Barter

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by melbo, Nov 14, 2005.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Agreed Dan, I like to stay as diversified as possible.
    My Gold/Silver buys are more like a hedge against a Dollar collapse/devaluation than anything

2. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

The shelf life of a bottle of Jack Daniels is about infinite.....as long as the seal stays good. I'll say turn them upside down would keep the seal wet and last forever pretty much.

On my list of "things to set aside" is a couple cases of whiskeys in small bottles.....like 1/2 pint or pints.

Right now, the bigger priority for me is an underground warehouse......I'm out of room in the house, garage, and shop buildings......I plan to build a couple underground storage rooms this coming year scattered around my mountain.......not all eggs in one basket sorta thing.

3. Clay

Clay Monkey+++ Founding Member

I like the underground storage idea. No it doesn't hurt to not have all your preps in one place.

I also like the booze for trade idea. That's why wine and beer making are something I have been trying to learn lately. Once your stock is gone, you can make more.

I'm real big on barter anyways. I try and trade everything that I can, even if I get something that is not quite worth as much. Paper money sucks, and taxes suck even more.

4. melbo

I know that booze and ammo have much merit in trade/barter... but, I'd hate to hand a guy a 1/2 pint of whiskey and a box of ammo only to have him and his friends show back up 2 hours later. Drunk and armed wanting my stuff.

Bad mix.

I have stored booze for the right time and ammo galore. I'd rather trade cigarettes though first. Or TP

5. Clay

Clay Monkey+++ Founding Member

Good point, but hopefully trade will be with people I know and trust. If not, then the TP comes out and the booze goes away.

6. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Yup... thing about ammo is you don't want any "returns".... combine that with "spirits" and you have probably upped that possibility....

Can of beans, TP, water and or some matches.... better way to go.... :D

7. melbo

I do feel that there may be a time and place for trade of ammo. Like Rawles Barter Faire scenario... People came from miles around and traded in .22LR. I think that is a distinct possibility in a total SHTF

It's a bit like my local Gold/Silver dealer, He doesn't meet me at his home, but at a gas station. This isn't TEOTWAWKI yet, but he doesn't want any Joe off of Ebay to come to his house

Trade in ammo and booze might be able to be conducted this way if it had to...

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Bump. Early Monkey thinking, still applicable.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7