Bahco Laplander Saw

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Bear, Jan 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I like double bit felling axes, for what that is worth. None of this "2 different edge grind" business I have learned is common outside my AO. Around here, you use the same grind on either side, so that when one edge gets dull or damaged, you don;t have to lug it back to the house and break out the files.

My first thought when I saw the pic you posted was "Well, that's Indian". Very, very much some of the 16-18th century stuff I have seen from there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2016
  2. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

I never gave much thought about design or origin...just fired up the plasma torch and started welding. Interesting. ..I wanna look into designs further now...

If it has an edge, I'm hood with it. I can't ever remember not having a blade.

I had to have been somewhere around 8....I had a Barlow folder...downward hammer punch into a log. Then, the resulting pinkie finger half severed from it closing on impact. I still remember like it was yesterday. Hid it so well my mom never knew...or at least she never let on.

Respect the blade. She's beautiful, but she will bite.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2016
    HK_User and kellory like this.
  3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Heard that. I hadn't had my first knife more than ten minutes before I I got hung up in a piece of wood trying to whittle it. Somehow managed to slice open the entire length of my inner forearm on the other side trying to yank it through the wood.
    Been a pretty running theme. I don;t even stop working anymore unless blood is dripping onto something I'm working on for a customer.

GrayGhost likes this.
  4. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Not giving up hope that sometime I'll be able to make things for others for a living.

Thanks for sharing...too many stories. I'll have to gather some of my collection sometime for a pic...it's been a life long love affair.

kellory likes this.
  5. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Years ago (like 30-35) I used to do a lot of back packing and wilderness camping. Experimented with a variety of wood cutting options that were available at that time; small axes, hatchets, saws, bit knives, etc. Options are a bit different now but then it didn't take long to figure out that a saw required a lot less energy to cut a limb than the other options. Weight was also a big deal as I carried this stuff for miles. Ultimately settled on a Sven saw and a modest sized fixed blade knife as best overall solution for my backpacking and camping. Used less energy, weighed less and generally was fastest to boot. The Sven saw was very light and folded up easily and strapped to the side of my pack just fine.

AT

Tully Mars and Hanzo like this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I think Silky's are great too. Mainly lug a Bahco because a comparable size Silky feels like it is double the weight. One of my friends brings a huge @$$ Katanaboy to camp.

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

No joke! I reattached my friend's finger from axe contact...

GrayGhost likes this.
  8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Tell him to hold the other end?;)

Hanzo, oldawg and GrayGhost like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Oh, there was a whole long story behind that one...

kellory likes this.
  10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

It's ridiculous how light the Silky saws are. The guy I linked in the video lives in Russia, and he frequently cuts large frozen trees with his katanaboy. I think a Gomboy and Bigboy are the largest I would go with, personally. But, that katanaboy looks sick.

GrayGhost and Hanzo like this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

And yet the Bahco seems much lighter. And the katanaboy is like a chainsaw! It goes through seasoned dry wood well too. But much too big to lug around, IMO. Great for car camping though.

Tully Mars and GrayGhost like this.
  12. Brokor

I don't follow. First, you are comparing a Bahco Laplander 8" saw to a 20" blade Katanaboy. Second, the equivalent saw by Silky to the Laplander would be the Gomboy with the 9 1/2" changeable blade. The Laplander you favor weighs in at about a full pound, but the Gomboy weighs only 0.6 lbs.

Just saying.

13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Never compared the Bahco to the katanaboy. Those were separate statements. I'm just saying that I have a Silky that is a comparable size to the Bahco Laplander. My Silky (don't remember model) is heavier than my Bahco. That is what I remember. My Silky is mostly metal while my Bahco is mostly plastic. I do not have a katanaboy, my friend does. He brings it car camping, so I got to use it.

I think both the Silkys and the Bahcos are great. Have both. Used both. But I prefer to carry my Bahco to my Silky because it feels significantly lighter to me.

That is all I was saying. My wife used my Silky and Bahco last. So now I don't even know where the Silky is. If I can find it, I will weigh the two. I bought a new Bahco because I thought I lost my old one. Did not know wifee took that one too. So if I can find the old one, I will weigh all three to compare weights. Don't know if the older Bahco is the same weight as the new one. My old one is about ten years old, I am guessing.

Bear and AxesAreBetter like this.
  14. Brokor

Silky (Gomboy) weighs less than a Bahco Laplander. A lot less.

Bear likes this.
  15. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

So does a tomahawk...just saying.

Brokor likes this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

The Silky I have feels heavier than the Bahco I have.

17. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Well, I asked the wifee where the saws were. Got the Silky Gomboy. Gave it to her with the case. The case is gone. She didn't have the Bahco. Showed her the new one and reminded her when she saw it that she said she took it. Well, she has no recollection of that even, Senator. Old Bahco in limbo now.

So here are the Silky and Bahco together.

[​IMG]

What I like about the Bahco over the Silky... It is lighter and it locks both closed and open.

What I like about the Silky over the Bahco, it is steel and has two locked open positions. It also cuts cleaner.

Like I said before, both are awesome. And I really like them both. They both cut really well. Maybe later, I will do the ultimate test... Saw a piece of dry seasoned kiawe with both saws. Hope the kiawe doesn't break the saws...

Here's the weights.

[​IMG]

Bahco Laplander - 6.6 oz.

[​IMG]

Silky Gomboy - 8.3 oz. With the plastic case that is now no more, it is even heavier. Feels like over a pound.

Anyway, not to derail @Bear's thread. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't nuts for saying my Silky was heavier than my Bahco.

18. Brokor

Pocketboy :oops:
    Pretty sure the Gomboy is a close enough comparison, but it's larger than Laplander. Let me dig my Pocketboy out of storage and post a picture since that is the flavor we are going with. :ROFLMAO:

19. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Hey @Brokor, fyi, I saw a Silky Gomboy 240 large teeth on Amazon for $39.93. Pretty cheap for a Silky. Little bigger than mine (210).

20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Well, I sawed a piece of kiawe with both saws. Fortunately, my random grab was fortuitous. This piece of kiawe wasn't the hardest one I have cut. But it was long enough to cut a section from the same side with each saw. The diameter was about 3-4 inches. Pretty much about as large as what I would be looking at cutting in the field.

Both saws went though it well. The Gomboy was a little bit faster, as expected. It is a little bit longer and thinner. The Bahco also cut close to a knot that I had to power through.

[​IMG]

The winner of the test... whatever I am going to grill or smoke next... (y)

HK_User and Bear like this.
  1. Alanaana
    Media

Hi_I'm_Carl

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 17, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Gloves!

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 7, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Motomom34
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Ganado
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. hot diggity
  9. OldDude49
  10. DKR
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. RouteClearance
  13. Motomom34
  14. Yard Dart