Backyard bushcraft

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Hanzo, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mahalo @vonslob. I think most people are generally happy. At least that is my hope.

vonslob likes this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Knives are kinda like handsome men and pretty women. They can look good or be useful but rarely are they both... of. Bears knives are prolly the exception

Yard Dart and Hanzo like this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I keep my small bolo very sharp as it is small and light enough to easily pack hiking or camping. Most times car camping, I pack a bunch of @Bear blades because I agree with @Ganado.

Been too lazy to get some larger blades really sharp. I takes a good hour or so by hand when they come dull like the bolo did. And I have a larger bolo that I just never put a proper edge on. It is more of a medium size and what I would call a chopper, not so much as machete. Maybe I can see if I can commission Bear to put a good edge on it. Sometimes power tools are the way to go!

Anyway, here are some pictures of the medium bolo.

[​IMG]

I always wondered if Lynn at Cold Steel got the idea for the Bushman from Filipino blades. Many are made with hollow handles. To me, I wouldn't use it as a spear head unless I have a back up blade. But I think it is most useful with a branch stuck in there to get to out of reach fruit. You knew the hanzo food connection would kick in.

[​IMG]

Out of the sheath.

[​IMG]

Last night's shy moon, hiding in the clouds. Junk phone pic.

[​IMG]

Yard Dart, Ganado and Tobit like this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Nice handle wraps

Hanzo likes this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I didn't do them. The Filipino craftsman that made it did the rattan wrap. Same as for the small bolo.

Ganado likes this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Was a busy day today and had a very late lunch or very early dinner. After eating, I sat outside in the shade enjoying the cool breeze. And decided to carve a bamboo arrow mockup. Next time I harvest some bamboo, I want to make a few arrows. So the mini is one piece of bamboo. The head, rounded shaft, "feathers" and nock are all from the single piece. I realize my picture doesn't show it very clearly. But here are my notes, I would probably make the head on the full sized one longer and thinner. It was just with this small piece, I didn't want it to break off, so I kept a thick spine in the arrow head. If in a pinch, I wouldn't bother rounding the shaft. Maybe just smooth out the sharps edges a little. For lack of feathers or leaves, carving the feathers would be an expedited way to get the arrow in the air. And for my little mock up, I didn't bind the shaft before I split the end for the nock. On a full size, I would do so.

[​IMG]

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I have seen bamboo arrows go very deep into trees and penetrate coconuts, so I would like bamboo for self bows and arrows. Plus, bamboo is generally straight.

kellory and Ganado like this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mini bamboo arrow with field point.

[​IMG]

kellory likes this.
  9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Blowgun DART;)

Hanzo likes this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Might need a little thinning to use in a blowgun.

kellory likes this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Took out the EDC alox Victorinox Farmer SAK and carved a flower for the birds to chew on.

[​IMG]

And immediately, Harmony went for it, as per her usual.

[​IMG]

Motomom34, Ganado and Tobit like this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Homemade hammock stand, hammock and tarp setup along with some knots. Yup, more backyard bushcraft.

I had ordered and received the pipes some time back. But right as I was picking them up, thunderstorms were brewing. So no steel pipe handling. Just packed it away in storage. Finally made some time to set it up today. Really simple. In case you want to make one...

four (4 ea) 6' 1" steel pipes - threaded
    four (4 ea) 2' 1" steel pipes - threaded
    one (1 ea) 1" x 1" coupler
    two (2 ea) 1" x 1" L coupler
    two (2 ea) 1" x 1" x 1" T coupler
    optional four (4 ea) 1" end cap

Pretty self explanatory, especially when you see the picture. Everything was just hand tight, and it held my 210# carcass just fine. I did take @Bear's advice when I told him what I was planning. Applied anti-seize to threads.

[​IMG]

I used 1" straps to hang the hammock because I haven't unpacked all my gear and put it away yet. Straps were at hand. Figure 8 knot on one end to tie a prussic on the pipe.

[​IMG]

Siberian hitch on the carabiner with a safety loop. All quick release still. If you want even more security (I haven't needed), you can run a toggle, or better yet a carabiner, through the safety loop and cinch it down.

[​IMG]

Hammock used today is an Eno Double Nest and the tarp is an Auscam hoochie.

Siberian hitch also on the first side on the ridge line. I know a lot of people like to do a loop on one or even both ends of the line, a la IAWoodsman. But I can tie a Siberian hitch as fast or faster than I can thread cord through a loop or run a toggle through it. So no biggie. And quick release is faster. Seems just as strong to me. Can always add a toggle if I feel insecure.

[​IMG]

Cranked the other end of the ridge line really tight with a truckers hitch. If my line was longer, I would have shown the truckee hitch.

[​IMG]

I used a prussic and shoelace knot to pull the tarp taut along the ridge.

[​IMG]

You can use a toggle if you have a fixed loop. I didn't need to attach the center loop, but did it with a toggle.

[​IMG]

Most people also tie a fixed knot to the tarp or tent or whatever shelter, and an adjustable knot to the peg or other anchor point. I proposed doing the opposite. I used just a simple clove hitch at the stake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And an adjustable knot, like a taut line hitch or some variation at the tarp tie out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The reason I suggest this reversal is that if it is really coming down and you need to adjust your shelter, you won't have to come out of your shelter to do so. Maybe you will just get your arms wet this way. And quick release is the way to go!

Here's the set up.

[​IMG]

In the hammock.

[​IMG]

I love the hoochie and other tarps. But they have a flaw. What you get for lightness for carry is thinness. So it doesn't fully shade. That's why I also like the USMC Marpat tarp. It is a little smaller, but it is quieter and has two layers making much better shade. Probably my favorite small tarp.

I reset with the USMC Field tarp and was much cooler. Have to do it on a diagonal to cover the tarp. But the other advantage is more airflow that way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See the difference in shade?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can feel it too.

I suspect the little monkey will be coming around as soon as she is done with her Halloween decorations. Thanks for joining me on another backyard bushcraft adventure. And pardon all the background stuff, like laundry and compost pile and such. I wasn't about to tidy up to take pictures. :rolleyes:

CalmAsHinduCows, Ganado and kellory like this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

So after some hammock lounging, it was time for dessert. Yes, dessert.

We avidly support local farmers markets. Wifee picked up some mango on coconut sticky rice for me. One of my favorite desserts. I dumped all of the coconut cream on top too. Delish!

[​IMG]

After I finish my iced sparking water, it will be back to the hammock. Maybe a nap sounds good. Little monkey is too busy with her Halloween stuff to bug me, aka jack the hammock.

CalmAsHinduCows likes this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

While I was enjoying the hammock, I knew it was only a matter of time.

[​IMG]

Right on cue, little monkey jacked the hammock. Good to know that both the hammock and the hammock stand can handle 300+ pounds. Monkey + me = 300+ pounds.

[​IMG]

Then somehow, the two monkeys ended up in it.

[​IMG]

15. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Big monkey looks like she has been crying. Nothing serious, I hope.

Hanzo likes this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Thanks for your concern, Uncle @kellory. All part of her marionette makeup.

Ganado and kellory like this.
  17. That's a wonderful backyard set up there!

That's what is so wonderful about bushcrafting. You don't have to be thousands of miles in the remote wilderness or self-marooned on a deserted island to enjoy and practice it. You can just as easily enjoy, learn, and appreciate all amazing discipline and respect bushcrafting teaching in the safety and comfort of your own back yard.

You're an awesome dad! [coo]

Hanzo and kellory like this.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mahalo @CalmAsHinduCows. Yup, I agree with you. Bushcraft is in the heart and mind, not necessarily the place.

Like when @Bear I built trap triggers at a restaurant using our chopsticks after lunch.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  19. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Since the big monkey is at her dancing lesson, I asked the little monkey if she wanted to go biking with me and maybe end at a park where I could set a shelter up for us and we can have a picnic and eat and read. She declined, asking instead for a hammock set up out back.

Works for me. As I set up, it was hot. And it was off and on blazing sun and then overcast. And since she was snacking, she said I had first dibs. Sweet! Was glad we didn't go biking. It started to come down off and on, sometimes pretty hard. And I really enjoyed being under the tarp in the rain. Reminded me of camping.

[​IMG]

So when the monkey didn't come out, I came in to check on her during a lull in the rain. Good girl, she was doing homework. So after I post this picture, I will resume my position in the hammock. Read, relax, maybe take a nap in the rain!

Ganado and kellory like this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

More promontory peg action...

Wifee bought Haagen Daaz. Ok, nuff said, right? Used the saw to get rough cuts so that the edges are not smooth.

Used the blade for clean up work and to make the point for bait.

Set trap with my Midori Travelers Notebook (Just an aside: set up as a bullet journal... when I first started using a bullet journal, I would use initials for short. Somehow, BJ didn't quite seem so good. Then I found out the bullet journal crowd use BuJo. Hmmm...)

SB21 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7