Backup iron sights or no?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Lancer, Mar 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Hey, thanks brother, I knew you might know. I orderd one of those new Surbu uppers left side charg, right side port, piston with no buffer. Been looking for a good for nd to put on it! Also picking up an H-K MP/ mod33-53 slider stock for it, should be super duper slick! No barrel yet though, waiting to find the right hand guard for a 12.5 inch barrel!

2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

nice - I had no idea they made such an animal

Ura-Ki likes this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I didn't ether! Asked on the other forum, mainly was looking for a No buffer system, turns out there are a few options. Really want to replace the H-K 53 with something lighter and takes standard AR mags and accessories, but not an AR! Price was really good too, complete upper with bolt and relayed parts was $230 shipped, just showed up today!

3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and Brokor like this.
  4. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

unless you have a laser etched reticle then it would never fail... look into these new ACSS type reticles.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  5. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

First, I have never had an optic fail, red dot, holo, or multi power. They were all EOtech, Aimpoint, Trijicon, or similar quality. That's in training, at range, and in combat. Some guys would put new batteries in the M68s before any operation they expected action, even if they put new batteries in only a few days before. The only batteries that needed spares were radios, NV
    Gs, and Surefires lights (white light with IR covers). That said I try to always have backup iron sights on all my optic'ed rifles. I have seen back up iron sights fail, though they were always the cheapest or airsoft knockoffs.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I've dealt with hundreds of Eotech sights and Aimpoint as well as Acog's, and the ONLY ones we've had fail not due to extreme violence were the Eotechs. To this day, Eotech is the only top level brand I steer away from. But, your mileage may vary (and it has been at least a decade for them to make improvements).

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If it is battery powered it's just possible that an EMP might take it out .
    I have them but I also have bushnell and other non powered scopes as well. .
    Irons are still the most practical back up .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Possible, but not very likely, especially for the military grade optics. It all comes down to the severity of the EMP, location, duration, and the robustness of the equipment, it's grade of wiring, length of wiring, if it has an antenna or not, etc. Generally speaking, not going to be a problem. There's not enough data to support any findings to the contrary of what I've stated, but I can go along with iron sights being a necessary backup any day of the week.

Gator 45/70, Byte and Oddcaliber like this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

EMP damage depends on Intensity of the Pulse, at the location, of the device... Remember that EMP is an I2R ruled Phenom and it ALSO depends a lot on the LENGTH of any exposed conductors... that lead to the Critical components.... When thinking about Electro-Optics, the exposed conductors are minimal in the extreme, and Many are shielded by the Metal Case of the Optics itself...

Gator 45/70, Byte and Brokor like this.
  10. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

I might be a lil biased due to too much fictional reading, part of Half Fast's story I started reading here really stuck with me, but I don't believe in just iron sights, or buis. I prefer them to be night sights as well. My current fav brand is XS sights. Put them on a S&W 442 hammerless I bought and liked them so much, I bought a 2nd S&W 442 and put them on it as well.

Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. stg58
  3. Dunerunner
  4. OldDude49
  5. HK_User
  6. Big Ron
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Lancer
  9. Lancer
  10. RouteClearance
  11. HK_User