Backup well pump

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Harbin, Jan 28, 2015.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

For any hauling of water or pump, I'd use 1/8" stainless cable, and comes in 1000' rolls (or larger).

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I wonder if it would be possible to build a fully vertical ram pump? If it could be raised and lowered in the well casing for ten or so feet and pump 1/10th of the flow up 100' per stroke? It could be pulled by a threaded rod assembly, and powered by the wind. It would be dead slow, but continuous as long as it had a breeze.

3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I've dropped a bunch of 2 wire pumps down-hole with no problems except lightning. We gave up on the 3 wire units because there was always a cap or start relay going bad. I have a 1 h.p. down 36' ( bottom of the casing just above the strainer) that has been in since 1999. I also have a well with a "decorative" hand pump on it that works.

Ganado likes this.
  5. Troy brownrigg

Troy brownrigg How my next home will be constructed!

115 vac pumps can be purchased on ebay for $125.00 and 1 1/4 " poly pipe in a 150 roll, a good 115 vac extension cord, With these you can install a 5 gpm pump in a well casing 150' deep in about 15 minutes, for less than $1,000 I do it all the time. I even test wells with this set up. Poly pipe can be purchase from dean bennet supply out of Colorado . The difference between a three wire 220vac is the 220 will run cheap using less electricity, the 115 vac can be run off any generator or solar generator if the inverter and battery bank are large enough!

6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Troy , YOUR MATH is off
    220Vac pump down the same hole uses 7 amps so 7X 220 = 1540 watts

OK so same hole and all but a 115 or half of the twin feeds + 110Vdc @ 14 amps = 1540 watts =
    Same amount of POWER used , but less wire size to carry a higher voltage ..
    I had a nice reminder sent to me !
    Thanks
    Also I should of mentioned is the harm that comes to motors when running at voltages below their design, as happens with long wire losses.
    So higher voltages is less amps for the same size of wire will give less voltage drop.

sloth
    Thanks for the note G

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  7. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

upload_2017-3-18_15-33-35.
    Bison Deep Well Pump, up to 300' lift. Mine is 190'.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Hand Well Pump, Well Hand Pump EZ DIY KITS{water%20well%20hand%20pumps}&utm_content=17158353190&utm_campaign={1}

would someone who knows more about this please look at that link and tell let us know whatyou think? I cant figure out if its shallow well only or not. It looks like it would only be shallow well.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

According to the FAQ, it's good for almost any depth. That said, the limit will be on the operator's ability to lift a column of water.

Ganado likes this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Confusing cuz it looks like the lift is based on pushing the bar down. So if you can put some weight on it does that mean you can go deeper. Yes I know we are talking about 'lifting' the water out of the well. What I couldn't figure out was how much muscle it would take as you went deeper and had to 'lift' more....

11. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

These hands pumps for deep wells use a jet in the bottom and basically you push down a gallon and get up half a pint for each stroke.

Ganado likes this.
  12. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

***Disclaimer***
    This is my understanding after having done a fair amount of research for the last book I wrote. I am NOT an expert in this by any stretch of the imagination. I'm also not 100% sure what everyone's knowledge level is and I promise I'm not trying to talk down if anything below is something you may already know.
    ***Disclaimer***

First, from about half-way down the front page they claim down to a static depth of 150', which is a deep well.
    The bisonpumps.com page suggests that you use a deep well pump for anything over 25' deep to lift the water rather than rely on suction (which causes drawdown and makes your well "deeper").

Bisonpumps.com has a really good comparison chart showing the amount of force exerted on the cylinder (or lifting handle) per stroke here: http://bisonpumps.com/test/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/DW-Cylinders.pdf

@Ganado - The link you posted looks to use PVC pipe and is a 1", so the numbers in the above link won't be entirely accurate but they still give you an idea of the force required to move the water.

The image below shows how the water is raised:
    [​IMG]

Eventually, the water is at the top of the T in the handle and when you push the handle down, the pipe "fills" from the bottom, pushing the water out of the top. If you did this very slowly, you could actually get next to nothing or nothing out of the pump because you aren't creating enough suction to close the check valves.

I have a couple of serious doubts about the claims and the video:
    • First, water is heavy and with a pump like this you are quite literally lifting the water straight up. No lever, no fulcrum, nothing, just raw human muscle power. You are going to get very tired very quickly lifting, for example, 60 lbs. of water straight up over and over and over again (number comes from a PDF below).
    • Second, that is a LOT of stress on the PVC pipe and it looks like that's all it is. You have the stress of pulling up the weight of the water, and the stress of pushing the pipe back down into the water.
    • Third, there is ZERO accounting for the weight of the pipe, which is not inconsequential. Have you ever lifted 150' of 1" PVC pipe? PVC (Schedule 40) pipe weighs ~.30 lbs./foot. 150' weighs 45 LBS! So, to lift water from a 150' well, you are lifting no less than 100 lbs with every stroke!
    • There is no way on God's green earth they were pulling that much water per stroke from more than 10-15'. Again, the combined weight becomes something that most people couldn't do that fast over and over again.
    Some other thoughts, the deeper the well, the longer it takes to prime. You could be pumping for several minutes to raise the column of water to the handle before the first drop flows, at least the first time, so be ready to work for "nothing" for the first little bit, and for every stroke to get harder as more and more water fills the feed pipe. I really hope the check valve keeps water at least part way up the pipe.

There are a couple of sites that give you the weight of water in a foot of pipe (here's one that is specific to water in pvc pipe...AWESOME! http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...upports/rd-schedule4080pvcplasticpipedata.pdf). For this pump, and according to the PDF from cooper industries, assuming a 1" Inner Diameter pipe, each foot of pipe filled with water will weigh .70 lbs. 10' = 7 lbs. 100' = 70 lbs. 150' = 105 lbs.

A deep well hand pump with a 30" arm and a fulcrum doesn't lift as much water per pump (as little as 4 oz per stroke), but the "effort" expended is less per stroke and maintainable for much longer by a MUCH larger cross-section of people. I don't know many people who can dead-lift 100 lbs straight up repeatedly without blowing out their back.

I do think that the survival pumps that people are selling have potential value for shallow wells but you are going to kill yourself getting enough water every day for a family of 4 from much more than 20' deep.

techsar, Ganado, ghrit and 1 other person like this.
  13. Cruisin Sloth

NO WAY is that one solar panel making that motor work . .
    The battery he said amp hrs , is the driver .

14. Cruisin Sloth

Good math & I agree , Same as peddling an generator for power ,

One of the Wrights Of the Frank Lloyd kids (13 in all or so ) was a water pump helper for Africa & areas , Made of hockey pucks & PVC pipe , worked on leg power . I met him @ the Family Reunion at the place where all the kids grew up .
    He had a great thinking mind those crazy canuks !

Sloth

15. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Ganado likes this.
  16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Ever see an old oil diarrheic the machine has a very small motor that rotates a weight and a nose that holds the pump shaft
    The wheel is weighted for the weight of the fluid ,however much it is at what ever depth it is , in this case thousands of feet sometimes.
    The shaft is connected to a bucket valve assembly like that unit Ganado was sharing only it works in stages.
    The motor needs little power to spin the big wheel and all it's doing is bringing the weighted portion to the point IT is assisting the lift .
    If you have a stream some where, it might be more practical to have a Ram Pump.
    There are several demonstrated on the internet and i built one my self. they work.
    The ram pump is not a well pump ,
    It works on a stream only, and at that, a 6' fall of water at least 20' long to the valve system.
    It works on a kinetic jar about the same as one's pulse rate 60 BPM.
    This technology is roughly 2oo years old according to some ,most commonly found in the Philippines .
    My experiment started at the bottom of my property , and it pumped water roughly 300 feet- 47 feet high. to the top of my shop roof ( highest point I could go) . Some have gone much higher .
    The idea is to pump the water to a much higher point above the house and let it gravity feed from a resivour /cistern .

Cruisin Sloth, chimo and Ganado like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7