BACK TO BASICS: Has anyone here gone without TP before....

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by wildernessgal, Feb 2, 2007.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Yup, sure have and the missing sleeve on the T-shirt I was wearing worked quite nice, buried it along with the dookie. You gotta make do with what you have at the time, whether it's a portion of your clothing, newspaper, magazine (glossy print would be a challenge) leaves, water or even your hand, nothing worse than walking around with a greasy-a** stuck to your undershorts. [booze]

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Re: BACK TO BASICS: Has anyone here gone without TP before..

Maybe give everyone in your party their own 'scooching' rug?

I have almost as much TP as Andy set aside for the short to mid term stuff. Longer than that I suppose we'd find a way to make do with cloth or other. I think it would be a good idea to issue everyone their own wiper to carry and clean as necessary

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I take it some soap is involved inthe middle east "bare handed H2o pooh removal" process somewhere???

-5 degree outhouse with a blast of icewater!!!! That qualifes under homeland securityapproved torture techniques! I think your bung hole would slam shut so fast with such force your ears would ring, you'd sprain your spincter muscle and get a migraine at the same time (ever heard of fatal icecream headache??)[flush]

Every body dump at tnandy'shouse!!...:)

Butt scootin doggy rug might work...(For extra points : use a muslim prayer rug) be sure to orient it toward mecca..[sawgunner][gasmask]
    Seriously the cut up cloth diaper is the best idea i've heard so far...

Tully Mars likes this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Jeez. Barring a session with the greenapple quicksteps, you might take the time to heat a bucket of water to take along, doan-cha' think? Then again, maybe the slam would shake off the hangerson, and you wouldn't need it -- :sneaky:

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Sound like an 870 going into battery, scare off the ilegals...

6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

LOL @ you
    Pack into the wilderness with no TP and see what you will come up with and use........ :sneaky:

7. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

OK, time to put some of my survival instructor knowledge to use. This is going to get a little graphic, so if you are squimish, you had better look away
    The problem with needing toilet paper come when people decided to start sitting down to take a dump. Previous to that, it was common knowledge that to take a dump and not make a mess of it, you squat. You need to get the bung below the knees. To do this properly, you have to have your feet apart, thus spreading the cheeks. That is why in many third world countries, you still see the slit trench toilets.
    When you sit on a commode, your butt cheeks are allowed to remain un-spread, thus squishing the subject at hand and requiring large quantities of paper.
    There is a book, and I'm not kidding, called "How to Shit in the Woods" It goes through all the steps necessary to cover this subject. It has a picture of a guy wearing a long shirt, pants around his ankles with a shovel and a roll of toilet paper on it. Well worth the price if you can find it.
    Hope that helps some of you!

8. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Hey wildernessgal, I just realized in my last post that I didn't answer your question. Yes, I have gone without toilet paper for the last four months now. It is someones sense of humor to give us paper towel toilet paper that has the consistency of shark skin. It doesn't just take the poo off, it takes the entire first layer of skin as well. Now here comes the rub, so to speak. When we go to the DFAC to eat, we are required to wash our hands for sanitation purposes. Guess what they have right there to dry our hands? Humongous rolls of soft toilet paper!!!!! I'm not kidding, toilet paper to dry your hands with. I keep trying to steal one of those rolls of toilet paper to bring back to my quarters so I can take it with me to wipe with! However, I am afraid of being shot by the Ugandan security guards that guard our DFACs.

9. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

John Wayne toilet paper Sniper? "Rough, Tough, and Don't Shit Off Nobody!"

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Industrial grade sandpaper is what they had on my ship. Have scars to prove it from some after "evening activities" in certain ports of call.

11. drat

drat Monkey+++

in the cold weather it will save water by just using snow.i've read about using a smooth stick,bark,a rock,grass,leaves,cloth,paper,snow,maybe a piece of flexible rubber,your hand but some one else's would be better[LMAO]
    squat low[winkthumb]

12. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

you know the difference beween milspec tp and sandpaper?
    Sand Paper has a smooth side.

13. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

That'll rid the Klingons around Uranus [booze]

14. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well you could always be like the bear.....

A bear is craping in the woods and a bunny comes along, the bear asks the bunny if it has a problem with crap sticking to its fur. The bunny saysno so the bear grabs the bunny and wipes his butt on it.

[own2]

15. jim

jim Monkey+++ Founding Member

Corn shucks work.

16. Pru

Pru Monkey+++

As soft items of clothing (t-shirt type material) get holes worn in them, I am cutting them up into rags about 4x4 or 6x6. I'll stop when I get a brown paper grocery bag full.

For poo, use once & wash like cloth diapers. For pee (girls), allow rag to dry between uses, and issue a fresh rag each morning, again washing like cloth diapers. Keeping hair trimmed helps too (for pee).

That said, I do have a 3 month supply of TP stored. I don't plan on storing anymore.

17. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

100% Splinter free..Another view on modern TP...ouch.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  18. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

i was in mayalasia and they had a little hose like the one in your kitchen sink next to the toilet ... that thing worked well...but u better check the pressure before blasting away ....

i like using rags out of them box of rags thing...cheap and stor easly...

Keep it simply its your ass dont over think it! you will worry yourself to death

alaskachick likes this.
  19. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

LMAO!

About cold. We were on a recent "wilderness survival" 3 dayer and the temps hit the upper thirties. TP wasn't allowed. Headlamps weren't allowed. I had a pre-dawn MUST go and stumbled into the darkness. Had to use whatever I could reach. The second the first leave hit my ass I flashbacked to when I was a kid and a great uncle advised using snow. In MN. In winter.

20. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

at sea the "THUNDER BOX" is an excellent experience ...
    Never had the bidet splash up but then again if the water is splashing up on a ship u aint doing much over the side !!!

1. Thunder5Ranch
  2. john316
  3. Bishop
  4. Motomom34
  5. T. Riley
  6. HK_User
  7. Motomom34
  8. hot diggity
  9. DarkLight
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Zimmy