Barber Shop Talk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melbo, Oct 23, 2006.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Seems that every time I'm getting a haircut, I hear all the old guys around me griping about the government, taxes, gun control, etc....

Same type of talk can be heard almost everywhere right now. Doesn't matter if you're a Republican or Democrat. The current situation tends to suck.

The 'issues', (I hate that term), are many and they seem to be unsolvable. Possibly created that way to be our pacifier whilst whatever Repub or Dem group in control has their way with our Country like a $2 whore on nickel day.

What to do?

Why are we always reduced to choosing the lessor of 2 evils the past decade?

I think we all agree that neither party is really doing anything in our best interest... I've noticed that most of the current Senate ads for my state don't even mention Repub or Dem on the ad. They truly are trying to hide or run from party labels. (Back to my 2 headed worm image)...

The Libertarians can't manage to tie thier shoes, let alone win any major portion of the .gov, the repubs want to slit my throat in the middle of the night, and the dems want to rob me at gun point.

We can't win this thing by following party lines. We can't win it by 3rd party votes....

I think I have a solution that might just send a message to TBTB. We will not accept the status reach around any longer...

DO NOT VOTE FOR ANY INCUMBANT NEXT MONTH.

If we threw them all out on the street. In a sweeping election upset, It would go down in the books as a mandate BY and OF We the People.

Repub Challenger: Vote for him/her
    Dem Challenger: Vote for him/her

A vote against the embedded powers would shake up the system.

Just a thought

Now back to sleep

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Good idea, now how do we persuade enough people to go for it?

3. melbo

Dunno. But I hear a whole lot of "I'm not Voting" talk. That gets us no where an I confess that I've been of that camp the past 6 or 7 years.

If you know of an outlet that could promote this idea, run with it.

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

trouble is we are a 50-50 voters evrything is 50% now days.

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Lou Dobbs in his book about the warfare with the middle class stated that if everyone wanted change, they should immediately register themselves as independents. Maybe the voting should follow this trend.

6. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

There you go, we carve a party right out of the center.

7. troubleticket

troubleticket Monkey+++

The question is this.

There will be 3 Supreme Court Judge vacancies filled in the next few years. Maybe the next 2 years. Who do you want in control of the Senate during that process?
    The choice is simple, if you want our laws to follow the Constitution then your best bet is the Replicans. If you don't care what foreign laws are used to decide our laws, vote Democrat.
    Let's look at what the Dems have given us.
    1934 GCA
    Sullivan Act
    1968 GCA
    Assault Weapons Ban

Are you catching the drift?

8. Infidel

Infidel Guest

[SIZE=-1]"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." -Ed Howdershelt (Author) ...

The first one gets nowhere since the second and the third have been taken away.

Imho Claire Wolfe is wrong. Soon the time will come when some "bastards" will get shot and then everyone will get locked down and they will take the fourth box away.
    [/SIZE]

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There was an article in one of today's on line newspapers indicating that a lot of folks in several states are now doing exactly that. The states named were in the west, specifically Arizona and others ranging north. Sorry I don't remember them, but the gist was that the party lines are making lots of folks sick to death, and they intend to drive the main party pundits and strategists to drink.

Aside, the same article mentioned a lot of kommiefornia residents are recently displaced into AZ, and registering independent.

10. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

The second amendment is the reset button on the constitution !!!!

11. melbo

Maybe this is another tool.
    http://www.networkamerica.org/ This kind of thing seems right up Tracy's ally

12. melbo

Reagan banned the manufacture of machine guns in 86. Swarzeneggar banned 50 BMGs. Two of which happen to be more my passion than a 12 gauge shotgun for hunting ducks.

They both want to have us unarmed. and frankly, 3 Bush/Gonzalez Supreme Court Justices scares the living shit out of me... What's next with this bunch. Shower drain cams to count my ass hair?

13. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Its not who appoints them that is important, its the precedent that they (the courts) set that will be the true problem.

You, see this as a party issue. You see the Republicans as championing your causes. (I happen to disagree with you, but for the purpose of this issue we can agree to disagree.) The problem is, that there is not much difference between what a Democrat or a Republican really believes. Each side pursues their agenda by useing buzz words or slight of hand when it comes to the issues. In the end however, they are not that far apart. See melbo's post above to illustrate this point.

What you, as a Republican supporter, need to be concerned about, is this. Lets say (and I'll be the first to say that this is a stretch, but it could happen) that Hillary gets both the nod and then the vote. Do you want someone that you disagree with on multiple levels to have precedent on her side? Do you want her to have access to your personal info, phone calls, whatever it might be that you hold dear? That is the question of the hour folks. Do you want someone that you view as the enemy to have unchecked power over you?

If you do not, then you need to vote. You need to send a message to those in office that we are tired of this shit. Personally, I would be happy to see both the house and the senate switch to the Dems, if only so that this unchecked presidential power would be halted where it currently stands. I would like this to continue for the rest of my given days. I would like the president to be halted by a house and senate that are controlled by members of the opposite party, regardless of what that party may be. And vise-versa. Complete and udder stalemate from now until the end of time! Nothing would be accomplished ever, and I could be left alone to do what ever it is I want to do, with out feeling like big brother was looking over my shoulders......so would you.

Just my pipe dream......

phishi

14. Quigley_Sharps

It has been that way already in the past, remember what happened?
    Remeber Bush said he would sign an Assault Weaponsa ban if it made it to his Desk, guess what the Dems would do with control .....

15. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Interesting. Thanks!

16. melbo

I think that's my point QS.

Diane and Shumer would surely sign a new and inproved AWB. (I don't think the GOP is above that trick either). But what would Hillary do with warrantless wiretaps, Sneek and Peeks, and Invisible Courts to punish her enemies. While some of you may trust Bush with this power, Do you trust the next Administration with it?

Another example is this. The Dems want to take our money and give it to the poor right? I think most here would agree to that. A Democratic administration would then likely use all the new spying/voyeur type stuff to take a look at your personal finances and CC usage to determine how much to steal from you.

My goal stated in the first post would be to simply send the message that we don't like what any of them have been up to lately and they had better start listening to we the people or they will be back out on their ass' like the ones they just beat.

It may make for a rocky decade but I think they would eventually get the point. We had better start listening to our represented citizens or start looking for a new job. The current system is pretty broken. Drastic measures may be needed to change it before our once great country is completly sold out. I'd rather try a method like this than to even think about following the advice of our Founders.

Bush may think that the Constitution is just a GD piece of paper that used to get in his way; I happen to think it was written exactly how it was to protect us from exactly what is happening right now. Not many here seem to realize the implications of the Military Commisions bill that recently gutted Habeas Corpus and most of the Bill of Rights.

From wikipedia
    more:
    <object height="350" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/igycXBseoAg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="350" width="425"></object>

The danger with drastic legislation to aid The War on Terror is this:

I feel pretty strongly about this one. I wish ohers could drop thier Party biases for a moment and think about the repurcussions... I've heard the term Bushbots... :lol: it is a fitting tag for those who refuse to take an objective look at things and instead swallow the party line hook, line, and sinker. OMHO

17. melbo

This is from 2 minutes of searching on Republicans for gun control. They are not the Ultimate 2nd amendment protector that we make them out to be. I'm sure I could fill pages with the rhetoric and pandering that happens on bi\oth sides of the isle.

http://www.gunowners.org/109srat.htm
    GOA rates Frist, Senate Majority Leader, with a D.
    He's talked about as a possible Prez candidate in some circles

:eek:

http://blog.lewrockwell.com/lewrw/archives/011168.html
    August 21, 2006

Republicans and Gun Control

Posted by William L. Anderson at August 21, 2006 12:59 PM
    I agree with Anthony. Republicans have given us gun control on the sly, but it is very effective. First, the Republicans and the NRA have pushed the current gun laws, including Project Exile and Project Safe Neighborhoods, that are de facto gun control. Second, they have increased the power of federal prosecutors to charge people with gun violations that are bogus.

For example, if someone were to find a used joint in my yard, the feds could charge me with a gun violation, since I own guns and the guns are on my property. We read of the feds adding gun violations to drug charges even though no one used, brandished, or even threatened to brandish a gun; all that was necessary was for a gun -- any gun -- to be lying about in the general vicinity.

Republicans say they are giving prosecutors the "tools" they need to keep us safe. I say that such gun laws are fraud, fraud, fraud, and a Big Lie.
    So, between Remocrats and Depublicans, we pick our poison, but it is poison.

IN 50-49 ROLL CALL, SEVEN GOP SENATORS VOTED AGAINST YOUR GUN RIGHTS
    Seven opportunistic Republican Senators contributed to the 50 to 49 victory of the gun control lobby when the U.S. Senate on May 17 voted "to demand prompt Congressional approval of new gun controls".
    The seven Republican Senators voting with the Democrats (50-49, Roll Call no. 104, 5/17/00) in favor of prompt congressional approval of new gun control legislation were Lincoln Chafee (R.I.), DeWine (Ohio), Fitzgerald (Ill.), Jeffords (Vt.), Lugar (Ind.), Roth (Del.), and Warner (Va.).

GOV. GEORGE PATAKI, (R) New York: We have five commonsense changes that will make our streets safer -- first of all, having trigger locks sold with every gun. This will help in the home, where if a gun is inadvertently stored in a way that creates a risk, at least the gun will be locked so that a child or someone not fit to use that gun won't be able to. We're going to have a state law banning assault weapons. They have no place in our society.​

BETTY ANN BOWSER: Pataki also wants: to require every gun purchaser to undergo a mandatory background check at gun show; raise the age for gun ownership from 18 to 21; and the governor wants to keep ballistics records of every new gun manufactured so they can be traced by police. Like most Republicans, Pataki has never been a big control advocate. In fact, he didn't even mention this plan three months ago in his State of the State Address. But some political observers think he's using this issue to position himself for higher office, something the governor adamantly denies. Instead, Pataki says it's the rash of killings in public schools that's made him embrace gun control. And he thinks the time is right now to put angry rhetoric coming from both sides of the issue aside.

But this is really not the point. I'm just pointing out that the usual response of "The democrats will take your guns, vote GOP" is flawed IMO. Iffen I had to classify myself, it would be Libertarian. (But I don't have the t-shirt)

Rock on

18. Quigley_Sharps

I understand,
    We are close to a Civil War as we have ever been without being in a Civil war.
    Part of my wants to speed us into it, then other part doesnt because I dont want my Children to be in the middle of it.
    I fear future generations dont have the nads to go through with it.
    Somethings going to break sooner or later.

19. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

IN 50-49 ROLL CALL, SEVEN GOP SENATORS VOTED AGAINST YOUR GUN RIGHTS

This from from the year 2000 as Jeffords left the Republican party in 01'. According to his web site "In 2001, Senator Jeffords left the Republican Party and became an independent." http://jeffords.senate.gov/about.html

Jeffords left the republican party in 01'(which was rather chicken sh*t as he left not long after his constituents voted him into office as a republican but that is another story). Since this vote took place in the year 2000, when there were 50 democrat and 50 republican, senators, this meant that only 7 out of 50 republicans voted against our gun rights. How did the democrats vote? You also have to consider of these individual states how do the people typically vote? For once Illinois is strongly pro-gun control. Check out Chicago's gun control requirements sometime.

All this being said, I do agree with you. There needs to be change, and every voter needs to look hard at who is going to represent him, and what their voting records are. What are your priorities, what are your issues, and what is the past voting records of your candidates. I would love to see change, and I don't think there is anything wrong with having different parties control the house and the senate. It does create a lot of "Gridlock" and a stalemate, which means they do nothing. Which is good for the people. Quit giving handouts to every individual group and country that lines up for it at the welfare desk and State Dept., quit passsing laws that infringe upon our rights, and protect our borders. I don't care if you have a (R), (D), or (I) behind your name.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7