battery bank question and how to improve it

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by offgridbeginner, Feb 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. i think having 2 - 12v 100ah batteries would be enough.. thinking in 12v x 100a = 1200w the hour each battery... with 2 i would be at 2400w yes? .. i would need more solar energy for sure..

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You are bouncing all over the place with what you are trying to accomplish. Up in post 13 you are leading us to conclude you are looking for something much more than a pair of 1200 watthour batteries. Now you are asking, I think, if that pair of 1.2 kwh batteries will substitute for 96KWH in the cans. Well, no, not hardly. I begin to think you have yet to really figure out what you want to do. How about that to start with, or at least try to tell us what your changing ideas are trending toward.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That assumes that you discharge the batteries, completely to 100%... Do that ten times and you will be buying new batteries... Most recommend, max discharge is only down 20%...

Dunerunner and sec_monkey like this.
  4. im not exactly an expert by any means so im trying ot collect and read alot throught this forum and more research... i want to just provide 1000w to my station... but i would only be using 670.. the rest is for extras like a fan or a phone i may hook up but i just really want to save this power from my pc running 8 hours -9hours a day off of simple battery charge controller and solar pannels .. sorry for misleading of any sorts... im trying to find different solutions to what i want to accomplish.. or is there really only 1 way??

5. ghrit

Now there's some focus. We need one more bit if info, then can do some planning. When will those 8 or 9 hours be used, daylight or dark? Do you see why that's important?

6. day light and some dark. 11am est - 8pm est.. i live in florida adn that gets 4.5 hrs of peak light according to my zone.

7. ghrit

OK, you are unable to establish timing very well, so your design is going to have to assume worst cases, which are:
    -Simultaneous battery charging combined with full load use during daylight. This will establish your collector sizing.
    -Full load use after dark. This establishes your battery capacity requirements.

Of those two design requirements, battery capacity is the easy one. You've seen some of the thinking about that above, so there's no need to address that right now. So far as the collector sizing goes, I have to get off the stage, I don't know enough about it

offgridbeginner likes this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

IMO,
    You can't have too much battery
    All of my components are run through 3 position switching.center off - up test , down -on line .
    With this I can test the condition of each component through my volt and amp meters .
    Fact is there are going to be variations in values for each unit even come stacked in the same shipping box.
    It doesn't matter what it is batteries or panels or wind mills .
    and nothing stays the same , every thing decays at a different rate.
    Variations in weather are going to have a strong factor naturally so being tied to the grid during those events is practical.
    When it is over cast like now I have a battery charger on line just to take up the slack .
    Over and over I'd see people trying to go to the moon with a VW and it's just not made for the trip.
    Plan on a system much larger than you need. in other words when you build ,plan to expand in your building.
    I have been building my alternative energy for decades ,and some of the panels are over 45 years old, still making a contribution ,not a big one, but a contribution none the less.
    I am not bothered with the finite numbers that others worry over. there are just too many variables involved.
    New panels I get as I can afford them, are put aside, although my next investment is going to be another wind mill.
    I have 9- 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries . they seem to take a charge faster and store more in the long run. they have to for what they are designed for.
    They are series wired pared for 12 volts and I like it that way . it also makes it handy because I have several things that use 6 volts the house is wired 110/220 AC and 6volts and 12 volts DC if i really needed it I could set up an 18 volt line as well for the laptops.
    Because there is a loss (voltage drop) running long stretches of wire, from the shop trailer, where my solar is, to the house, I run an inverter for 110 to make the trip and a battery charger at the house for it's battery bank charging the batteries that are there.
    In the end ,I am very happy with my system, and my electric bill a fraction of that of my neighbors.

9. MyPrepperLife

MyPrepperLife Monkey

I'm sure you have good reasons for running the two towers and the three monitors, but if you're serious about off-grid operation of your office equipment, it would be good to find a way to trim down your configuration to just one tower and one monitor. Better yet, forget the towers and move to a laptop.

I operate an Internet-based business from my off-grid home. All my office equipment is powered by the very small solar-electric system I have - with occasional help from my Yamaha 2000-watt generator. One thing I've done to conserve power is replace my laser printer with an inkjet printer, because the inkjet printer requires much less power. (This summer I'll be installing a bigger and better solar-electric system, and after that's done I'll probably start using my laser printer again.)

10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The best way to trim down PC power useage is to get a laptop.
    Name plate on my wife's big old dell is 90w. It uses closer to 35w when it's on and the battery isn't charging.
    My smaller dell is 60 watts and uses between 20 and 30w when on but not charging.

11. jasper

jasper Monkey

I have a laptop and a widescreen. A NAS. And two routers one to extend my signal. A printer. A UPS to condition the power signal and to keep everything going when I switch plugs between inverter and generator. It's winter so I don't have refill capacity long gloomy days and coldness. A tv and it's content device. I have a 12v wind gen and 1k panels 100w. A battery charger for 18v batteries that I use on all my lights. That runs me 380w 2.5amps max.

I have four 6v 220ah batteries. I used to use the cobra and what I found is that the effort to get a big inverter was lost because I have 1/3 use of it. It draws more amps pulling my power than I actually use. Plus the wires were not sealed and havoc occurred in some stormy weather. So in changing my cables I decided to make the 24v jump.

Boy whowee. Glad I did. I went back down to 1000w reconfigured by battery bank and I can get a few. MOre hours with everything running. During the day I wished I had more things to run. But what the others are saying is true. Donate the towers to someone stuck on the grid. Get a laptop. And a widescreen so you can have two monitors and one draw on the straw.

The wind gen has made me a whole person. I got another one for my 24v system. I'm keeping the entire 12v system as a backup and a 2nd power station and running my shower pump and water heater. Hot water keeps me a happy person.

You need a shut off for turning everything off because you don't want to drain at night. Just because you have power you can use doesn't mean you should empty the batteries unless you are keen on your weather schedule.

DarkLight likes this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. TnAndy
  3. DKR
  4. Prepper12
  5. Yad Tsalach
  6. Gafarmboy
  7. TnAndy
  8. Sojourn
  9. Yard Dart
  10. jcsok
  11. Cruisin Sloth