Bark River bravo 1

Discussion in 'Blades' started by dustintml, Apr 23, 2023.

1. dustintml

dustintml Monkey

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-k2pame/product_images/uploaded_images/bravo-1-a2-2022-closed.jpg

Been thinking about getting this knife; from what I understand the bark river bravo 1 is one of the best bushcraft knives you can get. The convex edge just does a better job of cutting through wood. I’ve seen it demonstrated on YouTube videos. Does anybody have experience with these knives? I think there fairly easy to sharpen as well. Just run it back and forth a few times on a strop loaded with compound and you get the edge back. Don’t have to worry about rounding the bevel like you would with a scandi-grind because the edge is already convex.

Zimmy, Brokor and Hanzo like this.
  2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

BRK have a poor reputation among knife owners, bad HT, poorly fixed grips, bad grinds, lies about steel type and appalling customer service kind of sum it up. They can be pretty to look at but I would never give them a single dollar. They have a rabid fan base who will scream down anyone who calls Mike Stewart out for his crap (that he has pulled over and over for decades).

My advice to those looking for a quality blade on which to depend is pick something from the ESEE range and don’t look back (I personally own mostly Busse blades however - but they are an addiction all their own).

Nothing wrong with a convex edge, I put some on myself and have some from new. Not hard to do if that is a must for you. I prefer a simple V grind on smaller blades however.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
    Hanzo, duane and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I have never owned or used a Bark River, but they are nice to look at. Fallkniven are less pretty, but very robust with convex edges. I have a few of those. Most of my knives are a kind of hybrid scandi/convex edge but the time I am done sharpening them. Hair splitting sharp with decent edge retention.

Capt. Tyree likes this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Give me a DeRosier’s Alaskan Bush Knife over just about ANYTHING else…

Hanzo likes this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Got picture?

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I really like Bark River knives, but there are plenty of options out there that may be better (top end). The thing is, Bark River is more in the mass production/semi-custom line with decent quality for the price. Some of their knives can be a bit too expensive for what you get, but that is just supply and demand. VirtuoVice (I think that's how the name is spelled) is a YouTube guy from Japan and his channel is almost exclusively dedicated to Bark River knives. He actually gets paid by the Japanese Gov't to hunt, so he carves up more big game in a season or two than most will their whole lives. He knows knives and has adopted Bark River blades into his lifestyle. Some are really good, some are poor by his estimation, but I think he rated the Bravo 1 up there pretty high. I think he prefers the Gunny though.
    I like their Fox River blades and I use one as my main skinning knife, although I don't even hunt these days. It's in A2 and "pine cone" handle. It really comes down to your own preferences. A convex edge is superior in some ways, and if it's your thing then you know it is right for you.
    DSC01109.JPG
    SEE ALSO: STEEL And KNIVES (A Comparison and Explanation)

Hanzo and Capt. Tyree like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

IMG_0066. One of many Damascus Steel versions he makes… Wish I could afford one…

Hanzo and 3M-TA3 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7