Baking a Meat Pie With Baked Beans on the Side

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Brokor, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

What do you do with the left over meat from a BBQ? Well, you chop it up and use it in meat pies, that's what you do. Now, this is not a primal recipe, but I am way under my weight limit, so I am not worried. Let's get started!
    DSC00037.JPG
    Prepare your dough. I do it the old fashioned way and just add stuff as I need it, but I started with 1 cup of all purpose flour. Here are the ingredients:

Flour
    Butter
    Coconut oil
    Salt
    Sugar
    Yeast

Amounts: Flour, about 1 cup with more added as needed. Butter 1/4 stick, equal amount of coconut oil. Pinch of salt, three finger pinch of sugar, dry yeast (1/4 packet). My yeast was also from the freezer, stored 5 years and still kicking. I rolled my dough out to make one small and one large meat pie. You will be looking at the large meat pie because the small meat pie missed the camera. I added the butter and oil with hot water, melted. Then, I kneaded the dough with the yeast for at least 5 minutes until soft. Place dough in bowl to rise in warm place. Form as needed, replace and allow to rise again. Now use for meat pie...

DSC00036.JPG This is my gravy. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    DSC00035.JPG Meat!
    DSC00039.JPG Add the meat/gravy to the dough after spreading it out a little bit. Do not overwork dough.

DSC00040.JPG The meat pie. Notice I left a bit of space at the center. Add light coat of olive oil.

The final product...

DSC00041.JPG DSC00043.JPG DSC00044.JPG

Notice how flaky and awesome the crust is! It's not dense, and it is not chewy. It is a very well balanced meat pie, and the dough is super tasty.

Le Beans?

DSC00045.JPG
    I used little pearl onions, great northern canned beans, bacon (optional), regular molasses, pure maple syrup, and water. These beans are without a doubt, award winning. Because I say so.

I cooked the beans in a crock pot for about 6 hours, starting off for the first hour on 'high' and then switching to 'low' for 4 hours and finally 'warm' for the remainder of time. I stirred perhaps 3 times, that's all. Again, exact amounts varies. I usually dump 1 large can of beans in after rinsing, dump some water in, maybe a cup or so, then 1/2 cup of molasses and 1/4 cup maple syrup roughly. The rest you can figure out.

GOOD STUFF!

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Very nice Brokor!!!

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

That looks good.

1. oil pan 4
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. Alanaana
    Ribeye, bay scallops, and mushrooms
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Aug 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. JC Refuge
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Dunerunner
  8. jefferson
  9. jefferson
  10. Motomom34
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Coyote Ridge
  13. ditch witch
  14. Dunerunner
  15. Ganado
  16. Ganado
  17. HK_User
  18. JC Refuge