Baofeng ???

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by SB21, Apr 11, 2019.

1. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Thanks for all the info . I'm going to go ahead and order at least 1 of the UV-82,, or the HP models . Do ya'll feel the extra 8 watt option is worth the extra money ?

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The difference between 8 Watts and 4 Watts is only 3db... One can get the same difference with a better Antenna connected to the Radio... At these Frequencies (Vhf/Uhf) Antenna Gain is very easy to come by... The Higher the Frequency, the easier Antenna Gain is to design... Look at what the difference in cost between the two Radios, and compare that to the cost of an Antenna that will give you 3db or more Antenna Gain... and make your decision..

damoc, Idahoser, BenP and 1 other person like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

^^^^^What he said. Plus, the extra watts AND a proper whisker will do even better. Whiskers are pretty cheap.

BenP and SB21 like this.
  4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Good info. I’ll look into the antenna cost .

BenP likes this.
  5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Do they make a handheld Radio that will scan police and fire freqs ? Looking at different one's on amazon and different sites , a few mentioned they would scan those , but I'm not sure it was factual info . I think a Yeasu and a Uniden stated this , but i may be wrong on that , I looked at so many different ones . Were can find I those frequencies ? Or is all of this in the tests for the Ham license , and I'm just wasting ya'lls time with these dumb question's ?? Thanks .

6. ghrit

Yes, there are several mfrs that make 'em. See also post #10. The public service frequencies are not part of the ham license other than a passing mention, not tested on for the last three test cycles.

SB21 likes this.
  7. BTPost

There are no questions on Police & Fire Frequencies, on ANY Ham Test.... Those Frequencies are listed in CFR47Part90.... Most of the better Handheld Radios will do Scanning of Memory Channels, in one form or another... Many can be setup to scan any frequency in the 137-174Mhz, and 420 -520Mhz Bands...

SB21 and ghrit like this.
  8. sourdough145

sourdough145 Holder of the M1 thumb award...

Chirp is the best way to go.... But don't get the cheap programming cable!!! Oh ya you can get it to work ( sometimes...) , get a cable that has FTDI chip set. I have two of the prolific versions that are a pain in the a$$. FTDI cable worked on all Windows versions without the driver download juggle of the prolific clones. Four dollars more was a cheap price for the amount time and frustration saved! Oh did I say it WORKs on Windows 10 loud enough. ( Those of you who have fought the prolic driver problem know what I'm talking about ) as always YMMV

SB21 likes this.
  9. as1mov

as1mov Monkey

Hi folks, just to add. I bought the set of 2 X handsets + chargers and decent antennas, I even got 2 x magmount antennas here in the UK for under $35 on eBay.
    Range on a 'good day' is over 6 Km,crystal clear reception too. Well worth sticking in your 'bugout bag'.
    The robot voice when starting up freaks the hell out of my dog hehe.

SB21 and techsar like this.
  10. ghrit

Baofeng update info. QST, the publication arm of the ARRL has tested nearly all, if not all, the handhelds currently on the market, with results in the current issue of the magazine. Test results for the last four years are given in the mag. All the majors passed the FCC requirements for spurious and harmonic emissions. Baofeng and Wouxan did not pass all testing. There are obviously open questions, and at the moment, no answers that I've found.
    This is NOT advice, but you need to come to your own decisions. Certain observations might work for your specific case; for example, these emissions are low power and may, under most circumstances, have no detrimental effects at any significant distance from the transmitter. Just don't bet your ticket on it.

Of course, listening doesn't do those nasty emissions.

damoc and SB21 like this.
  11. BTPost

12. Nikita

Nikita On Hiatus Banned

It's great that you're exploring the world of amateur radio! The Baofeng BF-F8HP and UV-82HP are popular handheld transceivers, but it's important to note that these are dual-band radios that operate in the VHF (Very High Frequency) and UHF (Ultra High Frequency) bands. To use these radios legally, you'll need to obtain an amateur radio license in the United States.

The entry-level license is the Technician class license, and it allows you to operate on VHF and UHF frequencies, which is where these radios are commonly used. The licensing process typically involves studying for an exam, and once you pass, you'll be issued a call sign.

Here are some points to consider:
    License Requirement:
    - Yes, an amateur radio license is required to operate these radios legally.
    Range:
    - The range of these handheld radios can vary based on factors like terrain, obstacles, and antenna efficiency. In general, you can expect a few miles of coverage in typical urban or suburban environments. However, under ideal conditions, such as line-of-sight communication, you might achieve longer ranges.
    8-Watt Output:
    - The 8-watt output mentioned in the video can be useful for extending range, especially with a high-gain antenna. However, using higher power can drain the battery faster, and it may generate more heat. It's crucial to be mindful of the legal power limits specified by your amateur radio license.
    Antenna Considerations:
    - Upgrading to a high-gain antenna can indeed improve performance. Many users find aftermarket antennas to be beneficial for better range and signal quality.
    Mobile or Base Station:
    - Baofeng also offers mobile and base station transceivers if you decide to upgrade in the future. These might provide more power and additional features.
    Keep It Simple:
    - Baofeng radios can have a learning curve, especially if you're new to amateur radio. Spend some time learning about programming frequencies, repeaters, and basic radio etiquette.
    Remember to adhere to the regulations and guidelines set by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and your local governing body. Getting involved in local amateur radio clubs or finding a mentor can be helpful as you start your journey into ham radio. Good luck, and enjoy the exciting world of amateur radio!

SB21 likes this.
  1. Qwertyportne
  2. Tully Mars
  3. sdr
  4. Southbound
  5. hitchcock4
  6. Bandit99
  7. sdr
  8. Bandit99
  9. Bandit99
  10. DKR
  11. BTPost