Backyard bushcraft

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Hanzo, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I love our sunsets!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434437651.637545.

Dunerunner, Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Dunerunner likes this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

An amazing thread...Shaka Bruddah,,,

Hanzo likes this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mahalo @Dunerunner.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Don't remember if I posted this already or just uploaded the picture. We cut neem and pine for the monkey's birds.

Once the sun comes up, it is warm. And then it gets hot. Wife said 90 degreed today. So far, not as hot as yesterday.

But I am ready. Set up a cheapie blue tarp out back. Just waiting to add monkeys and water.

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Added water to the tarp, pineapple juice chilling in a puddle and the biggest monkey of all wallowing in the wet.

Spotted a lone hibiscus and got inspired to take her picture. Made me think of summer skies.

After an hour or so, monkeys didn't join me and I was getting hungry. So some lunch and errands. So typical... sushi!

Spicy ahi roll (was so big you cannot tell I took a bite out of it already)

Hamachi, Chinese style sushi with ginger and green onion. Love it this way.

A big soft shell crab roll.

And the chef laid some freebies on.

Salmon tempura (about double this amount)

And a few pieces of ika, squid. Or as @Bear calls it, bait.

Bear and Motomom34 like this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

On the way back, monkeys got drinks. And decided to have them in the tarp.

Invited a neighbor kid over to cool off.

Monkey and her "shield"

Lots of tarp sliding. Didn't upload pictures and didn't put the really short video clips on youtube. The water felt great. It's so hot, I don't feel like working.

Bear, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

By the way, fyi, blue tarp grommets are single use only. Be prepared to alternative means, like clips or buttons.

Bear likes this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Bear likes this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Bear likes this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Bear and kellory like this.
  13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

O.O ypu got the stainless steel chopsticks! Glad to see you putting them to good use =)

BTW @Hanzo. You have beautiful girls

Bear and Hanzo like this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mahalo @Ganado. Manufactured stainless steel and @Bear forged titanium chopsticks! The stainless is much lighter so a better fit for a hair holder upper.

Ganado and Bear like this.
  15. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Mine ride here, unless I am headed out for Chinese.... IMG_20150705_082834966.

Hanzo and Bear like this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

My monkeys love Harry Potter and the like fighting with their wooden swords. So since I had a small piece of wood, I carved a dagger wand for the big monkey. Originally, I had a spine running the length of the blade. But I took it off the last half of the blade to weaken it and discourage them from getting too aggressive with it. Also blunted the tip, just in case. But I did sharpen the edge above the choil and it works great as a spell casting letter opener. It's very crude, but now little monkey wants one.

[​IMG]

Ganado and kellory like this.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Sharpening knives is a good skill to have. It's been a few weeks since I last sharpened our kitchen knives, so while Mrs. Hanzo was out running and before the monkeys got up, I got to it. Always better with less distractions and people moving about you as you sharpen. They always seem to come around me. Plus my pocket knives needed attention too since they are no longer shaving sharp after much whittling and carving. They are back to sharp and smooth. And I touched up my small bolo knife.

When I first got the bolo from the Phillipines, the edge was convexed so much that it was round and duller than my butter knives. It took about an hour to get it sharp. A belt grinder would have come in handy, but I always sharpen by hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sharpening by hand is kind of meditative. And I was remember once when the little monkey was watching me sharpen a bunch of kitchen knives one evening a year or so ago. She was getting sleepy and the rhythmic sound of sharpening was putting her to sleep. But I was impressed with how aware she was. As I sharpen, I can feel when the edge starts to move smoother on the stones and I can hear the difference in the sound. So in her sleepy state, she mentioned to me that the sharpening was starting to sound different. So proud or her. And then I explained why.

Anyway, the bolo was just eye candy for the post.

Yard Dart likes this.
  18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I always crave sushi after I look at your posts

Hanzo likes this.
  19. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

@Hanzo I really like all the food pics and the pics of your children. You guys look like a very happy family

Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Even the knife ones, @Ganado? Guess you need a knife to cut sushi and sashimi...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7