Backup iron sights or no?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Lancer, Mar 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Just rememberd, Nikon has another line up of comercial optics, NIKOR, and these are often supplied to companies like Leupold, Redfield, Baush and Laumb, Burris, and Pentax for their product line! Sort of the Japanese version of Zeiss, they supply much of the optics world with the glass and prisms, mainly to cut costs of manufacturing, especially for optics used mostly by civilians! Some manufactures do grind their own, but most get it from one of these two!

Yard Dart likes this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

What's that for end your sportin there YardDart? Curious, been looking for something like that! Does it use keymod, or M-Lok or old school Rail?

3M-TA3 likes this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Sorry, copied the pic off the link to show how they looked. Not my install :(

Ura-Ki likes this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Awe, shucks! Lol

Yard Dart likes this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

On my FireArms with Optics, If Possible I dual Mount with Irons, if NOT, I keep The Irons for that weapon, in storage, already Sighted In, and ready to drop on the Rails, if the Optics go south... Still have the Original Irons that came with the AR10... that I did the original Sight In @ 200 Yds... Then when the Optics Arrived, I pulled the Irons, off the Rails, and stored them away, as A BackUp Sight SetUp... Likely they will never get used, but they are there, Ready to go, if needed... I also keep a dozen extra Battery Sets for the fancy Burris Eliminator III Optic mounted on that Weapon... and for the Red Dots & Reflex Sights on the two Ruger 45/22s... One of them has an aditional Green Laser colocated with the Red Dot...

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A rifle needs an adjustable iron sight...a telescopic sight or laser sight is a useful augmentation. If the augmentation fails; without an iron battle sight, the rifle just becomes a spray and pray stick...

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and oldawg like this.
  8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Mini Angular Flip-up Front & Rear Sight - Black
    This BUS set works great. Heavy duty T6 aluminum construction, nice soft ping when it sets, easy to flip down, low profile. Best I have ever used, and I have some expensive ones from military use. Best of all, the price is $22.99 :cool:

9. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

OK - I'll follow the recommendations for irons. My gut says to in any case. Any weapon may possibly be called into "service" so build it as such.
    But now to stir up some more hate & discontent: I was laying it out with the gas block protected under the forward guards and use a clamp-on short rail for the front, since I have those bits on hand (or maybe just purchase a new clamp-on front). As far away from the rear as practical for a longer radius. A buddy of mine, rather rabid about such things - he's the sort that does 3-gun with night vision and suppressor, insists the front should go on the rail of the free float. I think that leave too much room for a wack to the guard to break the zero.
    Thoughts?

Ura-Ki likes this.
  10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Thanks for that Link Brokor. It was just what I was looking for. And a recommendation too.

Brokor and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If he wins regularly and his rifle is set up that way, pay attention. Otherwise I agree with your thinking

Lancer likes this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Does your set up have a Rail section up front all ready or does your handguard have a full length rail section? Or is it smooth on top? Mounting your front sight shouldn't be that big of a deal as long as it mounts secure to the handguard! Just make sure it' a good solid mount and you should be good!

13. Lancer

He's optics only - highly custom stuff just for comp.. But he wins or places a lot..

14. Lancer

Both guards I have on hand, are square railed. One's 7" so "could" accept a standard A2 front w gas block, the other is 12", and is the one I'm considering using. It would cover a low profile GB, and I could put one of my Troy fronts on it. I'm really uncomfortable with that length of a lever between the barrel and the sight though: especially if prone. I'm thinking of grabbing one of these: (below), and using the longer guards. But more $$...
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...-15-fixed-clamp-on-front-sight-prod85934.aspx

15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

As long as the hand guard/free float is strong, I wouldn't worry about it. My latest has a full length rail section from barrel nut to end of for end, it's plenty strong enough, especially as the rail provides a "Bridge" of sorts between the ends!
    Unless your set up is ultra light or has flex in it, I would say your fine!

16. Lancer

I'll post a pic when done - lower's out getting powder coated right now... It's a "custom truck part" around here...

Gator 45/70, Yard Dart and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Check out ALG for uber strong rails and rock solid mounting system that are also reasonably priced:
    I'm particularly fond of the EMR V2: Ergonomic Modular Rail (EMR) V2 M-LOK

Also for those wanting Troy sights I've found ecopusa.com to have the best prices.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  18. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Definitely have iron sights! Always have a plan B.

oldawg and Yard Dart like this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Don't rely on something portable that can't survive being dropped.

oldawg likes this.
  20. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Looks like a Diamondhead freefloat hand guard. Some of them have that swept back front end and triangular shape. Maybe has a cap on the front, because you don't want that to be so solid and heavy unless it's a bench gun.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Gator 45/70, Yard Dart and Ura-Ki like this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. stg58
  3. Dunerunner
  4. OldDude49
  5. HK_User
  6. Big Ron
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Lancer
  9. Lancer
  10. RouteClearance
  11. HK_User
  12. Motomom34