of them died from infections. My mother lost a 12 year old sister in 1916 from an infected boil that turned into blood posoining. The old cemetaries are full of women who died of childbed fever and that was just an infection after a baby was born and the Dr, midwife, or enviornment wasn't clean enough. There are times, when you have an open cut, wound, or have had a baby, that infections develop that used to be fatal and that today, with a few things like anseptic soap or toliet paper and disposable bandages, they are prevented. The big change in our lives is not just antibotics and vacines, it is also "public health". The water is relatively safe to drink in the US and the food used to be relatively safe. How would you surrive if an infected hemmorid, or an yeast infection could kill you?

I know that most of the men and all of the women would not like to go back to a situation where many women died due to childbearing and many of the old men buried in the graves had had 2 or 3 wives who had died and were buried next to them.

18. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I spent 14 years in the Middle East working and living with Arabs. They don't use toilet paper. They use water. Always struck me as kind of funny. Middle of the desert and they are using their water for that purpose.
    I have been in a few situations, in a roadside rest stop etc., where I had no choice. They would only have a little water hose next to the toilet.
    It works surprisingly well. Poo doesn't seem to stick very well to anything wet. It doesn't take much water to clean yourself.
    An interesting side note. Arab custom forbids the use of the left hand at meals. It is a severe breach of manners to touch anything with the left hand. The reason being that that is the hand most commonly used for cleaning and considered dirty.

19. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

WOW

A gross of Paper de Toiletee in a box. fitting numbers tnAndy very apprapro [LMAO]
    snowbyrd[tinfoil101]

20. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have thought about this before and what I came up was to just get 1 or 2 dozen of the cloth diapers and cut them to strips about like TP then keep them in the outhouse/bathroom along with a bucket and between uses treat them just as you would if you were useing cloth diapers.

I could see a couple of significan problems with a bidet in a situation bad enouph that TP was not available. The foremost would be related to plumbing, unless you have a water tower set up with considerable elevation above the fixture you wouldnt have that nice big stream shooting up, then there would be the fact that you would also have to either be hauling all the water from a stream/pound or some such or have a hand pump on a well (unless you had a windmill set up over a wlee already that is in working order) so you get a lot more conservative with the water when it isnt an endless supply just for turning on the faucet. Then if you DO have th4e water tower you run into the problem (in anyplace that has much of a winter) that the pipes from the tower (at LEAST the ones getting to the ground) tend to freeze and burst, and if the winters are sever at all then the water in the tower also is likely to freeze unless you have the whole tower inclosed and tend a fire in it as well as the house to keep it from freezing.

Ifyou did want to go with something along the lines of a bidet though then you might be able to do something along the lines of a dousche bag that could be kept in the house and taken along to the outhouse. Towels would still be needed though since going to the outhouse when its -5, spraying chilly to cold water on your bum then walking back to the house drip drying would be takeing a not particularly good time and IMO makeing it a LOT more uncomfortable. Just try filling the tub with fater some time and letting it sit for the better part of the day to come to room temp and try takeing a bath in it, then consider that the water comeing out of a well or stored in the house in winter anywhere away from the stove/fireplace is probably gonna be at LEAST 10-15 degrees colder. Ive bathed in well water (unheated) and in the summer its a shock to say the least, in thewinter it would be truely miserable.

1. Thunder5Ranch
  2. john316
  3. Bishop
  4. Motomom34
  5. T. Riley
  6. HK_User
  7. Motomom34
  8. hot diggity
  9. DarkLight
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Zimmy