Bahco Laplander Saw

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Bear, Jan 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

That might be the difference, for me. When I go out to cut down some wood, I'm planning on making something. That is what I chew through on a regular basis, and go up from there.

What does that wood taste like? I have no idea how to even say the name of it.

Hanzo likes this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Kiawe (kee-AH-vey) is our local mesquite tree. My favorite wood for cooking with. Great flavor and long burning and hot coals. Never tasted the wood, @AxesAreBetter, but the food cooked with it comes out great. :whistle:

If I were to build something bushcrafty, I normally wouldn't be using wood much larger than that. If I needed a log, I would just put it in the fire where I wanted it cut.

In my younger, stupider days, I did hack a foot diameter tree with a machete once. Man, that was a lot of work. When we were camping, we found a downed tree. It was hard wood, about a foot in diameter and 12-15 feet long. Three of us hauled it back to camp. We used what we had... an Ontario 18" machete. We took turns chopping and in what must have been about half an hour (it was a long time ago), we had three pieces. Used one a base, propped another on top and built a fire under. That one log lasted all night. The remaining piece was for the next night. Good fun. And we had a smaller fire for cooking. The main meal I remember was the fresh prawns we caught. They were huge and delicious in butter with garlic, hobo style in tin foil!

kellory and HK_User like this.
  3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Love me some Ontario machete. Just used one to help clean a deer. You get all the best food in your AO, man. Totally not fair. Haha.

When I was around 12, I cut up a stand of lightning struck oaks and drug them about a dozen yards in 6-8 foot sections to build a fort in a opening in a clay bank. Broke two axes doing it, and never really broke the bad habit. Haha.

Hanzo and HK_User like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I think I would rather clean a deer with a pocket knife than a machete.

And just so you know I am a nice guy, I will try to eat your share of ono food.

5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Used the machete to dismantle it.

Ha.

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

When I did my hunter education class many years ago, we watched a video of this grampa taking his granddaughter hunter for axis deer. I think it was on Molokai, but don't remember. I remember two things.

First, after he gutted it and field dressed the deer, he used the first joint of the front legs to make toggles which he threaded through the back legs. His granddaughter shot it. He made a deer backpack and humped it out. All that took was a few minutes.

Second, when he got home, he hung it in the back yard. And in less than five minutes, he skinned and quartered it.

All this was done with a tiny old fashion slip joint pocket knife. My lesson learned was that it is easy if you know how.

kellory and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Heard that. Practice goes a long way. Haha.

Hanzo and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

These are less friendly to slipping when cutting.
    Amazon.com : Fiskars 7 Inch Folding Saw (9368) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@Brokor, what teeth do you have on your Silky?

11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

With these saws having blades roughly 7"-9", unless I'm cutting notches, what real good are they? That means they are good for maybe 5"-6" max material size. (Something I'd be through in seconds with a machete or axe). And if I am cutting notches, a wood chisel would work much better, and pack smaller and lighter. I have a folding pack saw I never use, because it is not worth the assembly effort for something that can handle @6" max diameter.

12. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Conservation of energy.

Hanzo likes this.
  13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Seems like a saw takes more work to me.

14. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Hanzo likes this.
  15. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I have cut down trees with an ax as well as a cross cut saw. I'll take a cross cut saw any day.

Hanzo likes this.
  16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

That style of blade does not bite worth a crap in my AO. VERY irritating, since the market is starting to lean heavily in that direction.

I have cut things down with both. It might just be my build, but doing it with a crosscut always seems to kill me. Usually end up finishing it with an ax.

17. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

A folding saw is easier to deploy and stow than a pack saw that needs assembly. And I typically would not be cutting larger than your 5-6" anyway. The saw is sometimes easier and safer than a machete or axe. And almost always a cleaner cut. And this is coming from a guy who loves machetes.

In my area, my "Nessmuk" trio would be a machete, saw and small knife.

18. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mahalo for the suggestion. Have never used one of those. But I am comfortable with a machete. Have used various brands form Tramontana to Ontario to Cold Steel, etc. Have also used bolos, parangs and kukhuris. And @Bear blades!

Over the years, my tastes have evolved to where I like a thinner, faster blade with a longer handle. Just my preference.

19. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

As manufactured by the Nepalese masters, a traditional Khukuri has a thick blade with a differential Heat Treat. The edge is the hardest and the spine is the least hard. The base material was a vehicle spring and they harden the blade using charcoal to add carbon and water to quench. Differential Heat Treat with their method is an art form. Interesting stuff.

I have a CS Khukuri, thin blade and the steel dulls and dings easily. I've attached a metal file to the sheath to keep it sharp.

Khukuris are a weight forward edge; a bit more difficult to change direction with than a machete. It's more of a whack and dismember than a slice and dice type knife. ;)

Thin and fast is better for the obvious reasons.

Hanzo likes this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I actually like the Cold Steel one. I have there original in Carbon V. Much lighter than a traditional one. I have several from Nepal and the Sirupati style is my favorite.

1. Alanaana
    Media

Hi_I'm_Carl

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 17, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Gloves!

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 7, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Motomom34
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Ganado
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. hot diggity
  9. OldDude49
  10. DKR
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. RouteClearance
  13. Motomom34
  14. Yard Dart