Barrel threading

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I wouldn't, personally. I think a better option is the .223/5.56 route. These rifles are near the same length and weight, no pistol caliber but are small enough to use a .22 can which is even more savings, plus the market is saturated with complete AR flat top builds for less than $500 locally (at least in my AO). Plus, after owning a Hi-Point carbine long enough I can say it just isn't tactical by any means, more of a fun plinker or emergency truck gun.

tacmotusn, Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Already have a flat top AR with a silencer.
    That's where my rebel alliance 22 lives for now.

Brokor and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. secondrecon

secondrecon Monkey+++

ejection bag................

Tully Mars, BTPost and ghrit like this.
  4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I may be misunderstanding you and if I am then I apologize.
    One should not try and use a .22 suppressor on a .223/5.56 weapon. They can often times fail-catastrophically so. The reverse is fine and were I to purchase a suppressor I would go this route. A .223 rated suppressor will work fine on .22 calibres as well as .17 calibre.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The rebel alliance is rated for big muzzle blast center fire 22s such as 22-250 or 556 pistol.

I wouldn't want to put it on the end of a 22lr pistol. It's 1.5 inches fat and weighs like 8 ounces.
    Actual 22lr can like a gm22 is perfect for a 22lr. It's less than 1 inch fat and weighs like 2 ounces.

Brokor and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Definitely, man. What I meant was a .223 suppressor which can be used with a .22, as Rebel makes for example. Same low price, no markup, and the companies who do mark up their suppressors just take advantage of folks who live tacticool. Supply and demand, no surprise. I equate a .22 suppressor with a .223 on that principle, but I should have clarified for the non-gun-geeks out there what you did for me.

Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

They will be here tomorrow and he refunded me $30 of the $50 shipping and handling fee.
    That was like a week turn around from the day I mailed them to the day I got them back.
    But I did ship them from Witchataw falls TX and that puts them about 300 miles closer to Arlington TX and saved a day.
    Had to go help bury a body.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah send your shit to grumpys guns in Arlington, TX.
    Give your guns the evil feature they lacked.
    I'm buying that used specter2 at my local title 2 dealer.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I tried the GM22 on my modded marlin 22WMR. First round pop is kind of brutal, but that's normal on small cans. But it makes 22WMR sound like a 22LR, beyond 3 shots its quieter.
    Silicone grease or wire pulling lube get rid of most of the frp. Water makes it a lot quieter, it's like a different silencer, but by the 4th shot all the water is gone.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I wouldn't waste my time.
    Risk a $400 suppressor plus tax that took a year to get to save a few dollars on barrel threading?
    It's not a cheap hobby. It's more like an addiction.

Alf60 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I have a few that I have mounted . They are for testing only .
    I buy them for 25.00/ in steel for the 10-22 R
    My 22 bolt action I threaded it in1/2-32 and use it for coons in the early AM , I don't like to wake the Neighbours Dogs barking has them treed ..
    S

Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Godzilla

Godzilla Monkey++

Well in response to do they make it quite enough not to use hearing protection, well they suppress the noise not remove it. That depends on the caliber, load and type of suppressor.

The main reason I use them on my rifles is recoil control (#1), dust control or signature (#2) and then sound abatement (#3 so the noise doesn't carry as far), lastly reduced sound for safety instructions can be heard at the range .
    I use Surefire suppressors due to the fact that I can mount an comp on each gun and move the suppressors around to whatever gun I'm using (they lock and mount over the flash hider or comp). I use the same can for 308, 300 win mag and .223. If I dont have the can on at least I still have the comp for recoil reduction and dont have to worry about having a thread protector. The POI does not shift (not much to worry about) compared to a threaded version. I use the .308 suppressor on the .223 and it has less back pressure and the noise level is about the same as a .223 can.
    I have some pistol suppressors but be aware that you will have to switch out your sights for a higher set to see over the can. Some times you might need to switch recoil springs due to the back pressure to get them to run.
    Hope that helps.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

A high end can with lots of internals will blow back in your face. That's why I went with the simple rebel 556.
    It only has like 4 chambers, no annoying blow back in your face. It does make the gun dirtier.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Just use a revolver!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Hard to suppress a revolver.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I've seen several such attachments traveling rapidly down range. They don't seem to do any damage, but the risk of disaster is there for both the shooter and bystanders.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Sure is!!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Works on this one thanks to the designer trying to eek out the last little bit of power from the cartridge.
    I think the designers also read a lot of Dr. Seuse books and liked the pictures, because the Nagant is
    one funny looking revolver.
    [​IMG]

20. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Actually, I wasn't talking about putting a "can" on a revolver.;)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7