Back To School

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meat, Apr 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The biggest fail mode I saw while inspecting was undercut, operator moving too fast and dragging the puddle away from the edge. Our best welding hands tended toward a sort of figure 8 weave with 70xx rods and whips with 60xx sticks. That, I never did figure out the why of.

Tully Mars likes this.
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

A guy that's good with the figure 8 weave can really make it look pretty. A lot of tig welders do a variation of that by walking the cup. Walking the cup with two filler rods makes a really cool looking weld,esp on SS.
    For me at least whipping the 60 series rod gives me more control. The puddle fills differently than on 70 series. I can make the 60 lay flatter using the whip vs a Z or figure 8 weave. Might just be the way he was taught.

Meat, Ganado, ghrit and 1 other person like this.
  3. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

9937FDA3-99CF-4315-A596-942EE38A8EA0. This is day 5 and day 1 back using 7018. 1/8th inch. Flat position of course. :D

4. ghrit

How does the smoothness of that rod feel now?

Tully Mars and Meat like this.
  5. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Good once I got the machine adjusted. Just lay it in there.. :D

Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  6. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Some observations from being back in school.
    Pretty much nobody talks to me. (Perfect)
    Some play music in their booth loud enough for all to hear. Heard quite a few F bombs and N bombs.
    I haven’t seen one throwing star stuck to the ceiling.
    There’s a million plus dollars in tools and machines but they ran out of 6010. 1/8th inch.
    I can’t wait for next Friday. :D

7. Tully Mars

You are coming along nicely. Better than actually. I am enjoying watching your progress.
    Hey @ghrit, waiting to see if there are stalactites when we get the pics of the first overhead welds:lol:

Motomom34, Meat and ghrit like this.
  8. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Thanks.
    The pics are carefully edited before posting. I don’t think I have enough leather issued to attempt that crap anyway. Lol. Leather. :D

Tully Mars likes this.
  9. ghrit

Heh. That would be a pipeliner in the making. Lay on your back in a wet ditch doing a closure weld on a BIG underground pipe.

Tully Mars and Meat like this.
  10. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

24DA9B84-1213-4663-96EE-C7C4348BB49F. This latest pic is me grabbing a cutting torch and freehanding from a scrap piece of 1/2 inch. I’ve used these only a handful of times since the late 80’s. Not too exciting to look at but it shows the ease of mass producing throwing stars if one desired. :D

Motomom34, Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  11. Tully Mars

From what I can see the cuts look pretty smooth.

Meat likes this.
  12. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

65E43D87-A45A-48FA-9B2D-08BDB6072DE0. I had another student weld up an aluminum switch handle that I broke last year. Turns out you don’t need to throw it as hard as I did. Oops. I bought him a jug of Billett Bourbon. Ouch. He likes the good stuff evidently. $$$$
    Here’s the switch handle and the booze. I’m not sure why it’s upside down. Oops. :D

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  13. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

My classes ended last Friday. I’m going to pick up my report card today. If it’s above an F my company reimburses me for the tuition. I’d say I’m dialed back in for basic welding and fitting. :D

Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7