Bahco Laplander Saw

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Bear, Jan 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Such a useful design is sure to be copied. Here is a model. It is short and handy with a sharpened clip point so it can be used like a Bowie with the quick upswing.
    [​IMG]

Hanzo, Witch Doctor 01 and kellory like this.
  2. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

HK do you have a link to purchase that style knife?

3. HK_User

Here is the Mfg.
    KANETSUNE Oh-Wazashi, Length 16", Blue steel Cocobolo Wood w/ Sheath KB-153 NEW

And about he best price I have found here.
    Kanetsune Oh-Wazashi Damascus Field Knife KB-153

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

That is really nice, HK. Can you do a picture or video review?

5. HK_User

You assume I have one?

Hanzo likes this.
  6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

As it is lighter and changes direction faster than a Nepalese original; I didn't say I didn't like it. ;) It is easier to achieve a back and forth rhythm with a CS than a "real" one.
    The CS blade appears to be less hard at the edge than a traditional Nepalese Khukuri as it dings when it hits the little particles of dirt embedded in wood.
    The Ka-Bar cutlass is a more manageable blade than the CS Khukuri or Kukri. Lacking the weight forward, it is faster and more controllable when changing direction. After all, it isn't all offense, there is defense also.

I have a CS, an issue Gurkha, and an Ang Khola. The issue Gurkha is lighter, a lot faster and the sheath is a lot better than wood covered buffalo hide. The Ang Khola is a brute that surpasses a light hatchet. Great for camping except for the sheath.

I've read the Sirupati is the martial artist's favorite; what length?

BTW, as the websites seem to use both Kukri and Khukuri; I still struggle with which is correct. ;)

Hanzo likes this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Why not?

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I change my spelling form time to time too. What the heck, right?

Here's the sirupati. 20 inches.

20 inch Sirupati

Can you post pictures of the issue one? Curious how it differs.

9. HK_User

DSCF1342.JPG
    Correct.

I'll provide pictures later and what I have learned.

A couple of good points for now, one as I mentioned is the mostly sharpened clip point, another is a receiver snap on the sheath belt loop. This allows you a place to secure the strap, out of the way. The sheath is leather and the fit is very tight so most of the time you could have the strap secured on the belt loop.

At 9 3/4 inches the blade is the correct length for most jobs, this knife will replace most small hatchets and should baton well.

DSCF1341.JPG

DSCF1342.JPG

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    Witch Doctor 01 and Hanzo like this.
  10. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

In Nepalese, I'm glad I can make a good guess. :)

Search for the service number 1 Kukri or Khukuri. Except for the length, there isn't much of a difference. They are 10 to 13" and mine is ~13" and has a canvas sheath. The wood covered buffalo hide doesn't last as over time, as the blade cuts into the wood.

Nepalese Khukuri House : British Service No.1 kukri
    Nepalese Khukuri - Gurkha Kukri Exporter - Nepal Khukuri House
    Khukuri Knives - Army - Gurkha Kukris Details

As you know same as the tomahawk, the Khukuri is an offense weapon.

Witch Doctor 01 and Hanzo like this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Sweet!

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

So you use a kukri in one hand and a hawk in the other? Pretty devastating combo...

13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Actually it would be same as the colonials. a hawk in one hand and a knife in other.

Although too valuable to play with, a CISCO bolo is better than a knife.

Hanzo likes this.
  14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I would struggle to see you using a kukri as a longknife...it would be more like double tomahawk in regards to length and weight, and would not work at all in the colonial fighting manner.

15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

A Gurkha can show you kukri as long knife fighting.

16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

The tomahawk in the colonial period was paired with a large butcher, colloquially known as a longknife. And it is used primarily in the underhand grip. I had a real funny picture in my hand of someone using a kukri underhand in a longknife style...I might just be failing in my frame of reference. This might help... Old Dominion Forge Knives

kellory likes this.
  17. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@AxesAreBetter
    As @Hanzo said the Gurkha do it. however, a Kukri would not be used in a long knife style as it isn't a long knife. As I said earlier similar to the Colonials, only swapping the Hawk for a Kukri, not the knife. I apologize if you thought the reference was replacing the knife.
    IMO, the Kukri is more to the Hawk side of matters, than the knife side. More of a whack and dismember, than slice and dice.

Historically, fighting styles develop from what was available or the technology created. Before the Europeans came, as the Native American lacked steel their tomahawk was a rock with a handle used in close combat or thrown. More of a bludgeon than what we consider a tomahawk.
    Rock with a handle:
    http://www.pueblodirect.com/images/art039.jpg
    Rock with an edge:
    http://primitiveedge.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/DSC_0332.41183343_std.JPG
    The second link shows an Apache tomahawk

The European "trade axes" were steel with a wood handle. One site called them the first "tourist trap."

18. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

In my general AO, the natives used several types of all wood warclub, as well as the stone headed ax. The Alogonquin (?) referred to them all as Tomahacan, and so the Engligh thought that every Native called all of their tools Tomahawks...

The iron and wood version actually comes from the French. In the early days of colonization (1500-s-1600s), gunpowder weapons were less than idea for backwoods travel, and pistols had barely been invented. The voyagers (fur traders and trappers) brought a weapon back out of the tool chest from the 600s A.D., the Francisca. Which is a throwing ax so gruesome that their enemies named the tribe the Franks because of how much they used it...looks like this: Photo

Kings Forge and Muzzleloading Throwing Tomahawks sales kingsforgeandmuzzleloading.com

Long story short, the natives like it. It is a throwing weapon, which also helps explain why the natives throw trade tomahawks.

I am glad that we are back on point. If you want, I can post a link to what an all wood two handed (gunstock) war club can do to something. I will never disrespect an all wood weapon again.

kellory likes this.
  19. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Just bought this very saw (back to the start of the thread - you know the Bahco Laplander). While Axes are great chopping tools there comes a weight point where they are no-longer practical to me so it was one of these I turned to. I already keep another no name folding saw in my truck (along with a full sized axe and tomahawk) so I am comfortable with their use. So far I am most impressed with the Bahco. Me and my oldest friend are doing a 10 day hunt in NZ next year (chopper in walk out) so it will most certainly be part of the kit.

Andy

Ganado and kellory like this.
  20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Good to see you again, Andy. Welcome home.

1. Alanaana
    Media

Hi_I'm_Carl

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 17, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Gloves!

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 7, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Motomom34
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Ganado
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. hot diggity
  9. OldDude49
  10. DKR
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. RouteClearance
  13. Motomom34
  14. Yard Dart