Backyard Sugarin

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Catullus, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Catullus

Catullus Monkey+++

Anyone out there making maple syrup? Today is my first day boiling. Nothing like tending a fire and drinking beer for 12 hours. [beer]

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

We've been having a good heavy sap flow this year. I don 't tap but may when I retire and have more free time during tax season

3. Catullus

Catullus Monkey+++

I noticed that there are no threads pertaining to maple syrup production. Shall I post pics of my setup? If there is interest I will. I am not a commercial syrup producer. I produce between 5-10 gallons a year for my family and a few lucky friends. It is a great way to produce your own sugar if you have the trees and a little bit of redneck ingenuity. You do not need that many trees. Each tap you put in should produce about a quart per season.

Falcon15 likes this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Pictures, Please....

5. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I have friends that do this as a side business. We always tease one of the guys that his syrup is 50% corn syrup and 50% aunt jemima.

6. DTADO

DTADO Monkey+

I've seen his setup firsthand and it's actually pretty ingenious. convenient, too. right in the driveway. keep it up, buddy. the kiddies are looking forward to some waffles soon.

7. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Pictures and details if you please!!!

8. Catullus

Catullus Monkey+++

I am boiling tomorrow and will take some pics.

Falcon15 likes this.
  9. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+++

I've been collecting sap for a couple days now. Almost got my 600 gal head tank filled. Plan on firing my evaporator up tonight. I have a 30"x96" evaporator (raised flue rear pan). Right now i have around 150 buckets out and about 50 taps on vacuum (adding more every night). I figure I'll make around 10-14gal tonight when i boil.

Jason

10. Catullus

Catullus Monkey+++

Nice!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7